Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Luke Thomas

It was certainly a great debut. Obviously it’s one game and it’s too early to make judgements either way but very promising. As others have said his final ball was excellent and he seemed very composed. He also made a couple of great tackles and didn’t seem to be caught out of position that I could see. If we went into next season with Ricardo, Chilwell, JJ and Thomas is feel confident with any of those 4 starting. X 

• Like 3

Guest An Sionnach
3 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Great to see a young academy lad get his chance and take it so well. With the money involved in football these days clubs are reluctant to risk youngsters maybe it’s time to blood a couple more.

We have to remember these players , as young as they are , are pros they will be technically sound .They have played a lot of football. Luke had the benefit of Jonny behind him which would have given him confidence. That is a principal benefit of a back three and we should stick with it. It gives Ben and Ricci more freedom to do what they do best .

5 hours ago, dayday said:

For all you guys and lasses that follow the reserves, was he a player that stood out?

Yeah he looked a solid player. But that was clear from his England experience. He was ready to leave the u23s after a year, I thought. I'm surprised he managed the change of level so well tbh.

So it's not all bad keeping some promising young players in our U23s instead of sending them out on loan to a league 2 side.

Or is it that Beaglehole just hasn't had enough time to ruin him? :ph34r:

• Haha 1

After seeing Gordon run rings around us and go on to be arguably Everton's best performer since the restart, I was wondering if Brendan would dip into our own youth for the closing games.

Can't lie, was expecting a good half dozen academy players - Hirst, Dewsbury-Hall and Ndukwu for starters - to get a look-in before him, but delighted that our lack of options at fullback has given him the chance. Quality on the ball, great cutback for Perez and a few solid tackles. Well done to the lad, hope to see plenty more of him.

I'm still not sure how he hasn't played this season. Unbelievable debut, once he fully grows into a man and continues to get more experience at this level he's gonna be a hell of a player. 

He sees stuff that Chillwell doesn't, he's got bags of composure and footballing intelligence. He won most of his challenges. Rarely lost the ball, more importantly he didn't hold onto the ball for too long. He made a quick pass and kept the ball moving quickly.

For me he's already ahead of Fuchs and if he does maintain and improve it won't be long before he's ahead of Chilly. That's no disrespect to Chillwell, but this lad looks the real deal.

Can't wait to be quoted in 5 years when he's turning out for Kings Lynn in the Conference South after it turns out this was the best performance he will ever put in for us haha.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, brucey said:

So it's not all bad keeping some promising young players in our U23s instead of sending them out on loan to a league 2 side.

Luckily Luke was deemed good enough to get a chance in the U23’s, the issue with Beaglehole is he prioritises winning over development, which is why people have been moaning about our pathway from Academy to First Team. For years our U23’s has been clogged up with players who were never going to make the First Team and it was stagnating the development of younger players with real promise. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, brucey said:

Apparently Spurs don’t like the loan system and place players directly in the first team. I think this is the first time we’ve ever started a u23 before any loan, albeit due to injuries. (iirc we subbed on josh knight last season)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, brucey said:

The big difference is when they have been kept in the U23's aged 19-21 and haven't had any senior football during a crucial time. Luke Thomas is the only U18 from last season promoted and featured regularly this season, but then again he is now 19 and couldn't play for the 18's any longer. 

Hopefully a few more will follow suit next year.

• Like 1

He just happened to have been interviewed for the most recent LCFCQ released last month. Dug out my copy, here's the first half of the interview. 

"he has set his sights on one day making a first team bow" :blush: How much things can change in a couple weeks! Pack your bags Luke lad, you're coming with us to Europe next seasonlol

IMG_20200717_185539.jpg

Screenshot_20200717_190852_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Edited by brucey
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

The reason I am really hoping Luke can fulfil his potential and be a top player is because he is proper Leicester. He’s a Leicester fan from a Leicester City family. 

Darnell Johnson as well.

is he related to the City councillor of the same name who was also president of the railmens club?

Must be his Grandson if so, too much age difference.

I remember 5 or 6 years ago in the club hearing of a promising young footballer.

Edited by nnickn

12 hours ago, filbertway said:

I'm still not sure how he hasn't played this season. Unbelievable debut, once he fully grows into a man and continues to get more experience at this level he's gonna be a hell of a player. 

He sees stuff that Chillwell doesn't, he's got bags of composure and footballing intelligence. He won most of his challenges. Rarely lost the ball, more importantly he didn't hold onto the ball for too long. He made a quick pass and kept the ball moving quickly.

For me he's already ahead of Fuchs and if he does maintain and improve it won't be long before he's ahead of Chilly. That's no disrespect to Chillwell, but this lad looks the real deal.

Can't wait to be quoted in 5 years when he's turning out for Kings Lynn in the Conference South after it turns out this was the best performance he will ever put in for us haha.

Agree except I rate Fuchs ahead of Chilly and Thomas may soon be ahead of Chilly too and with Fuchs aging may be fast getting ahead of Fuchs.

What he seemed to have is the ability to see what is happening around him and make that correct decision a second faster than others: this is what potentially separates an average PL player from a great one. Of course we still need to see more of him to tell and there is a long way to go with his development.  This is what Barnes and the likes of Tielemans also have (as Tielemans shown again last game). Oh and yes, Vardy - what a legend.  But we spoke on FT before, this is what for example Gray lacks although he is getting towards the top end of his range thankfully, and sadly what Chilly also lacks. Chilly can run and dribble, but he always wait too long to look for a pass and which is why with his limited range of passing he goes for the backpasses much of the time and blames others for not being in position (sadly here Chilly is more of a textbook guy just following routines and training pitch plays instead of being more reactive to the situation on the pitch, so he would not have seen the pass to Perez that Thomas saw and Chilly would have just instead whip in his standard cross across goal regardless of the actual situation which is why it is often aimless or too much behind or in front of the line, but on occasions of course someone will get to it but more out of luck than real aim). Fuchs has that bit more which is why I rate Fuchs higher. But Thomas is really promising.

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, filbertway said:

Even if this is the best performance he'll ever put in for us, this was still a win from the academy. 3 vital points, in large part thanks to him. If we get CL football because of this, it's fantastic.

Edited by Nicolo Barella
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Apparently Spurs don’t like the loan system and place players directly in the first team. I think this is the first time we’ve ever started a u23 before any loan, albeit due to injuries. (iirc we subbed on josh knight last season)

1. Spurs actually do play U23 youth in the first team semi-regularly, e.g. Walker-Peters, Skipp, Tanganga and others.

2. Spurs fans are upset about it, and it's something Pochettino introduced that they weren't fans of and have said it's stifled the development of a lot of players.

4 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Never been out on loan?

Wow.. have we ever played anyone from the academy that has not actually played in the big boy league before ? Perhaps we have but i dont recall... ( my memory is so like a floppy disk nowdays).

Claudio gave debuts to Joe Dodoo and Harvey Barnes before they went out on loan - I'm not sure about academy players pre-PL, apart from King maybe, whose legacy shall never be forgotten.

• Like 1