Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Crystal Palace (04/07) Pre-Match Thread

1 hour ago, urban fox said:

Personally i would go with the diamond

Kasper

JJ   Evans   Soy    Chilwell

NdidI

Tielemens Praet

Maddison

Vardy Nacho

Seen a few people suggest this. I was going to post this exact line up too. 

Tielemans for all his shortcomings still looks the best player to thread a ball through an opposition's defence.

Praet has probably been most consistent midfielder (par maybe ndidi)

and Maddison still has potential to scare the opposition and make things happen when  he is allowed to drop some of this defensive duties.

I disagree with those wanting Vardy dropped. Yes he's not at his best right now but he won't recapture his form on the bench. If he has the right type of support (we can't flood the opposition's box to get the best from Vardy, but neither can we leave him isolated), he'll find his scoring boots again in no time. And when Vardy is scoring we're normally winning.

Iheanacho has done more than enough to warrant a chance at starting.

My main concern (because this formation isn't without risk) is Justin. He's not going to offer the same width as Pereria who we miss greatly.

We don't have the strength in squad to replace one of our stars yet, or to rotate without weakening the first team, and that's the real difference between us and the Man Cities' of this league.

Chilwell gets berated, but if Brendan could get players in the box as he does his runs and he knows they are there he'd be able to cross before running out of pitch, and be able to handle the left wing by himself.

• Like 1

Kasper

Albrighton

Evans

Soy

Chillwell

Barnes

Ndiddi

Maddison

Perez

Vardy

Nacho

while I like Tielmans and Preat we need width and pace.   Maddison claims he is a box to box midfielder so let’s see if he is.

Albrighton is good enough defensively and offers more going forward.

19 hours ago, Brooksy said:

Palace are very generous odds to win

Unbelievable odds to be honest. Worth getting on -1 and -2 - given they've both also paid out the last two years in this fixture and everything about it suggests this is going to be more of the same.

For me I'd like to see us play the diamond formation that we used at Villa away in the league. It is a formation that suits the players in our squad and is one that Rodgers has used previously at his past clubs.

Schmeichel

Justin       Evans               Soyuncu            Chilwell

Ndidi

Praet                Tielmans

Maddison

Iheanacho           Vardy

In my view this team will play to our strengths and is a system when Ricardo returns that will work even better in the long run.

26 minutes ago, tfoxt said:

For me I'd like to see us play the diamond formation that we used at Villa away in the league. It is a formation that suits the players in our squad and is one that Rodgers has used previously at his past clubs.

Schmeichel

Ndidi

Maddison

In my view this team will play to our strengths and is a system when Ricardo returns that will work even better in the long run.

This is the team and formation I want to see. With who is available now, and the fact all are wingers are pony it’s our best option.

Wouldn’t mind Fuchs coming in for a game. get Nacho up with vardy and if Fuchs can get into a few good positions his delivery is better than Chilwell and would be a bit more solid defensively. Wouldn’t hurt to try as what we have been doing isn’t really working 

6 hours ago, Finn Claw II said:

Albrighton is good enough defensively and offers more going forward.

He really isn’t you know! I’ve had the misfortune to see his few outings at RWB since 2016/17 and they’ve been uniformly horrible. 

40 minutes ago, tfoxt said:

Schmeichel

Ndidi

Maddison

We'll be murdered against Palace who utilise an attacking fullback and wingers. 

8 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

We'll be murdered against Palace who utilise an attacking fullback and wingers. 

Having watched Palace's recent matches they will spend most of the match camped in their own half looking to catch us on the break. I don't think their fullbacks will be getting forward too much. This formation however relies on one of the three midfielders helping out the fullback for attacks down the wings and so it would be possible to play it against a team with attacking full backs if your midfield is able to cover large distances. Also its not like some of current wingers e.g Barnes provide much cover as it is.

Edited by tfoxt

1 minute ago, tfoxt said:

Having watched Palace's recent matches they will spend most of the match camped in their own half looking to catch us on the break. I don't think their fullbacks will be getting forward too much. This formation however relies on one of the three midfielders helping out the fullback for attacks down the wings and so it would be possible to play it against a team with attacking full backs if your midfield is able to cover large distances.

Like Wilf or  Papy?  :ph34r:

I’d be tempted to try something new and go for a back three.

Kasper

Soyuncu

Evans

Fuchs

Albrighton/Justin

Ndidi

Praet

Chilwell

Maddison

Nacho

Vardy/Perez

Half tempting to drop Vardy but if we’re trying two up top from the start I’d give him another go but wouldn’t mind him sitting out for Perez either. 

I'd mix it up a bit for shits and giggles:

Schmeichel

Soyuncu.    Big Wes.     Fuchs

Albrighton.                                     Chilwell

Tielemans.  Ndidi.   Praet

Perez

Vardy

Note I've given Evans a rest

Edited by tickler28

10 hours ago, StanSP said:

Freeview version of Sky One? 

It's on channel 11 on Freeview. They've had a few games already including the Everton Liverpool game. 

They've got our Bournemouth game on there as well. 

Also on channel 144/147(HD) on freesat for us freesatters out there. 

First half of season: Teams thought we like to “counterattack” and so to neutralise Vardy they tended to sit back, allowing our midfielders to get the ball more and play. Second half against Everton showed what we can do when the likes of Maddison, Nachos and Tielemans (I would add Praet if he stayed on and Perez and Gray if they were utilised properly) can play further upfield.

Second half of season: In December 2019, teams tried to neutralise us by pushing upfield and press us at the back (eg. Norwich, Crystal Palace, Man City, Liverpool). We could not get out of our half - other teams do it so much better than us - and the effect is that our entire football strategy is neutralised. We could not play counterattacking or any other build up that we were so good at during first half of season. Team after team since then played against us in the same way, and we had no answer, so we are bottling it. Furthermore, they know our left side is our weakness with Chilwell’s constant passback or poor final ball, so they keep pressing to let us play wide on the left.

Critical solution: We need to play the ball more upfield and by our talented midfielders. We cannot rely on Evans, Soy, Kasper and Chilwell to play creative football from our own half. I understand why BR moved Maddison down to help out, but he is not effective there. We need to rethink formation and the use of Ndidi who has been poor since the restart. Maybe we play 3 at the back with 2 DMs (Ndidi and Praet) or even just Praet in place of Ndidi if we keep to a back 4. We need our better ball handlers to get the ball out. Proof: You can see that even during the last minute of the Everton game, despite the urgency, Evans, Soy and Chilwell could not even manage to pump the ball upfield into the box and they were so minded to pass sideways even in that situation!!

• Like 1