Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Brendan Rodgers

I wasn't aware so many on this forum personally knew Brendan Rodgers or sat in on training and one to one conversation with players. Ndidi gets injured early January, we go on a losing streak, he comes back (probably too early, though BR said he tested okay but I'm not convinced) we win, then he's out again. It's no surprise that with Ndidi in and out of the team we don't compete as well as we did when he was a constant start (ie the first half of the season). Remember how exposed our defense was once Kante left. A team that needs confidence in passing, in taking risks, of playing freely is bound to be unbalanced once they know that. It adds pressure (on a young team) how they pass, where they pass and their movement, if they worry that a mistake opens an exposed defense to being attacked.

We have a team that simply doesn't contribute enough goals. So while Vardy goes on another insane goalscoring streak no problem. But not even Vardy was going to replicate his first half season for the second. People moan about Kelechi being subbed today, he's scored 5 goals this season. FIVE. Perez has scored 8. Grey 2. Tielermans 3. To even try and compete with the top 4 we have to have a second striker (or midfielder like we had with Mahrez) who scores double digits in a season.Hopefully Barnes and Maddison will be those players.  And this goes for our central defense also not chipping in. They HAVE to do better than TWO goals ALL season. Brendan Rodgers will take flack for dropping all those points, and that's fair because that's kind of his job. But it doesn't happen in a vacuum. 

Edited by Hoopla10

43 minutes ago, dayday said:

I really don’t understand your post

We was miles clear, top 4 was a certainty and we blew it.

My post is about that I’m disappointed at not finishing 4th, but I was realistic enough to know that any players off form it injured would mess us up, and that I am used to seeing a team batting in the championship, so happy to finish 5th and be IN Europe for only the second tome

based on league finish 

5 minutes ago, bfox said:

I'm always questioning why the ball manages to find its way to his feet and not youri's at the boxes edge. His passing range has come on a long way this season, I think Rodgers has done some good there but his shooting sure as shit hasn't

Has anyone's shooting? 

Edited by hejammy
  • Haha 1

@StanSP

I understand why you’re saying this is a significant transfer window to get right (much is every window really), but I get the sense this is not going to be the usual window and so maybe expectations need to be tempered. 

It’s certainly not going to be easy to get business done early like we’d ideally want to do.

And overall, I reckon next season will be all round. A lot of players won’t be getting a proper break and pre-season will be quite disjointed at some clubs.

Just now, DJ Barry Hammond said:

@StanSP

I understand why you’re saying this is a significant transfer window to get right (much is every window really), but I get the sense this is not going to be the usual window and so maybe expectations need to be tempered. 

It’s certainly not going to be easy to get business done early like we’d ideally want to do.

And overall, I reckon next season will be all round. A lot of players won’t be getting a proper break and pre-season will be quite disjointed at some clubs.

True.

First and foremost is making sure the players who are due to return from injury are 100% to do so and not drafted in because we don't have anyone else of decent quality.

It's going to be an odd window but we desperately need some quality in the final third. Even if it's to bolster our options instead of replacements. A lot of players are going to see some minutes next season and they need to be reliable and trusted to perform. Right now you don't get that with some players. Not consistently, at least.

Significant overachieving in the first half of the season - pretty significant underachieving in the second. 

Result,  Disappointed fans - but let's face it - we'd have been out-gunned in the Champions League pot we'd have ended up in anyway and in the grand scheme of things it's been a pretty good season. 

Ask a Watford, Wolves or -ahem - a Forest fan...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, StanSP said:

True.

First and foremost is making sure the players who are due to return from injury are 100% to do so and not drafted in because we don't have anyone else of decent quality.

It's going to be an odd window but we desperately need some quality in the final third. Even if it's to bolster our options instead of replacements. A lot of players are going to see some minutes next season and they need to be reliable and trusted to perform. Right now you don't get that with some players. Not consistently, at least.

I think to an extent, we had such a precise pattern of play with our first choice 11 earlier in the season, it’s made it difficult to replicate that when you’re exchanging players due to injury.

Riccardo is the classic case in point - it’s just unfair to expect Justin to come in and replicate the multi-dimensionale threat he delivers from his right back birth.

But once you lose an exceptional player like that and the space he creates for other players also disappears suddenly you will look a little toothless.

We’ve just been extra unfortunate to lose 3 such playmakers at once (Maddison and Chilwell being the other two).

Mean if I was to judge today’s game from us offensively - I’d say we had no real idea of how we wanted to attack. There wasn’t a game plan of “exploit this area of United’s defence” that we went to repeatedly, we simply looked to play what we could see at any given moment. 

But then again - given the formation and personnel we had out there, it’s kind of understandable, you can’t develop and ingrain pattern of play in the space of a week.

Edited by DJ Barry Hammond

22 minutes ago, bfox said:

I'm always questioning why the ball manages to find its way to his feet and not youri's at the boxes edge. His passing range has come on a long way this season, I think Rodgers has done some good there but his shooting sure as shit hasn't

There was a time you could stake your mortgage that his passing wouldn’t improve, so there’s still hope... lol

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jacnah said:

I think this is why he annoys me more than anything else - its like hes swallowed a 'how to be a consultant' book

He's merely the David Brent of football except that was a comedy and we could wince and laugh. Unfortunately, he's modelled himself on him and people are taking it seriously, supporting him and actually paying him money!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Significant overachieving in the first half of the season - pretty significant underachieving in the second. 

Result,  Disappointed fans - but let's face it - we'd have been out-gunned in the Champions League pot we'd have ended up in anyway and in the grand scheme of things it's been a pretty good season. 

Ask a Watford, Wolves or -ahem - a Forest fan...

We'll do next to nothing in the Europa League either.

Struggling against Watford, Brighton, Bouremouth, etc. And then to face some decent teams in Europe with our manager who isn't any way proactive when it's put up to us.

Just 6 more uninspiring games without any progression. Brace yourselves.

8 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

We'll do next to nothing in the Europa League either.

Struggling against Watford, Brighton, Bouremouth, etc. And then to face some decent teams in Europe with our manager who isn't any way proactive when it's put up to us.

Just 6 more uninspiring games without any progression. Brace yourselves.

What an absolute misery of a post this is :( 

Struggle against those teams but then we've beaten similar teams like Villa, Palace and Sheff Utd, all without conceding (bar Villa). 

:dunno:

36 minutes ago, hejammy said:

Has anyone's shooting? 

..too often we see balls flying over the bar!!!

This is basic stuff. Back in the day Liverpool's Emlyn Hughes was extolling the virtues of the practise everyone went through, taking shooting practice in a booth.

Hughes was noted for his shooting from outside the box, a feat which saw him hitting the net with the ball hardly getting off the floor. It is a skill which can be coached but it seems we are doing something else as the same thing happens over and over again.

Might be a good idea to impose a fine every time a.player blazes one over the bar again.

1 hour ago, frany104 said:

He was spot on??? We needed to win and we played 2 cdms. He also took our striker off who was having a good game. At no point today when we were losing did we “have a go”.  Not sure what you have seen today to think he’s “spot on”.

So, what would you have said if he'd gone all out attack and we conceded twice on the break in the first 10 mins?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

That's the mark of a manager that knows his team is struggling and is desperately trying anything and everything to stop the slide. To be fair at times the 3412 did pick us up points to give us a chance to recover, but we quickly fell off the pace again. I think Rodgers suffered in the same way the players did, he lost confidence and started changing it over and over.

He'll certainly be under pressure at the start of next season though and it could easily be another Liverpool situation where it all goes wrong. But I think we need some perspective here, even if we got into the Champions League, were we going to win it? In the last 3 seasons we've finished 12th, 9th and 9th. This season we finished 5th - that's a big jump.

It's tempting to be knee-jerk and listen I am as upset as anyone else, but this is a long-term project we are talking about and in the first half of the season we played great stuff, with average players. Get Brendan 2-3 players working with the recruitment team and give him a chance, he's more than deserved it IMO. Let's compare the front lines of the top 5 shall we:

Liverpool: Salah / Mane / Firminho. Shaqiri and Origi as options.

Man City: Sterling, Aguero, Mahrez. Jesus from the bench.

Chelsea: Abraham / Giroud, Willian, Pulisic. Pedro, Hudson-Odoi from the bench.

Man U: Martial, Rashford, Greenwood. Igalho off the bench.

Leicester: Vardy, Barnes, Perez. Gray and Albrighton off the bench.

One of these teams is not like the others...

Great post...

Its this Quality difference is what I have been shouting about....once a Team like ours go deeper into the season,that crest of the wave one rides has to be supported with quality cover...for motivation, competition, rotation, Tactical change, bloodymindnessness...I laughed then and I laugh now , how this forum

Belittled the big clubs new young managers, Plus the 2 North London Teams with an old crony & new kid in the block...!!!

These Teams have an higher Level quality Platform of Finding & having Quality in depth,that even their own media are unaware of....

If was so easy to make fun of their struggles and them bunk up our own chances over  a few Good  games,

and some small but decisive quality investments.

Yes our aspirations and improvements, is for me fantastic but that Chasm is still a massive gap to Jump

with having those same struggles on our present immediate finances....

Yes we can find 4-6, better Quality high class players ,but our Player turn around and Cover at present is far from,what those Top clubs

Have at hand....We cant cover 2-5 Top Player injuries....Nobody can really, but the Cover those Top clubs have,

keeps the Team turning over at an higher level,even when their Form Dips or are rebuilding....

We have a Top Bline,but little experienced cover. Maddison,Praet Tielemans,Ndidi...we have no replacements

that can bring the same quality consistently..

Vardy is unique...no comparison, but our frontline,even with Vardy, on all Quarters ,is far from adequate, 

when competing consistently for those Top 5-1 positions.

We have just started out.....our Target is Not 1-2 Glorious seasons,but when creating an Ethos &  era,

there will be Trouble und they will hurt,but swinging out...

Expecting Everything to be sorted just  after a few Good & better buys Leaves me dumbfounded...

Building and Holding that high mental strength & discipline Platform through a Team & squad needs time & mixed experiences...

At the same Time I can also understand some of the critic & frustration, we could have & should have still held a minimal gap to Chelsea & Manutd,that this last 2 weeks should of Not been in their hands...!!! Norwich,Watford,Bournemouth Brighton Shouldnt have happened....I

The fact they did, doesn't mean I want to crucify anybody...Developing, creating a new platform,while also ditching some ex baggage does Take Time and a bit more understanding alot more than many on this forum have a tendency to want to give.....

Plus ffs , cut out These other ex-clubs comparisons...Like you cynical Dozos,everybody has the right to Slip up & learn...

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Who do you think is better who would realistically come here? Genuine question.

Chris Wilder would be the perfect fit for us. OK people will say he's in his dream job but plenty of managers leave similar roles when the offer is too good to refuse. I think he'd see us a great opportunity 

All pointless anyway as the finances to get rid of Rodgers is extortionate 

Edited by foxfanazer

9 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

So, what would you have said if he'd gone all out attack and we conceded twice on the break in the first 10 mins?

I would sooner lose trying to win the game knowing we HAVE to win to get CL. We didn’t even attempt to win today. He was happy playing for a draw and hoping Chelsea lose. 

if we would have setup to attack we would have beat utd. They were poor and fatigued. a bit of intent and aggression and there defence would have crumbled.