Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Brendan Rodgers

1 minute ago, Chrysalis said:

Ironically the christmas point would mark roughly 2 seasons worth of football, and thats where a few of us are predicting he either stays or goes.

Two full seasons that is. Although this season had a break in it, I’m still counting it as a full season. 

11 minutes ago, Webbo said:

So perhaps we shouldn't be surprised when Man U finish above us?

We should be when they were 14 points behind halfway through the season.  Usually when a team gets that kind of gap its considered an impossible task, once liverpool had that gap over man city e.g. people considered the title race over.  If we even only maintained basic mid table form since that point we would be in the CL now, and comfortably, it has taken some very bad form for that gap to be closed.

I dont know if you acting awkward or if you genuinely just dont get it.

So my question to you, its a very simple question, dont try to evade it please, do you consider a 1 ppg average over 20+ games acceptable performance for our manager?

Edited by Chrysalis

9 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

People are kidding themselves thinking that when maddison, ricardo and soyuncu come back this team is magically going to fix itself. There is a deep rooted problem in this squad and instead of hiding behind injuries and our status as a club, rodgers needs to change his approach and actually fix this team's mental weakness otherwise he will be out of a job by december.

Yep this has been too evident for seven months now.

It can be solved though, probably through some astute signings. I personally think we need a big character who is a leader in the team. Kasper is a leader but made high profile errors recently. Evans has lost his way a bit in recent games too. Vardy is a legend, but a leader can't be a striker, it's got to be someone in the thick of things. Someone to do what Cambiasso did for us in 14/15.

Rodgers Rodgers he’s taking us to Europe Europe, you know the rest of the song.

Brendan Rodgers blue white army.

The man is great, start of the season he had us fighting for top spot, playing great football, if  he gets rid of most of the squad, and players that let him down regularly, brings his own players in, I’m excited where he will take us, good manager, no need to change

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

So perhaps we shouldn't be surprised when Man U finish above us?

Rodgers inherited a more complete squad than ole. Yes ole spent 50 mil on a right back, 50 mil on a cam and 80 mil on a centre back but rodgers already had quality players in all of those positions. Only position you could make a case for is left wing as rashford is further in his development than barnes but barnes has done alright considering. We both have a hole at rw but rodgers doesnt really have an excuse for that as he bought perez for 30 mil who is not a right winger, of course from now on Ole has the upper hand due to funds but this season rodgers cant complain about ole outperforming when us and man united have had similar squads and similar injury problems.

12 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

I think it’s only fair to judge a manager over two full seasons. Gives him a season to try things then try and rectify any shortcomings. I do think some of the things he says in the media to downplay the club, to cover his own arse, to be baffling. If Puel was saying those sorts of things he’d be slaughtered. 

Yeah but to be fair if he said that the club have to get CL and give the players the extra pressure that also wouldn't have gone down well

1 minute ago, Chrysalis said:

We should be when they were 14 points behind halfway through the season.

I dont know if you acting awkward or if you genuinely just dont get it.

I do get it, I'm just being a grown up.

2 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Rodgers inherited a more complete squad than ole. Yes ole spent 50 mil on a right back, 50 mil on a cam and 80 mil on a centre back but rodgers already had quality players in all of those positions. Only position you could make a case for is left wing as rashford is further in his development than barnes but barnes has done alright considering. We both have a hole at rw but rodgers doesnt really have an excuse for that as he bought perez for 30 mil who is not a right winger, of course from now on Ole has the upper hand due to funds but this season rodgers cant complain about ole outperforming when us and man united have had similar squads and similar injury problems.

Really?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Sh1t happens .........  wanting the manager moved on after a season and a third with close to a fifty percent win record ???.  The team are badly in need of mental strength ...... you hope they learn a lot from this experience .....and that the club support the manager by investing in quality squad depth ......

Sh1t happens i'm afraid isn't a good enough excuse, this isn't a blip this is a full half of a season we're talking about here. You can make injury excuses, but he's had that full 11 for vast majority of this year and has fallen short. If we're paying him like a top level manager then he has to perform like one, it's quite simple. What has Rodgers shown you that he is capable of turning this around because i'm scratching my head on that one, the money he has spent aside from Justin haven't been could coups so the recruitment doesnt seem to be as strong and he seems genuinely clueless in the matches so what is it? just the purple patch of the first half?

6 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

It hasn't 'failed' - it's fallen short. Only once in my lifetime have we done better. Be angry by all means, but don't try to tell me that because I've come to terms with what's gone on and have some sense of proportion over what to get truly angry about in life that I am somehow less of a fan than you. I'm no more of a fan than you, but you are certainly no more of a fan than me just because you're throwing a strop.

Bottling a 14 point lead is a failure I'm sorry, expectations are weighted with performance if we're leading our rivals by 14 points then it is expected you finish above them. I didn't try to tell you that I'm more of a fan than you at all, I can accept you're a more level headed fan i just find the question of "why are you so angry" so ****ing stupid and condescending when it's perfectly obvious why I'm angry with how this has gone. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

I think it’s only fair to judge a manager over two full seasons. Gives him a season to try things then try and rectify any shortcomings. I do think some of the things he says in the media to downplay the club, to cover his own arse, to be baffling. If Puel was saying those sorts of things he’d be slaughtered. 

Yeah, but he'd be saying him in a French accent and that makes all the difference.

Brendan has a lot to answer for.. From the exciting attacking football to the dross we have seen since January he has made massive mistakes and cost us Champions league. 

5 wins in 22 is abysmal for our club. There is a reason his sides bottle it when it matters. We won 1 game against anyone in the top 7 all season and had poor results against the bottom 3. He never changes his style of play against anyone and this is where he fails. 

When frustration sinks in mistakes happen and our team lost their heads the past 3 weeks. Soyuncu and Evans red cards, Schmeichel mistakes in a couple of games. If this was Puel we would all ( a majority arguably) would be asking for him to be sacked. 

We are very loyal supporters which is why this hurts so much. Champions league places and the chance to enter this competition happens a handful of times in our lifetime, if we are lucky. We don't have the budget of other clubs. To lose our lead is shocking.. 

We have more matches, a lot of travel around European cities between league games and we have a very small squad. Rodgers and Congerton have done poorly in the transfer market as well.  Which does not put us in a great position for reaching our teams potential for next season. 

Very well done to Vardy - Top scorer in the league is an incredible achievement. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

No inconsistent is kind of like win lose win lose or having mini periods of bad and good form, with us we had an outstanding start to the season, and then a utter nightmare of a run that lasted for half a season, circa 20 games. That is not inconsistent. We became consistently bad.  The virus enforced break, gave him a chance to breathe, have a mini off season, and we came back even worse.

We didnt even need that good of a run to make it, beat watford, bournemouth, keep rest of results the same and we in the CL.

Last 15 games (all comps) D,L,L,W,W,D,D,L,L,W,D,L,W,L,L  looks pretty inconsistent to me 

• Like 1

Just now, The Horse's Mouth said:

I didn't try to tell you that I'm more of a fan than you at all, I can accept you're a more level headed fan i just find the question of "why are you so angry" so ****ing stupid and condescending when it's perfectly obvious why I'm angry with how this has gone. 

Fine. Then stop complaining when others on the forum don't share your exact state in dealing with today and the season. For me, your anger is disproportionate, but what do I know?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Yeah that squad you talk about that Rodgers took over, it finished 9th last season. This season it’s ten points better off and in 5th.

Man United points tally wise have made zero improvement net spending £130 million in the process

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Two full seasons that is. Although this season had a break in it, I’m still counting it as a full season. 

So 2 and a half seasons given he joined mid season.

The problem is now days that's considered an eternity in the game, it may not be a direction some people like, but it is what it is.

I think owners will tolerate small deviations from performance targets, but when they lose confidence in a manager to turn it around, and the performance target is miles away, the axe gets wielded.  That is probably ultimately why Claudio was fired, as we were no where near the top end of the table.  We see this time and time again in football.

The problem I have is I look at the momentum, and e.g. if we use Pearson as an example, we spent most of his EPL season in the relegation zone, but then we ended the season on crazy good form, and survived, because the momentum was on a upward projectile, I was super happy and expected and backed him to stay at the club, also was thinking positive about the following season.  But if you flipped it around, and he started on fire, but then had a bad run at the end of the season, and still finished in the same place, I probably would have wanted Pearson gone, its all about the momentum, the direction the club is going.  Ultimately progress is want to be seen at the club, are we moving in the right direction, and its hard to say yes when you have close to relegation form for the past half a season.

Also a way owners look at it is the cost of changing personnel, if you get to the point where its realised the combination of manager and players is not working, you either change the players, or you change the manager, the latter is almost certainly cheaper even if the manager is on a bumper contract.

With all this said though, I imagine there will be a meeting post season, where Rodgers get asked the question, where did it go wrong, and how do we fix it, if his answer is one with high confidence, and the owner agrees with it then he gets backed and he gets more time.  So yes I hope Rodgers knows the answer, and I hope the board back him to make the changes he feels are needed.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1

Those suggesting that our form was unacceptable even before the injuries and the COVID break, were you expecting us to just keep winning all our games and win the league or something?

If there had been a crowd today some Wingnuts would have been booing and chanting "Rodgers Out", if this thread is anything to go by

Unreal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Fine. Then stop complaining when others on the forum don't share your exact state in dealing with today and the season. For me, your anger is disproportionate, but what do I know?

yeah you're right now i think about it, I should be happy we completely bottled the season and finished 5th instead. You're spot on mate, I do apologise and let's get it right you quoted me in this chain, i've only backed up my facts and opinions

Edited by The Horse's Mouth
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Unique FC said:

Brendan has a lot to answer for.. From the exciting attacking football to the dross we have seen since January he has made massive mistakes and cost us Champions league. 

5 wins in 22 is abysmal for our club. There is a reason his sides bottle it when it matters. We won 1 game against anyone in the top 7 all season and had poor results against the bottom 3. He never changes his style of play against anyone and this is where he fails. 

When frustration sinks in mistakes happen and our team lost their heads the past 3 weeks. Soyuncu and Evans red cards, Schmeichel mistakes in a couple of games. If this was Puel we would all ( a majority arguably) would be asking for him to be sacked. 

We are very loyal supporters which is why this hurts so much. Champions league places and the chance to enter this competition happens a handful of times in our lifetime, if we are lucky. We don't have the budget of other clubs. To lose our lead is shocking.. 

We have more matches, a lot of travel around European cities between league games and we have a very small squad. Rodgers and Congerton have done poorly in the transfer market as well.  Which does not put us in a great position for reaching our teams potential for next season. 

Very well done to Vardy - Top scorer in the league is an incredible achievement. 

"When frustration sinks in mistakes happen and our team lost their heads the past 3 weeks. Soyuncu and Evans red cards, Schmeichel mistakes in a couple of games. If this was Puel we would all ( a majority arguably) would be asking for him to be sacked."

Not sure where any of this becomes the managers fault??

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Never thought I’d see the day I thought our supporters were ‘entitled’

things have gone on behind the scenes - I doubt we’ll ever be told all the detail - the result mainly that some players were being asked to perform whilst they were not 100% ....... sometimes you get away with that but in some cases,it merely delayed the inevitable- we didn’t play badly today. The only games since Xmas where I’ve thought we were really poor were Norwich, wolves, soton and Brighton.  The last half hour at Bournemouth can be added to that list.   We haven’t had the return we might have hoped for from the other games. Just as we probably got a better return than we deserved pre Xmas.  We’ve badly missed madders linking midfield and attack plus Ricky and Ben stretching the width of the pitch and dragging us up it. 

it’s not FIFA or football manger ...... rodgers needs the support of the board to get some quality depth to the squad and we go again in seven weeks to qualify for Europe again ......

I don't think we should feel entitled to 5th place, but our form was dreadful with Ricky, Ben and Madders in the side too.

I posted when we lost to Southampton that a lot would depend on how things panned out from that point onward. We got 17 points from 17 games - almost half a season - and based on those ppg we'd have finished in 17th over a whole season. Within this stretch of time, we averaged exactly the same ppg before the coronavirus break as after (with all our injury problems). If that continues after our next, shorter, break - when the only other intervention will be Congerton's business in the market - then he will be gone before long, irrespective of our 5th place finish. And we might find ourselves in quite a fix when it happens.

17 points in 17 games represents a shocking turn of events for a club that might expect 1.4-1.6 ppg during the same period. Very, very few managers of top half clubs manage to turn around a drop-off like that. Rodgers deserves his chance, without question, but needs to revise his techniques urgently.

• Like 1