Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

3 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

It reminds me of an interview Hugo Lloris had in the Mail back in March 2016, with this picture and the rather smug tagline "How many points are we ahead of Arsenal, again?" The whole article was one big w*nkfest about how brilliant Spurs were and how they were on course to win their first title in 55 years, conveniently ignoring the fact that we were already five points clear at the time. It's unfortunate that I can't actually find a scan of the back page itself, but the picture tells you everything you need to know about both Tottenham's over-confidence, and the media love-in / expectation that they were going to win it.

And we should never forget that. The Spurs fans I know were so convinced they were going to win the league - they didn't even consider us a threat. If we don't win it this season, ANYONE BUT SPURS (even Chelsea). 

If Bilic has been sacked then bad though it is, it's not in the same league as Watford sacking Pearson. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

And quickly followed up by the papers and BBC etc.

Might be worth remembering who broke this when the TS-hate comes out next time... lol

Ooo, put the claws away Geoff!^_^

I’d be worried if I was Brighton and Burnley now, Big Sam will turn WBA into a hard to beat team, he might just keep them up. 

Bilic sacking is really odd..... it’s not like they’re doing that badly either... unless there’s inside news his head has been turned towards another club as some have mentioned, Celtic?  

The biggest shock of the season is the fact OGS still has a job.....

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

Bilic sacking is really odd..... it’s not like they’re doing that badly either... unless there’s inside news his head has been turned towards another club as some have mentioned, Celtic?  

The biggest shock of the season is the fact OGS still has a job.....

You say that beatSheff U and they go above Chelsea...

8 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Big Sam has a great record at this level at keeping clubs up plus he's originally from that neck woods near Dudley. I think he'd do alright at the Baggies but shame for Billic he's still a good manager.

Allardyce is a Wolves fan from way back. Baggies fans don't want him for that reason. 

3 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

This, and with Liverpool playing Spurs they could quite possibly go top again if we fail to win. Saints are on fire this season

With Liverpool playing spurs, the only way Southampton can go top is by beating arsenal by 8 goals...

11 hours ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Pep turned a great Munich side into an average one, this isn’t unusual... 

I do have to pull you up on that one. Pep took over just after Bayern won the treble. He had three seasons in which he won the league three times, the cup twice and reached three CL semis.

Now, where his weakness does come is getting teams to perform in the big games, hence he "failed" in three CL semis and has consistently failed in the CL with Man City too. He makes some strange tactical decisions at some points that cost him and it feels like he lacks a plan B when his team aren't dominating and in particular, putting teams away. One week he would win 8-0 then the next he would draw 1-1 against a team he should be beating.

It must be said that wherever he goes (Bayern or Man City), the squad was already complete and what Pep does is fine tune it. He would never go to someone like Arsenal now (who need a minor rebuild). I don't think he is capable. He is a good manager but he lacks that final touch to be world class.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I do have to pull you up on that one. Pep took over just after Bayern won the treble. He had three seasons in which he won the league three times, the cup twice and reached three CL semis.

Now, where his weakness does come is getting teams to perform in the big games, hence he "failed" in three CL semis and has consistently failed in the CL with Man City too. He makes some strange tactical decisions at some points that cost him and it feels like he lacks a plan B when his team aren't dominating and in particular, putting teams away. One week he would win 8-0 then the next he would draw 1-1 against a team he should be beating.

It must be said that wherever he goes (Bayern or Man City), the squad was already complete and what Pep does is fine tune it. He would never go to someone like Arsenal now (who need a minor rebuild). I don't think he is capable. He is a good manager but he lacks that final touch to be world class.

Completely agree with this. He’s not exactly had to work his way up like a Klopp or others. He’s first management job was Barcelona, and then he’s gone around the top clubs in Europe who have the most resources - he spends big and does ok. OK. He hasn’t got anywhere near what he should have done with the clubs he’s been at and the resources he’s had.

Let’s see him go to a West Brom or another poor team and turn them into a decent side. Pep is good, but I find it ridiculous that the media bend over backward and love him so much. He’s done a lot for a certain style of football, and we have all seem to bought into this hierarchy that it is someone way intrinsically better than other ways of playing. Some of what he does is actually incredibly cynical - like the tactical fouls in order to break up opposition play. This is why I love it when other teams school boy Pep - like we did earlier in the season. He’s also such a sore loser. 

9 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Are you quite sure it's minor?

That club are in absolute disarray. From top to bottom there is something rotten. I suspect it was because Wenger was so powerful and surrounded himself by weak yes men. Modern football is less about the manager and increasingly more about the teams around him.

21 minutes ago, bmouth_fox said:

That club are in absolute disarray. From top to bottom there is something rotten. I suspect it was because Wenger was so powerful and surrounded himself by weak yes men. Modern football is less about the manager and increasingly more about the teams around him.

The issue at Arsenal is Kroenke. He thinks that just owning a club of Arsenal's stature is an automatic cash cow and doesn't need investment as they'll always be what they've always been ignoring the fact that everyone around them is continuously moving forward. 

It's a big problem for the club as so long as he's making money he doesn't care where they sit in the league and sees it as a prized asset that he doesn't want to let go. I'd be really frustrated if I was an Arsenal fan as they're having to watch their club go backwards and there's nothing that they can do. 

• Like 2