Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

20 hours ago, trabuch said:

I wonder what his wages are?

Gareth Bale set for Tottenham loan move: Real Madrid forward to fly in on Friday

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54192248

400k a week spurs to pay 250k 

They are also paying a 20mill loan fee. (which is basically the cost of his wages to Madrid.) 

Its madness for someone that on his day is world class but when was the last time he played 40+ games in a season? He needs to be playing 40 games min for it to be worth it for spurs surely. 

Also didn't spurs ask to borrow 150+ mill off the government at the start of the pandemic?? Conveniently been brushed to one side because they are 'saving Bale' 

Edited by goose2010
  • Like 1

On 17/09/2020 at 08:54, Finnegan said:

Not a chance in hell. 

I'm probably one of the biggest Bale fans on the forum, for obvious reasons, but he's such a long way from his best right now it could take all year to get him back up to speed. At his age, with his injury record, with Mourinho as a manager, with the general cloud over Tottenham? Can't see it. 

He'll be extremely underwhelming and they'll be mid table fodder again. As much as I hate Dele Alli, he's not crap and when he and Kane play well, Tottenham are at their best. If they're sacking him off to fund Bale it's a really odd move. 

At his best Bale's been the best out and out winger in the world of the last decade. Enormously under appreciated at Real, he's a force of nature. I watched him play twice recently and he looked like a cut rate Robson Kanu, it was sad to see. 

He needs a lot of time to catch up. 

This sums up my thoughts on it precisely. Spurs just seems to running round like headless chickens at the moment without a clear strategy for how they are going to rebuild their squad.  

The amount he’s going to cost Spurs, he needs to be the difference between them qualifying for the CL or not.

Its a huge gamble, I just can’t see him being good enough. 
I am sure we will see flashes of brilliance, but can he get 20 goals + double figure assists? That is what I’d want for the price and what Spurs are going to need to compete with the big 4.

I just can’t see it at 31 and having played just 16 games in the last year. 

7 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

The amount he’s going to cost Spurs, he needs to be the difference between them qualifying for the CL or not.

Its a huge gamble, I just can’t see him being good enough. 
I am sure we will see flashes of brilliance, but can he get 20 goals + double figure assists? That is what I’d want for the price and what Spurs are going to need to compete with the big 4.

I just can’t see it at 31 and having played just 16 games in the last year. 

Plus its a lot of money on one player when they have a really limited squad at the moment. I am guessing the Spurs fans are happy though, and I can understand their excitement at having him back. 

• Like 3

Guest Markyblue
3 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Plus its a lot of money on one player when they have a really limited squad at the moment. I am guessing the Spurs fans are happy though, and I can understand their excitement at having him back. 

Only time will tell if its a master stroke or a massive cock up, hopefully the latter.

1 hour ago, shailen said:

What are the odds of JM alienating Gareth Bale and falling out with him. He'll see this as a step down and won't likely put the hard work in. Can't wait for part 2 of the spurs documentary. 

Can't think why James Maddison would do such a thing...he's everybody's friend.

• Haha 1

On the spurs forum, they are split almost 50/50 on whether it’s a good move or not.

Personally I can’t understand why having Gareth Bale would be a bad thing. They will be paying him the same as Ndombele......

Up till a couple of years ago he was considered one of the best players in the world. People understate what he did for Madrid. He is proven on every stage.

For those questioning his hunger, he is under no obligation to come and play for spurs for a year. If he was (as widely reported) content playing golf and getting paid to sit out the games In Madrid, then why would he bother?

Especially as he doesn’t have anything to prove in the PL, we know how well he did prior to the Madrid move.

11 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

On the spurs forum, they are split almost 50/50 on whether it’s a good move or not.

Personally I can’t understand why having Gareth Bale would be a bad thing. They will be paying him the same as Ndombele......

Up till a couple of years ago he was considered one of the best players in the world. People understate what he did for Madrid. He is proven on every stage.

For those questioning his hunger, he is under no obligation to come and play for spurs for a year. If he was (as widely reported) content playing golf and getting paid to sit out the games In Madrid, then why would he bother?

Especially as he doesn’t have anything to prove in the PL, we know how well he did prior to the Madrid move.

I think for this season at least it will most likely work, but for me it's more in the context of thinking about their overall squad and where they are going as a team. This is just a sticky plaster for now. 

31 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

In my opinion, he will be great and will produce a great return. However, will it have a good impact on the team? He will still have to buy into the Mourinho work ethic and I'm not sure his ego will necessarily be good for them. 

Reminds me of a little like Mahrez in 16/17 and 17/18 - we pretty much tried to go through Mahrez all the time and he was given a free role and the opposition knew if they stopped him they stopped us. It's going to be a similar thing for Bale. It was no coincidence imo that when Mahrez left, who is the most naturally gifted footballer we've ever had, that the team improved and we've now got a team that can find all sorts of solutions. Mahrez leaving forced us to play more as a "team" to find solutions and ironically we've improved since then. 

16 minutes ago, shailen said:

In my opinion, he will be great and will produce a great return. However, will it have a good impact on the team? He will still have to buy into the Mourinho work ethic and I'm not sure his ego will necessarily be good for them. 

Reminds me of a little like Mahrez in 16/17 and 17/18 - we pretty much tried to go through Mahrez all the time and he was given a free role and the opposition knew if they stopped him they stopped us. It's going to be a similar thing for Bale. It was no coincidence imo that when Mahrez left, who is the most naturally gifted footballer we've ever had, that the team improved and we've now got a team that can find all sorts of solutions. Mahrez leaving forced us to play more as a "team" to find solutions and ironically we've improved since then. 

Does Bale have a particularly large  ego though, where did that notion come from? I doubt it’s any bigger than that of Kane, Ali, Son even Danny Rose lol 

I also doubt Mourinho will do a Zidane and publicly call him out for being crap and unwanted. That might help haha 

13 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

Does Bale have a particularly large  ego though, where did that notion come from? I doubt it’s any bigger than that of Kane, Ali, Son even Danny Rose lol 

I also doubt Mourinho will do a Zidane and publicly call him out for being crap and unwanted. That might help haha 

Regardless of how he was treated at Madrid, to hold up that banner of Wales, golf, Madrid and to not even turn up to watch your teammates play, even if he's not selected is not professional and egotistical imo. Ofc Zidane didn't treat him with respect either but his ego meant he had to act out rather than get his head down and concentrate on getting back into the team. Kane and Son are hard workers and buy into the team philosophy as does Alli under Jose. Danny Rose isn't anywhere near the team based on his ego calling the Spurs defence sh*t.