Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Brendan Rodgers

1 minute ago, shailen said:

Well tbh if it was the other way round, with modern day football he'd have been lucky to survive the first half of the season. I'm just saying we've seen the best and worst of Brendan this season. His set up is good and he wants us to dominate games but his inability to change the approach when our main players are out is a little concerning. Wes, Jonny, Justin and Thomas aren't going to be able to play their way out against the likes of United. 

Look, I'm not criticising anyone for wanting him sacked. God knows I got enough stick for wanting Puel out. It could be that we carry on this form next season and he has to be sacked. I just think 5th is good enough for him to keep his job a bit longer.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, sdb said:

Reiterates how brilliant Ranieri was in the second half of 15/16. Managed the pressure and handled the players so well.

If there are key differences I would highlight to these situations, it’s that our fixture list and spaces between games during that run in AND the age of our squad were a lot, lot kinder.

Out of the cups, we’d have full weeks to prepare for games, sometimes even two - we also had Fuchs, Wes, Vardy etc at much younger ages.

Player wise we also had a certain N’golo Kante and Riyad Mahrez - both undoubtedly world class - and a handy backup striker in Ulloa who gave us a plan B when needed. Nacho doesn’t quite live up to that kind of option (at least yet).

Rodgers on the other hand had a go with the cups - maybe a mistake, because those were extra miles on the clock of the players legs that could have been the difference in the end.

However, I don’t think we would have accepted putting out a b-side in the end.

Snd that meant games came thick and fast either side of lockdown - and of the squad was creaking fitness wise come that point (with our list of absentees suggesting it might have been), a short lay off followed by a heightened period of games was never going to be kind to us.

Indeed, on reflection we looked lack lustre in that first game back against Watford - but if your body isn’t up to the levels it should be and there’s no crowd there to provide that extra bit of impetus, that adrenaline to get your through it, then maybe that’s understandable in hindsight?  

Edited by DJ Barry Hammond

Unfortunately I dont see him rectifying this form in September. Plus I'm worried about our signings or lack thereof.

If we are not challenging for top 4 early doors next season the knives will be out for him. He needs a good start.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Corky said:

We won't be finishing in the top 4 with him in charge- other teams will improve and possibly pull away from us. This was an amazing opportunity and we've thrown it away like you wouldn't believe.

We are Leicester and you are expecting top 4 !

• Like 1

Just now, Webbo said:

Look, I'm not criticising anyone for wanting him sacked. God knows I got enough stick for wanting Puel out. It could be that we carry on this form next season and he has to be sacked. I just think 5th is good enough for him to keep his job a bit longer.

Oh I agree, I think he's done enough over the season to keep his job for sure. 5th is a good finish so I'm not saying his job is in danger yet. I just think he's a little naive tactically and believes we're good enough to control every single game and play through teams. We might be with our first XI but when we lost 3/4 of that we should have become more solid and less expansive. I hope he reflects on that now and tries to improve on that. 

30 minutes ago, shailen said:

I see what he's trying to build, with us playing a style similar to how Man City play. We are in control of most games we play including today but it's high risk football and the players need to follow the game plan even if they suffer from a loss in confidence. We also have to accept if we play this way we will concede a few chances to the opposition but our heads should not drop.

For me, if we master this style and all the players believe in it, we will be around this level every season. If the players don't believe in it, then we will ultimately fall down the table and Rodgers will face the sack inevitably. 

Exactly we’re trying to play the Man City way with much worse players! Imagine with a few more Ricardo/tieliemans signings across the team. Keep positive and and let’s aim to turn a negative into a positive by going for the Europa league 

Edited by Heymister2015

3 minutes ago, Koke said:

Unfortunately I dont see him rectifying this form in September. Plus I'm worried about our signings or lack thereof.

If we are not challenging for top 4 early doors next season the knives will be out for him. He needs a good start.

You're worried about the fact that we haven't made any signings while the transfer window is closed?

Just now, Corky said:

This season I was. 14 points clear in January, 8 when we came back in June- yes I certainly did.

So at the start of the season you expected top 4???? First 11 on form

we are amazing, a few injurys or players off form we are mid table as we haven’t got the quality in the squad. I am disappointed we didn’t get 4th, but would have accepted 7th and closed the 20 point gap from last season. Also covid has changed football massively, no fans =
no pressure for teams like Man Utd   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cecchini1976 said:

we are amazing, a few injurys or players off form we are mid table as we haven’t got the quality in the squad. I am disappointed we didn’t get 4th, but would have accepted 7th and closed the 20 point gap from last season. Also covid has changed football massively, no fans =

I didn't at the start, I did throughout the season.

Why is it so strange to think a team with a huge cushion should be able to hold on to it? Do we have to stick rigidly to the view we had from the beginning?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kingfox said:

It’s all about mentality mate, these players were mentality weak under Puel, now they’re mentality weak under Rodgers. It all stems though from mentally weak management.

What he just said after the game today, we don’t have the resources to compete with teams like United, it’s an overly negative way to look at things, that’s probably why his record in big games is so poor.

He lacks belief in this team, saying top six was the aim is all well and good, yet the fact of the matter is, he has contributed into a reckless downfall that has seen us bottle a 14 point lead and Champions League football.

Tbh i've stopped listening to his interviews for these reasons. I stopped/never listened to Puel and it's the same with Rodgers, I just see bits and bobs of what they both had to say on here.

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

That's the mark of a manager that knows his team is struggling and is desperately trying anything and everything to stop the slide. To be fair at times the 3412 did pick us up points to give us a chance to recover, but we quickly fell off the pace again. I think Rodgers suffered in the same way the players did, he lost confidence and started changing it over and over.

He'll certainly be under pressure at the start of next season though and it could easily be another Liverpool situation where it all goes wrong. But I think we need some perspective here, even if we got into the Champions League, were we going to win it? In the last 3 seasons we've finished 12th, 9th and 9th. This season we finished 5th - that's a big jump.

It's tempting to be knee-jerk and listen I am as upset as anyone else, but this is a long-term project we are talking about and in the first half of the season we played great stuff, with average players. Get Brendan 2-3 players working with the recruitment team and give him a chance, he's more than deserved it IMO. Let's compare the front lines of the top 5 shall we:

Liverpool: Salah / Mane / Firminho. Shaqiri and Origi as options.

Man City: Sterling, Aguero, Mahrez. Jesus from the bench.

Chelsea: Abraham / Giroud, Willian, Pulisic. Pedro, Hudson-Odoi from the bench.

Man U: Martial, Rashford, Greenwood. Igalho off the bench.

Leicester: Vardy, Barnes, Perez. Gray and Albrighton off the bench.

One of these teams is not like the others...

Spot on as always Strider

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

No, you're wrong. He was tactically spot on today and has been before many other times in the season. Room for tactical improvement yes, but to say he has zero house in exaggeration in the extreme.

He was spot on??? We needed to win and we played 2 cdms. He also took our striker off who was having a good game. At no point today when we were losing did we “have a go”.  Not sure what you have seen today to think he’s “spot on”.

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

That's the mark of a manager that knows his team is struggling and is desperately trying anything and everything to stop the slide. To be fair at times the 3412 did pick us up points to give us a chance to recover, but we quickly fell off the pace again. I think Rodgers suffered in the same way the players did, he lost confidence and started changing it over and over.

He'll certainly be under pressure at the start of next season though and it could easily be another Liverpool situation where it all goes wrong. But I think we need some perspective here, even if we got into the Champions League, were we going to win it? In the last 3 seasons we've finished 12th, 9th and 9th. This season we finished 5th - that's a big jump.

It's tempting to be knee-jerk and listen I am as upset as anyone else, but this is a long-term project we are talking about and in the first half of the season we played great stuff, with average players. Get Brendan 2-3 players working with the recruitment team and give him a chance, he's more than deserved it IMO. Let's compare the front lines of the top 5 shall we:

Thats fair. I just wish he wouldn't chop and change so much especially before a game.

We probably need 2 wingers and a striker but it's pretty unlikely we will sign 3 attackers in one window. 

3 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

At last! Someone talking sense 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, matty98 said:

He's just so negative, has absolutely no belief in our players and it rubs off on them massively. Needs to get his act together and realise we were where we were for a reason.

This. His comments about United needing CL football and them being a bigger club annoyed me too, it's so bloody negative all the time.

Every big game we bottle, Celtic fans said the same about European games.

EDIT: Should in no way be sacked though for Gods sake, give him the summer and let him sign 4 or 5 players. We go again next season, hopefully he learns from his mistakes.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

1 minute ago, Cecchini1976 said:

I wish people wouldn’t harp on about being happy being 5th.

The truth is we have blown a great chance by losing to teams like Norwich, Bournemouth, Southampton and Burnley

Dropped 4 points in games Brighton and Watford.

They was our bread and butter games and we picked up a measly 2 out of 18 points 

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

This. His comments about United needing CL football and them being a bigger club annoyed me too, it's so bloody negative all the time.

Every big game we bottle, Celtic fans said the same about European games.

Yup, I'm not even too distraught about losing champs league but Rodgers seemed like he was ready to accept it before kick-off. Like he had no backbone.