Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

2 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

This. Maybe I’ve got my blue tinted glasses on but the players that they have signed are good but not one is good enough to get in our first team. Which is what these players would want. 

Koch - decent but not as good as Soy or Evans.

Rodrigo - not fit to lace Vards boots.

De Paul decent again but tielemans, Madders and Ndidi stand ahead. 

Sometimes we forget that we hold some very very good footballers. 

I'm not sure anyone is suggesting that Leeds are trying to overtake Leicester this season.  You are years ahead of us, you're recent league winners for Christ's sake!  You having better or equivalent players to the ones we are signing is not really relevant.  Our ambitions are different.  We want to consolidate and then have some talent and a base to push on from.  You want Europe.  You SHOULD have better players.

The acquisitions so far have been superb and very well judged.  The one thing with Bielsa-far more than any manager I've ever seen-is that he improves every player he works with, by degrees.  You cant judge the signings on what they are now, you need to see them after a few months of being Bielsa'd!

1 minute ago, Pub breath said:

I'm not sure anyone is suggesting that Leeds are trying to overtake Leicester this season.  You are years ahead of us, you're recent league winners for Christ's sake!  You having better or equivalent players to the ones we are signing is not really relevant.  Our ambitions are different.  We want to consolidate and then have some talent and a base to push on from.  You want Europe.  You SHOULD have better players.

The acquisitions so far have been superb and very well judged.  The one thing with Bielsa-far more than any manager I've ever seen-is that he improves every player he works with, by degrees.  You cant judge the signings on what they are now, you need to see them after a few months of being Bielsa'd!

My response was with respect to whether the signings you or anyone else in the premier league has made signings that would improve us. I suspect they will improve you. I don’t think they would improve us. That was the point. Not having a go at your transfer business.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

My response was with respect to whether the signings you or anyone else in the premier league has made signings that would improve us. I suspect they will improve you. I don’t think they would improve us. That was the point. Not having a go at your transfer business.

Ah fair enough, perhaps I misunderstood.  It is kind of a moot point really as we won't be troubling you aside from the two games we play.  I'd say you should be more concerned about who Spurs and Arsenal are signing and whether you are keeping pace with that. 

When available a defence with Ricardo, Evans and Soyuncu is as solid as any club outside the elite 12 or so could wish for.

Chilwells departure is a concern yes but a winger and to a lesser extent an able striker to compliment Vardy have been our biggest issues post-Mahrez and is still something we need to sort out not the defence.

7 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Leeds taking huge risks - similar to Villa last season. You’ve simply needed PL experience to survive. It took us to sign Huth in realising. 

How much PL experience did the Sheffield United squad have last season?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

How much PL experience did the Sheffield United squad have last season?

Fair dues but slight difference being there, they signed Jagielka to play a background role and had a predominantly British based team. 

Villa, Fulham, Huddersfield, QPR - all examples in recent years of teams going big on signings from abroad only to struggle 

Just now, Harry96 said:

Leeds aren’t taking huge risks lol. Imagine thinking pl experience is a thing, it’s such a myth really. Leeds are buying smartly if anything. 

What makes the signing of De Paul any different from say Vietto at Fulham? 

Koch’s a decent signing - coming from a league which has similarities to the PL. 

Rodrigo has a hint of that lad from Malaga who joined Everton 

6 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Fair dues but slight difference being there, they signed Jagielka to play a background role and had a predominantly British based team. 

Villa, Fulham, Huddersfield, QPR - all examples in recent years of teams going big on signings from abroad only to struggle 

Some of the best teams in PL history have been almost entirely full of foreigners and I'd say the PL today is less different to any other league than it ever has been. 

Those teams who struggled made lots of very poor signings.  Where they came from is not the deciding factor.

Edited by Pub breath

48 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

SSN reporting that Donny van de Beek is close to signing for Man Utd

I imagine their fans will be pretty chirpy about that news 

He was going to join us but apparently someone from the club called him ‘me duck’ and he got all offended.

• Haha 2

Just now, Pub breath said:

Some of the best teams in PL history have been almost entirely full of foreigners and I'd say the PL today is less different to any other league than it ever has been.  Those teams made lots of very poor signings.  Where they came from is not the deciding factor.

Aye but we are talking world class foreigners aren’t we in those best teams  

Not three lads who played for teams in the mid table or even lower of the European leagues 

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Not three lads who played for teams in the mid table or even lower of the European leagues 

Well Barca and Athletico wanted Rodrigo.  Juve are our competition for De Paul and we are in talks for a Croatian defender who Bayern have been eyeing up.  Why would they be OK for those clubs but not Leeds?  

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Trust me Rodrigo and de paul can both easily play for sides in that top 6. Seen them both a fair few times. 

• Thanks 1

It's good that fans are returning to games, but just reading that Brighton fans experience makes me feel depressed, I have zero interest in attending a football game in those circumstances. I'd rather stick £50 (ticket cost and travel to game cost) on a tab in a pub and sit with all my mates watching it on the tv. At least we'd get a decent day out of it rather than 90 minutes.

29 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Liverpool FC: the 30 year wait. 

Prime time BBC2 Sunday night. They think we all love them as much as they do. 

:nigel:

Stevie G desperate to leave at one stage. I reckon, secretly, he regrets not joining Chelsea.

5 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

Well Barca and Athletico wanted Rodrigo.  Juve are our competition for De Paul and we are in talks for a Croatian defender who Bayern have been eyeing up.  Why would they be OK for those clubs but not Leeds?  

So why didn’t they sign them then?