Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Crystal Palace (04/07) Pre-Match Thread

21 hours ago, norwichfox said:

Can we have Sir Nigel in charge for the remaining 6 games please.

Well that`s a shout if you like! We need someone who is totally dedicated and gets fantastic results against all odds but not sure if he`s ever picked a football team before,and think he may still be in the U.S.A.............

Guest An Sionnach

Expect Palace to concede possession , so once again we have the danger of slow build up. Distance shooting into a packed area can often seem futile but deflections can cause real problems. Every time Tielemans finds a bit of space he should let fly and not go for an easy negative pass.

We are playing very much like we did under Puel for that horrible last few months before he was sacked, and guess who leathered us 4-1 in our back yard in his final game? Yes, you guessed it, Palace. A Palace side who were dog muck as well and probably on all sorts of records for not scoring, winning away etc.

Although this ought to be a game we win and we most definitely need to win, it would come as no surprise to see more of the same and we take a battering. Its all about Kelechi tomorrow, he needs to start in a 3-4-1-2.

As its a home game lets not play with 1 striker,

Also drop the wingers, our wingers are shit. Having wingers just encourages them to blast a crap cross into a box where we don't have any players, I could understand if we had a Ulloa or Slimani type in there but we don't so its a waste. 

7 minutes ago, ozvaldo said:

Time to mix it up a bit...

924EE26B-3E3B-4BCE-9E14-9A6F2F3C8CA1.jpeg

I like this formation but wouldn’t go with the personnel. Ndidi and Tielemans > Hamza and Praet (as long as they’re fit and ready) for me. Not against giving Vardy a rest tbh. 

Seen suggestions for 4-4-2 diamond, but I think we’d get killed on the wings and JJ needs protection whilst he’s finding his feet. 

11 minutes ago, ozvaldo said:

...not too sure about Cags on the right!!

Not a natural position for him and I remember in the  Villa first leg his reluctance to close down the their wide man led to the first goal. I suspect Albrighton is an option to help him out but this is not the best use of Cags.

Edited by sacreblueits442

5 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

First half of season: Teams thought we like to “counterattack” and so to neutralise Vardy they tended to sit back, allowing our midfielders to get the ball more and play. Second half against Everton showed what we can do when the likes of Maddison, Nachos and Tielemans (I would add Praet if he stayed on and Perez and Gray if they were utilised properly) can play further upfield.

Second half of season: In December 2019, teams tried to neutralise us by pushing upfield and press us at the back (eg. Norwich, Crystal Palace, Man City, Liverpool). We could not get out of our half - other teams do it so much better than us - and the effect is that our entire football strategy is neutralised. We could not play counterattacking or any other build up that we were so good at during first half of season. Team after team since then played against us in the same way, and we had no answer, so we are bottling it. Furthermore, they know our left side is our weakness with Chilwell’s constant passback or poor final ball, so they keep pressing to let us play wide on the left.

Critical solution: We need to play the ball more upfield and by our talented midfielders. We cannot rely on Evans, Soy, Kasper and Chilwell to play creative football from our own half. I understand why BR moved Maddison down to help out, but he is not effective there. We need to rethink formation and the use of Ndidi who has been poor since the restart. Maybe we play 3 at the back with 2 DMs (Ndidi and Praet) or even just Praet in place of Ndidi if we keep to a back 4. We need our better ball handlers to get the ball out. Proof: You can see that even during the last minute of the Everton game, despite the urgency, Evans, Soy and Chilwell could not even manage to pump the ball upfield into the box and they were so minded to pass sideways even in that situation!!

I think the issue with three at the back is that it relies on the wing-backs so heavily and I don't believe our current full-backs offer enough going forward. It could just result in the middle of the pitch being so congested that the full-backs see too much of the ball (see Villa at home in the cup as the perfect example and that was with Ricardo!)

I think in matches like Saturday's we need to utilise more technical players and less counter attacking players. So no Barnes, no Gray, no Albrighton and maybe even no Vardy. Fill the formation with as many players as possible that can pass and move at pace. If we manage to go ahead then we have the counter attacking options to come off the bench. It also leaves those counter attacking players fresh for the Arsenal match where they'll be most needed.

Edited by Ricey
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ricey said:

I think the issue with three at the back is that it relies on the wing-backs so heavily and I don't believe our current full-backs offer enough going forward. It could just result in the middle of the pitch being so congested that the full-backs see too much of the ball (see Villa at home in the cup as the perfect example and that was with Ricardo!)

I think in matches like Saturday's we need to utilise more technical players and less counter attacking players. So no Barnes, no Gray, no Albrighton and maybe even no Vardy. Fill the formation with many players as possible that can pass and move at pace. If we manage to go ahead then we have the counter attacking options to come off the bench. It also leaves those counter attacking players fresh for the Arsenal match where they'll be most needed.

This exactly. Thats what frustrates me a lot about Rodger. To me unless you are a top top team like City or Liverpool there is not a one size fits all in terms of playing, you need to adapt to take on the oppositions weaknesses. Sometime that will be possession domination and quick movement, some times it will be high pressing, some times sitting back and counter, we also can not be afraid to use long balls when needed. We are too rigid in our approach. I hope Rodgers can learn to be more adaptable. 

• Like 2

We spent 3 months playing really nice football - it took that long for teams to figure us out. Since then, we've not figured out how to break teams down with the same tactics. 

I would love to See Fuchs & Wes play. Hamza too. I appreciate this makes me sound like 'Yer Da', but this team needs a set of balls. 

Just need a shitty 1-0 win. Doesn't matter how we do it. 

• Sad 1

Nacho has to start imo and given all of our wingers seem out of form gone for a 3-4-1-2. Not sure about JV starting but think if AP partnered KI they’d both be dropping deep to link up play getting in eachothers and JM’s space, need someone to stretch the defence.

JV  -  KI

JM

BC  -  YT  -  WN  -  MA

CS  -  JE  -  JJ

KS

Just need a proper shithouse win to get our season going again. 

2 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Also drop the wingers, our wingers are shit. Having wingers just encourages them to blast a crap cross into a box where we don't have any players, I could understand if we had a Ulloa or Slimani type in there but we don't so its a waste. 

Our full backs are the worst for these lofted aimless crosses.

Quite correct. Playing in aimless crosses & hitting long hopeful balls for Vardy to chase is a complete waste of time

We’ll need wingers, Palace play wide often. Our fullbacks will be pinned back a fair bit and left exposed if we don’t have any cover out wide. 

I know where at home but we can’t afford to allow Zaha and Kouyate free reign out wide, PVA will get forward given the chance as well. Chilwell and Justin won’t cope alone against overlapping fullbacks and wingers. 

We're so much more dynamic when our forward players are driving towards and into the penalty area. Shoving crosses into the box from wide areas simply get us nowhere. Vardy up top. Yes he's out of knick, but that will change. Kelechi just behind running at defenders. He's good at that. Madders close to them both. Our most creative player by some distance. We have to give those three a platform to frighten Palace. 3-5-2 might be the answer for this game, so:

Kasper

Cags        Jonny     CF

JJ                                                 Chillers

Wilf

Youri

Madders

Kelechi

Vards

37 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

We’ll need wingers, Palace play wide often. Our fullbacks will be pinned back a fair bit and left exposed if we don’t have any cover out wide. 

I know where at home but we can’t afford to allow Zaha and Kouyate free reign out wide, PVA will get forward given the chance as well. Chilwell and Justin won’t cope alone against overlapping fullbacks and wingers. 

3 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Does having a fancier dressing room than the opposition make that much difference?

Edited by turtmcfly
less argy. less bargy
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ricey said:

I think in matches like Saturday's we need to utilise more technical players and less counter attacking players. So no Barnes, no Gray, no Albrighton and maybe even no Vardy. Fill the formation with as many players as possible that can pass and move at pace. If we manage to go ahead then we have the counter attacking options to come off the bench. It also leaves those counter attacking players fresh for the Arsenal match where they'll be most needed.

Actually, I was not thinking of wing backs for precisely the reason you mentioned.  I actually don’t mind this suggestion:

3 hours ago, ozvaldo said:

Except I would keep Vardy and have Perez on the bench and perhaps I would have Tielemans instead of Hamza.

Edited by Tom12345