Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shane

Brighton Pre-Match Thread

3 hours ago, Collymore said:

That would be ridiculous. Best chance of winning the FA cup we've had in a long time. 

Give both competitions the respect they deserve. 

I wouldn't want to put at risk a top 4 finish for the sake of progressing in the FA cup...I agree with previous poster.. put out the reserves!

Stay Alert!

Protect the top 4 position!

Save our Season!

😂😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, FIF said:

We need to get players in the box. we have defenders playing the wings well but the wingers aren't getting into the box to feed off the crosses from the defenders.

I'd replace Albrighton and Barnes with Perez and Iheranacho and have Gray as my first potential forward sub. Iheanacho and Perez are both more likely to get into the box than either of the wingers who played against Watford. I'm happy with Praet or Tielemans to partner Maddison and I'm happy to keep N'Didi or play Hamza as the holding mid. We have a much stronger midfield than Brighton and their attack really isn't as good as Watford's, but they have some big defenders who could cause us similar problems to Watford if we allow them too.

Most of all I think BR has to insist on an attitude change. I was more disappointed with his tactical display than anyone in our team against Watford.

Vardy was very isolated yesterday. Not been mentioned much but he was chasing a lot of wayward long balls. 

• Like 1

Putting reserves out against Chelsea would be fore fitting the cup all together. If we can’t cope with 8 games plus a cup then we may as well not bother trying to get into the CL. It will do the lads some good as we will be busy next season. 

Edited by Pliskin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SixtiesFox said:

A decent point yes, but I do get the concern of a number of posters who fear our grip on a CL spot could slip away. After the psychological blow of conceding a last minute equalizer against Watford and throwing away what would have been a priceless victory, the Brighton game becomes critically important. How important? If we fail to win it the gap to Wolves could and, given their next couple of fixtures against Bournemouth and Villa, probably will be down to 3 points or, if we lose to Brighton, 2 points by the time we play Everton. If this scenario plays out how would our path to the CL look then with a tough set of fixtures upcoming for a team that hasn't hit it's stride since Christmas and with a resurgent Man U coming up fast in our rear-view mirror? On the other hand, a win against Brighton and Wolves would be looking at an 11 point gap prior to playing their next two games.

I just think people over estimate other sides, if we take 10 points from our last 8 games, that would put 18 ahead of united, who would need to win 6 of there last 8. They have won 12 in 30, 6 in 8 is very unlikely, considering you are calling them resurgent they have still only won 4 in the last ten, Wolves have also only won 4 in 10.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 4

Personally, I would start with 3 changes from the Watford game. Gray, Praet and Perez for Barnes, Tielemans and Albrighton.

I am tempted to start Iheanacho, so that Vardy would be less isolated, but Perez has the ability and tactical flexibility to push up nearer to Vardy as and when the situation dictates (in effect, morphing between a winger/wing forward and more centrally as a support striker). Meanwhile, this starting lineup ensures that we would have players potentially coming off the bench who would be just as good as (perhaps even better than) the starters - Barnes, Tielemans and Iheanacho.

In my opinion for Man U to overtake us they need to take 20 points in their last 8 games, especially with our superior goal difference. I would expect us to take at least 11 from our last 8. Just 3 wins and 2 draws and that will be too much for them to catch up. 

We need to get the wide men involved more. Something I think Brendan will address at the end of the season by getting new bodies in to the club in that position. Maddison also needs to get in the box more to help Vardy or Nacho. 

For Brighton I would play Gray and Perez for Barnes and Albrighton. Rest the same. 

3 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

I just think people over estimate other sides, if we take 10 points from our last 8 games, that would put 18 ahead of united, who would need to win 6 of there last 8. They have won 12 in 30, 6 in 8 is very unlikely, considering you are calling them resurgent they have still only won 4 in the last ten, Wolves have also only won 4 in 10.

You are probably right, but our form since we beat Villa before Christmas needs to be turned around, and soon.. Since then we have beaten a woeful West Ham with our second string, a beaten up Newcastle and demolished a poor Villa team, again. If we can sort out our own poor form we won't have to worry about Chelsea, United and Wolves. A win against Brighton, therefore, will be huge, otherwise we could get dragged into a four-way dogfight for the 'three' remaining CL spots.

Rodgers said to RL post match yesterday that in the first half the reason why the wide men and the midfielders struggled to get on the ball was because the full-backs were too high. That forced the wingers inside where they couldn't really get the ball, and then they in turn got in the way of Maddison and Tielemans.

They fixed that at half time and we were much better, I thought. 

Expecting us to win this, and if we do we'll at least maintain the 8 point gap we had going into the lockdown. Should Chelsea fail to beat Man City as is to be expected, then we'll have lost absolutely no ground with seven games left to play.

3 hours ago, sdb said:

Vardy was very isolated yesterday. Not been mentioned much but he was chasing a lot of wayward long balls. 

I agree and it's been happening for quite a while now without Rodgers seemingly wishing to use alternative tactics. His system is pretty predictable now and the opposition have sussed us out, we're starting to look like a one trick pony.

Edited by volpeazzurro

39 minutes ago, SixtiesFox said:

You are probably right, but our form since we beat Villa before Christmas needs to be turned around, and soon.. Since then we have beaten a woeful West Ham with our second string, a beaten up Newcastle and demolished a poor Villa team, again. If we can sort out our own poor form we won't have to worry about Chelsea, United and Wolves. A win against Brighton, therefore, will be huge, otherwise we could get dragged into a four-way dogfight for the 'three' remaining CL spots.

I'm pretty confident, I heard a stat that in the last 8 seasons, the top 4 has only changed twice from how was with this amount of games to go and final table. 

Edited by coolhandfox

Guest An Sionnach

Back in the glory days ,we seemed to get the long balls to Vardy with more accuracy. He is still making the runs but we are not finding him . He loses his marker and the ball is too long or wide. I was never his biggest fan but with his accuracy Beckham would have found him seven times out of ten.

3 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Back in the glory days ,we seemed to get the long balls to Vardy with more accuracy. He is still making the runs but we are not finding him . He loses his marker and the ball is too long or wide. I was never his biggest fan but with his accuracy Beckham would have found him seven times out of ten.

He did get found once on Watford but his touch was off and didn't control.

Would have been a great 1 on 1 chance.

9 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Yes, that reason is we had a long period during this season where we consistently spanked small fry and mid-table teams for fun. With Ndidi's injury we sort of lost our stride and have not regained it yet, and we're running out of time to do so, with Chelsea, Man Utd, Wolves and Spurs having exceptionally easy run-ins.

Spurs aren’t even in the race

7 hours ago, tickler28 said:

Best chance to win the FA Cup?!? We don't have a big enough squad to cope with the fixture congestion.

I'd rather we jacked it off and concentrated on securing CL spot. 

Would you really want us to get to Wembley and a final with NO fans?

Yes

Youd rather we didn’t win it because you can’t be there?

Could you send the club a list of which years best suit you.

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I thought with the behind closed doors scenario, I’d never moan about a kick off time again. 

But here we are. 6pm, Tuesday. Gotta race from work 

Wtf 6pm thought it would be 7:45. Gonna be tough to sink enough pints after a 5pm finish to get a decent buzz for the game. They really don't think of the fans at all ffs.

Edited by Unabomber

Just now, Unabomber said:

Wtf 6pm thought it would be 7:45. Gonna be tough to sink enough pints after a 5pm finish to get a decent buzz for the game. They really

dont think of the fans at all ffs.

Disgusting we can't go in the ground yet.

• Like 1

I’d be tempted to try Maddison off the left in a 4-3-3. Free role to drift anywhere between the lines, allowing/forcing Chilwell further up to provide the width. This switch was quite effective against Watford. sick of seeing Maddison drop deeper and deeper collecting the ball off our CBs. Want to see more of him in those little pockets between midfield and defence. Gray deserves the start on the right

I want to see Brendan be more adventurous, daring and aggressive in the first half of games. Go out to take the lead and kill teams off. Get players in the box. The worst that can happen is that we concede an early goal which in all honesty normally makes us a much better attacking team and often results in goals for us.

Come on Brendan, show some balls.

1 hour ago, jeffschlupp said:

Rodgers said to RL post match yesterday that in the first half the reason why the wide men and the midfielders struggled to get on the ball was because the full-backs were too high. That forced the wingers inside where they couldn't really get the ball, and then they in turn got in the way of Maddison and Tielemans.

They fixed that at half time and we were much better, I thought. 

Expecting us to win this, and if we do we'll at least maintain the 8 point gap we had going into the lockdown. Should Chelsea fail to beat Man City as is to be expected, then we'll have lost absolutely no ground with seven games left to play.

...If that was the case, why wasn't the change made when he noticed what was going on!!

I am really getting fed up of Rodgers waiting till half time to adjust the team when that same adjustment could be made earlier, stopping the frustration on the pitch.

Taking so long to make the change is 15 minutes in the first half and 5 to 10 in the second half, being time we could be using to impose ourselves on the opposition in a more positive fashion.

He really needs to be more positive!!

1 minute ago, FIF said:

I want to see Brendan be more adventurous, daring and aggressive in the first half of games. Go out to take the lead and kill teams off. Get players in the box. The worst that can happen is that we concede an early goal which in all honesty normally makes us a much better attacking team and often results in goals for us.

Come on Brendan, show some balls.

I wouldn’t want to concede first against Brighton, they are more than capable of keeping possession and playing around us ....

After watching Brighton's performance against woeful Arsenal I still feel this next game is a crucial win for us. Was honestly not impressed with our performance against Watford at all. I for one think we got lucky by coming away with a draw. With the exception of the last game against Villa we really don't look sharp at all. I am hoping it's because of the Covid break but since Christmas we have played way too much side to side football with very little penetration. Especially now we won't have Ricky P for the rest of the season I am honestly trying to think who can penetrate other teams through midfield. For my liking Madison is coming way too deep to receive the ball. He really is not having the same impact as when he is further forward ghosting Vardy. Yesterday really didn't understand bringing on Hamza when I thought Praet was the obvious switch if we wanted to go on and win the game.