Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Crystal Palace (04/07) Pre-Match Thread

1 hour ago, Danny Clender said:

4 games in and BR and the team have proved there has to be change, I really thought the 1st half 2019 season system would work again, sadly it hasn't enough. 

Whatever set up, Iheanacho has to be on the pitch at the start, he can pick the ball up deeper and make things work better than Vardy can at the moment. 

Maddison needs to create as a 10, even a false 9, without the defence element of an 8, which is a worry if he's still injured. 

The 3 at the back call sounds stronger than ever as Justin showed he's not showing the confidence for this type of pressure yet. 

Schmeichel

Evans Soyuncu Fuchs

Choudhury Ndidi Tielemans Chilwell

Maddison

Perez Ihenacho

If Maddison can't start; 

Schmeichel

Evans Soyuncu Fuchs

Choudhury Ndidi Tielemans Chilwell

Perez

Barnes Ihenacho

At this point of the season, and for what's at stake, we really should not have to be introducing radical new set up's as we are suggesting, but that's where we are. 

I've still got faith in Rodgers, but he's got to work it out now and justify that faith. 

CL qualification is not over and I do still think we'll do it, but I'm sure Brendan understands what his realistic achievements are for this season, but to at least end the season with some wins will ease the pressure. 

email these lineups to the club :) they radical and thats what makes me like them, we need a radical change.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, kingfox said:

This game will really show what Rodgers is about, if he doesn’t change formation and play two up front, then he’s lost the plot.

Schmeichel

Evans - Soyuncu - Fuchs

Justin - Tielemans - Ndidi - Chilwell

Maddison

Iheanacho - Perez

Vardy will probably start but I think he needs a game out. Iheanacho and Perez worked against West Ham & Newcastle away, as something desperately needs to change, I’d like to see their partnership again.

I started typing my reply out before clicking past the first page - glad I did as I was going to post the exact same team and formation (apart from Praet for Youri, but either works).

Let Justin/Chilwell focus on attack without having to cover at the back as well (that's what cost us the first goal yesterday), Vardy has been anonymous and needs dropping, as does Barnes and Albrighton. Perez prefers to play centrally and Iheanacho has looked good whenever he's came on, so I'd like to see them together again.

Even Gray could get a shout as he's at least tried to make things happen the last few games. I'd prefer a wingback giving the width rather than an out-and-out winger just for a bit extra security, but I wouldn't be opposed to him taking that spot instead.

Something needs to drastically change and quick.

Guest An Sionnach

If Vardy stops scoring we were always going to struggle . Opposition defences have lost their constant worry about him and do not rate our goal threat . I can barely see anyway we can score more than one goal in a match if he is not contributing.

20 minutes ago, Danny Clender said:

Very true...errrrr Justin? Albrighton? the pocket of Zagorakis?

Exactly. It's not a great proposition either way, but I'd go for Justin for defensive capabilities. Or Riccy P in a wheelchair.

3 at the back allowing 1 more body to get in the oppositions penalty box please. Maddison from the bench again. 

Kasper

Evans    Morgan    Soyuncu 

Ndidi   Tielemans 

Albrighton                       Chilwell                         Perez

Iheanacho      Vardy 

Edited by Gazza M

Vital that we start this game well. Palace will know that and will deploy the lowest of blocks from the off.

A lot of people wanting three at the back, but with Palace'a counter attacking threat it will often turn into a back 5 and it will be Villa at home in Cup all over again.

Schmeichel

Justin   Evans    Soyuncu    Fuchs

Ndidi    Tielemans

Perez           Praet       Maddison

Iheanacho

I'm a hypocrite for putting Maddison out wide, but normally when we do that we don't pick anyone else in his place as a No.10 and I think it's that which causes us to be ineffective. I just think we'll need the width but Albrighton, Gray and Barnes just aren't up to it at the minute.

We know Palace will force us out wide and I can't bear to watch another 90 minutes of Justin and Chilwell swinging in ineffective crosses. That midfield 5 of Perez, Praet, Maddison, Tielemans and Ndidi have the potential to keep the ball and move it around quickly. That'll be vital on Saturday, especially early on.

Fuchs is a better passer, better in the final third and better from set-pieces compared to Chilwell, which again will be vital on Saturday. Bit concerned about Palace's pacey wingers against Fuchs, but it's a risk worth taking.

Go infront, hold on to it and then bring Vardy on for the final 30 minutes to hit them on the counter.

35 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Wtf is Pick? 

Is it also on Main Event? 

Freeview version of Sky One? 

It's on channel 11 on Freeview. They've had a few games already including the Everton Liverpool game. 

They've got our Bournemouth game on there as well. 

A narrow formation and Zaha/van Aanholt will destroy Justin. It has to be a 4-3-3 with a winger to cover for him. The 4-3-3 has been very static though. My tentative solution is Iheanacho starting. Hopefully he can provide us with the dynamism we are lacking at the moment.

32 minutes ago, sdb said:

Exactly. It's not a great proposition either way, but I'd go for Justin for defensive capabilities. Or Riccy P in a wheelchair.

yeah, it's true...only way for Justin to gain that confidence is to continue playing, I see him as the type to stand up to it and come out better, hopefully last nights game at Everton showed him the reality of his position. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

3 at the back allowing 1 more body to get in the oppositions penalty box please. Maddison from the bench again. 

Kasper

Evans    Morgan    Soyuncu 

Ndidi   Tielemans 

Albrighton                       Chilwell                         Perez

Iheanacho      Vardy 

Bit harsh to put Perez in the XI and yet force him to sit on the bench

• Haha 1

If Maddison is injured then I think a classic 4-4-2 would be best.

Kasper

Justin Evans Soyuncu Chilwell

Albrighton Tielemans Ndidi Barnes

Iheanacho Vardy

Swap Tielemans for Praet when he tires. 

It's weird how - when you make up these team sheets - everything seems so weak now. Doing this 6/7 months ago it felt like we had 2/3 players for every postion.

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach
11 minutes ago, SuperMike said:

Lots of different line-ups suggested on here. Lots n lots n lots! But ALL of them will lose to Palace unless there is a complete change of mindset at the club.....

......over to you Brendan and Kolo.

We have one problem No Goal Threat. We can play them off the park , not score and get mugged in the 85th minute. Hopefully we can get through this season and achieve 4th or 5th but the lack of a proven partner for Vardy   must be sorted for next season.

Personally i would go with the diamond

Kasper

JJ   Evans   Soy    Chilwell

NdidI

Tielemens Praet

Maddison

Vardy Nacho

This lets YT get further up the pitch and play with more freedom, Maddison just behind the strikers in a no 10 role where he seems the most effective. Nacho will come deeper for the ball, and we saw at Everton is not afraid to run at defences, this will give Vardy more space and hopefully bring him into the game more. Full backs can provide the width (Chilwell looks much better when he is operating down the left on his own) with Wilf and Dennis providing cover where needed.  If Maddison not fit then i would give Perez a go sitting behind the front two.

My only concern is that as much as i like the lad and think he shows promise JJ is still very inexperienced at this level and Zaha could rip him a new one. Brendan will be looking at this also and i fear he may stick with Albrighton as extra cover. Again as much as i like Marc this would unbalance the team and mean sacrificing either the second striker of one of the midfield meaning YT would end up dropping deeper again. 

Whilst Zaha is obviously their biggest threat we should go for it and play to our strengths and not set up merely to counter theirs. Wilf may have to sit just a little deeper, drop into the CB position so that Evans can go across and help JJ out when they counter.

Hodgeson is no mug and he will have pinpointed that the right hand side is our weakness at the minute so it will be imperative that we keep up a high press from our forwards, YT and DP to keep Zaha penned in. 

If its not working and we need to change things around then for me we bring in Gray on the right and Albrighton on the left

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

It's weird how - when you make up these team sheets - everything seems so weak now. Doing this 6/7 months ago it felt like we had 2/3 players for every postion.

You get to know players more, especially the new ones such as Perez and Praet we know what they're about now, basically steady eddy's. Justin unfortunately is struggling, but I liked what I saw of him on the left, which is the position he's played most in the last few years of his career.

Nacho will be unlucky not to start.  However, as lacklustre as Vardy as looked he’s still the man you want a clear cut chance to fall to and you want him on the pitch. That second chance Nacho had where he mis hit with his right foot is most likely in the net had that been Vardy. It’s a case of how we get both players on the pitch. I wouldn’t be against Vardy going back into his Pearson role of a wide attacking player with Nacho the out and out striker. Yes I know he’s a number 9 and all that but I think he’d better in that role that Nacho would be and it keeps him on the pitch. Also it would totally catch Palace off guard first twenty mins. I’d rather Vardy playing that role than one or two of the options.  

Guest ttfn
2 hours ago, Ricey said:

Vital that we start this game well. Palace will know that and will deploy the lowest of blocks from the off.

A lot of people wanting three at the back, but with Palace'a counter attacking threat it will often turn into a back 5 and it will be Villa at home in Cup all over again.

Schmeichel

Justin   Evans    Soyuncu    Fuchs

Ndidi    Tielemans

Perez           Praet       Maddison

Iheanacho

I'm a hypocrite for putting Maddison out wide, but normally when we do that we don't pick anyone else in his place as a No.10 and I think it's that which causes us to be ineffective. I just think we'll need the width but Albrighton, Gray and Barnes just aren't up to it at the minute.

We know Palace will force us out wide and I can't bear to watch another 90 minutes of Justin and Chilwell swinging in ineffective crosses. That midfield 5 of Perez, Praet, Maddison, Tielemans and Ndidi have the potential to keep the ball and move it around quickly. That'll be vital on Saturday, especially early on.

Fuchs is a better passer, better in the final third and better from set-pieces compared to Chilwell, which again will be vital on Saturday. Bit concerned about Palace's pacey wingers against Fuchs, but it's a risk worth taking.

Go infront, hold on to it and then bring Vardy on for the final 30 minutes to hit them on the counter.

I had managed to block the 3 at the back against Villa out of my mind. Unbelievable waste of an opportunity.