Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Brendan Rodgers

5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I agree with all of this to be fair but is he wrong in this statement? It's not an incorrect thing to say...

Financially no, on the pitch we have enough ability to mix it with just about anybody.

Puel got good results against teams like Liverpool and Man City, under Rodgers we’ve just rolled over against teams like that.

To me he lacks belief that this team can do the business against the so called “Big Six”, it’s an overly negative way to look at things.

He seems happy with 5th because the aim was top six, just proves his glossing over the fact that we’ve bottled a terrific chance at Champions League football.

• Like 1

Just now, kingfox said:

Financially no, on the pitch we have enough ability to mix it with just about anybody.

Puel got good results against teams like Liverpool and Man City, under Rodgers we’ve just rolled over against teams like that.

To me he lacks belief that this team can do the business against the so called “Big Six”, it’s an overly negative way to look at things.

He seems happy with 5th because the aim was top six, just proves his glossing over the fact that we’ve bottled a terrific chance at Champions League football.

Rodgers is a man who believes in positivity. Of course he's going to say he's happy to have finished 5th. It's his job to lift these players. Bemoaning the fact we've thrown away top 4 isn't going to help him do that.

Just now, kingfox said:

Yeah but Puel also bottled results against teams we should have beaten, so that comparison is somewhat flawed?

On the pitch, I don't think we have enough ability to mix it up at all. Especially not Liverpool or Man City, even if we do beat them once in a while. 

I think we have some great quality around the squad but some other squads are far better. 

I don't disagree about the belief thing. Like I said some of the statements he comes out with is concerning and almost lack ambition. 

If the aim was top 6, then you would be happy with 5th. That's just simple logic. I really don't think it's beyond his own awareness and knowledge that we've not performed well at all for a while. He's even stated as such in some other interviews so it's not always negative, just realistic. 

No-one in their right mind would deny we've bottled Champions League. We can of course naturally look at where the weakenesses are and it'd be weird if Rodgers and players don't do the same (I don't see why they wouldn't). 

23 minutes ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

I thought Nacho looked great. Why did he get binned again? 

I'd love to see him do well. He is very left-footed and the opposition know this - needs to get some intensive training on using his right foot

4 minutes ago, Simoken said:

Those asking for him to be sacked should be ashamed of themselves. #perspective

Sacked? Definitely not!

Yes, this could well be a conversation after 7-8 games of the new season, because we had a lengthy break, form didn't improve, and there's no reason to believe that a Congerton-Rodgers double act can work wonders on a reduced budget. The reins will have to be a lot tighter than they might have been if he hadn't so thoroughly bottled it. So it's true, he either re-evaluates quickly - with a more self-effacing approach - or he'll be gone before long. And, like Liverpool in 2015, we could find ourselves with quite a project on our hands when he leaves.

However he's a bright guy. If he steps back from that culture of arrogance that he's been tirelessly encouraging, he might actually be able to turn things around. But if he does, it'll be with a more open mind about how you go about winning a match, and an acceptance (privately, not publicly) that he's made some shocking, elementary mistakes since December.

We can't kick off too much over 5th place. But I don't think there'll be a honeymoon after this one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tuna said:

Missing 3 of our best players today, he's got a lot wrong but not sure what else he could have done today, daft errors cost us the United game and it's not his fault we can't score goals.

...absolutely no composure in front of goal!!!

Surely the coaching staff has some input in the mindset of the players.

Players swinging at shots, shooting off balance making the wrong decisions, what do they do in their coaching sessions.

Ndidi shooting 20+ yards out, he doesn't hit the target, as usual, you make sure it doesn't happen again, instead he should be recycling the ball. The reason why he is shooting is because he doesn't see the other options.

The same things happen every game, we shouldn't have to spend £30m for someone to understand, their limitations.

3 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Yeah he is stubborn but he changes the team too much. Some weird fans we have.

We fell short by one point, stop crying and bitching.

He changes personnel at the expense of changing style. That just means you're blaming the staff instead of the ideology. It doesn't mean you're open to new ideas.

Besides, it didn't work.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Yeah but Puel also bottled results against teams we should have beaten, so that comparison is somewhat flawed?

On the pitch, I don't think we have enough ability to mix it up at all. Especially not Liverpool or Man City, even if we do beat them once in a while. 

I think we have some great quality around the squad but some other squads are far better. 

I don't disagree about the belief thing. Like I said some of the statements he comes out with is concerning and almost lack ambition. 

If the aim was top 6, then you would be happy with 5th. That's just simple logic. I really don't think it's beyond his own awareness and knowledge that we've not performed well at all for a while. He's even stated as such in some other interviews so it's not always negative, just realistic. 

No-one in their right mind would deny we've bottled Champions League. We can of course naturally look at where the weakenesses are and it'd be weird if Rodgers and players don't do the same (I don't see why they wouldn't). 

And Rodgers has done exactly the same, couldn’t beat Norwich, drew against Watford and lost to Bournemouth, those three teams have been relegated and not beating them, has played a part in us finishing outside the top 4.

I said on here the other day, I don’t expect us to beat Liverpool and Man City on a consistent basis, to get rolled over by them when we were in the top 4 is disappointing to see.

The quality is there, of course other teams have better squads but that’s the most frustrating thing, those teams will only get stronger now. We knew at the start of the season that this was a big chance to get top 4, Wolves no doubt had the same mentality. We came the closest but it’s still a disappointing end to the season, because we’ve blown a 14 point lead and a Champions League spot, we might not get a chance like this again for a good while.

Rodgers has had many chances recently to get things right, to change mentality yet he’s failed every time. Now he must get it right going into next season, pick this team up and try and go again.

As I said earlier in another post, start of next season will show us what he’s about, he needs to start showing belief, if not this trend will only continue and he’ll be out the door.

Edited by kingfox
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, kingfox said:

And Rodgers has done exactly the same, couldn’t beat Norwich, draws against Watford and Bournemouth, those three teams have been relegated and not beating them, has played a part in us finishing outside the top 4.

I said on here the other day, I don’t expect us to beat Liverpool and Man City on a consistent basis, to get rolled over by them when we were in the top 4 is disappointing to see.

The quality is there, of course other teams have better squads but that’s the most frustrating thing, those teams will only get stronger now. We knew at the start of the season that this was a big chance to get top 4, Wolves no doubt had the same mentality. We came the closest but it’s still a disappointing end to the season, because we’ve blown a 14 point lead and a Champions League spot, we might not get a chance like this again for a good while.

Rodgers has had many chances recently to get things right, to change mentality yet he’s failed every time. Now he must get it right going into next season, pick this team up and try and go again.

As I said earlier in another post, start of next season will show us what he’s about, he needs to start showing belief, if not this trend will only continue and he’ll be out the door.

Again, I don't disagree with much of what you say and I think we just end up at the same place lol 

But the bit in bold goes back to the 'resources' thing, doesn't it. Those 'top 6' will happily spend £100s of millions of pounds without any hesitation. Don't think we're in a position to do that.

I think some fans will be surprised at how 'quickly' we could challenge again. But only if we get recruitment right! This window is massively important and crucial. But I'm pretty sure fans in 15/16 said we may not get Europe again any time soon so have to make the most of it. Yet 3 seasons later we're back on a European Tour :D

Just on the mentality thing as well - for the most part it's been concering. But the players showed some resilience and reaction after the Bournemouth win. I think the attitude is there (can still be improved) and definitely some questionable decisions by Rodgers tactically but it's the quality on the pitch beyond our first XI where we're let down and that's shown in the past month or so. 

Next season we definitely have to start strong. Couple of wins from the off regardless of who we play.

Just now, Vacamion said:

Just saw Brendan was trending on Twitter.

It's mostly a lot of Celtic fans giving it the biggun, but also some City fans being the spoilt entitled brats we laughed at Arsenal for.

:revenge:

Makes for sad reading. I understand the anger and frustration, God knows I'm raging but the vitriol for Brendan and the players who have given it everything is appalling IMHO. I really don't think we bottled it at all today, it came down to one error really.

Brendan has made mistakes - *news flash* managers make mistakes. Overall he's done a very good job and a very good side is emerging. I think manager and players will be stronger for this experience.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Ndidi shooting 20+ yards out, he doesn't hit the target, as usual

I'm always questioning why the ball manages to find its way to his feet and not youri's at the boxes edge. His passing range has come on a long way this season, I think Rodgers has done some good there but his shooting sure as shit hasn't

16 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

He changes personnel at the expense of changing style. That just means you're blaming the staff instead of the ideology. It doesn't mean you're open to new ideas.

Besides, it didn't work.

Depends on your outlook.