Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

10 hours ago, shailen said:

I don't get this team player notion. Yes he doesn't shoot at every opportunity but teams are built around him. Everyone else does the dirty work for him and he's quite rightly allowed to have a free role and play how he wants. 

Man City don't play the same way as Barcelona. Messi will either play as a false nine or on the right. Guardiola likes his wingers to virtually touch the line so Messi will lose his influence if he plays there and if he plays as a false 9, Man City lose their presence up front given the amount of tap ins that Aguero or Jesus get. He will no doubt change something to get Messi in.

Barcelona were all about tiki taka, which was literally keep the ball until the opposition tire. Messi would then turn it on in spells when they've had the ball for a long spell and run through the oppositions tiring defence to create something or score. Man City are more about building from the back, finding spaces and exploiting them at pace. No doubt Messi will do well even then, but I don't think he's suited to that style of play. 

I see Messi future as a attacking midfielder with a free role behind a striker, basically can replace David Silva. That said, Bernardo Silva has a lot of influence of the right wing and so he could easily play there too. 

Is he worth it to pay back the £200 million+ that he'll cost. Barcelona will want a ridiculous fee and then he'll want at least a 2-3 year contract. I've seen figures of this being about £500 million in total.

I cannot see how he pays that back, other than winning 2-3 Champions Leagues. 

Man City fans I've spoken to don't want him as he'll upset the order of everything. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TamworthFoxes said:

I honestly can’t see how any football team in the world governed by FPP can afford him?

His reported basic wage at Barca is 800k a week. Even if he takes a 75% wage cut it rules out all but 3 or 4 teams in the world.

Madness.

I'm pretty sure the financial fair play rules are almost meaningless now if you have the power of the Manchester clubs

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

Is he worth it to pay back the £200 million+ that he'll cost. Barcelona will want a ridiculous fee and then he'll want at least a 2-3 year contract. I've seen figures of this being about £500 million in total.

I cannot see how he pays that back, other than winning 2-3 Champions Leagues. 

Man City fans I've spoken to don't want him as he'll upset the order of everything. 

They could make a huge dent commercially on that figure as I’m sure fans will buy anything with Messi on it, Man City would actually fill the etihad every game as there will be day trippers who would buy tickets just to see him play 

companies would be interested in sponsorship at Man City just to use Messi on their promotions 

juventus paid €100 million for Cristiano Ronaldo and made €60 million in 24 hours just on replica shirt sales 

2 years at Man City for Messi would project them into an elite club and not just a rich one. It would raise their profile worldwide and make them more popular. I don't think they can afford not to sign him. 

3 minutes ago, Webbo said:

2 years at Man City for Messi would project them into an elite club and not just a rich one. It would raise their profile worldwide and make them more popular. I don't think they can afford not to sign him. 

Exactly this. It would basically give them a free hit at any player in the world. If they can attract the world's best it will help them for years to come in the transfer market. 

Another massive factor it will attract other investors (not that they need it) from all over the world. Their stock value with raise dramatically and will probably offset the cost of signing him. 

It's not just the shirt sales (puma will be clean up if he does move) it's everything else that comes with Messi. It will create massive bidding wars for all their other sponsorships. Say official gambling partner as an example if a company can use Messi as their face of it it will generate so much money for them and city. 

When the world ellite players come available teams like city have to be interested. 

I’d prefer Messi to go to any club in England that not coming to England. I actually think Man City is ideal as the way they play will allow us all to see the very best of Messi. It will make Man City unstoppable though I fear

commercially as well this will turn Man City into a mega club which is also worrying.

1 hour ago, happy85 said:

A tiny % go to the club. 

Manchester City would forge a deal with the manufacturer. It’s happened before. Shirt manufacturers stand to make so much that they either part fund the transfer or wages of the player to get them there. 

2 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Manchester City would forge a deal with the manufacturer. It’s happened before. Shirt manufacturers stand to make so much that they either part fund the transfer or wages of the player to get them there. 

It’s like the Ronaldo deal. It was funded mainly by fiat rather than Juventus from what I read at the time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

It’s like the Ronaldo deal. It was funded mainly by fiat rather than Juventus from what I read at the time.

Yeah, it’s happened plenty in the past. With different parties having different interests. I’m sure Adidas have done it with Madrid (Beckham/Ronaldo etc). 

36 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

You have a complicated situation here though that Man City have a multi year deal with Puma and Messi is strictly in bed with Adidas. Unless Adidas bought Puma out of their contract (unlikely) then you would have to get Etihad to increase their contributions to cover the cost.

How come Leeds are so highly rated for the coming season? Genuine questions here? i also checked odd checker and the bookies have tipped them basically the next best outside the top 6?

What is so special about them or there team? or is it just the wank fest about there manager?

Capture.PNG

Edited by les-tah

6 minutes ago, les-tah said:

How come Leeds are so highly rated for the coming season? Genuine questions here? i also checked odd checker and the bookies have tipped them basically the next best outside the top 7?

What is so special about them or there team? or is it just the wank fest about there manager?

Capture.PNG

because there are plenty of deluded leeds fans willing to hand their money over to the bookies.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Yes N'Didi said:

You have a complicated situation here though that Man City have a multi year deal with Puma and Messi is strictly in bed with Adidas. Unless Adidas bought Puma out of their contract (unlikely) then you would have to get Etihad to increase their contributions to cover the cost.

Complicated in regards to Messi actually moving to Man City? 

If you mean, Puma putting up some of the costs, I can’t see it being an issue. They’d still be making a mint from shirt/merch sales. 

17 minutes ago, les-tah said:

How come Leeds are so highly rated for the coming season? Genuine questions here? i also checked odd checker and the bookies have tipped them basically the next best outside the top 7?

Capture.PNG

A newly promoted club has not had such media interest for years. Seen whole programmes dedicated to them being back in the Premier from both Sky and BT. When they first got promoted I looked at betting odds and they were shorter than even Arsenal.

I think they’ll do well, at least to start, but don’t think they’ll do as well as say Wolves in their first season back. 

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

FFP has been relaxed somewhat hasn’t it? I’d imagine sponsors would invest heavily too if Messi was pitching up at Man City like what happened when Ronaldo went to Juve.

Yeah, UEFA relaxed FFP due to Covid. Which would be factor for the small to middle clubs playing in European competition and it's just opened the door for the big boys to do the **** what they want 

Leeds, like Villa last year, will not do as well as people think they will. Pundits and bookies alike are much too excited about the prospect of a 'big club' being back in the Prem and so they're always projected to have better seasons. The fact of the matter is that Leeds have no better chance than West Brom or Fulham to succeed.

Predictions mean nothing. Every man and his dog predicted Sheffield United to be 20th. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gevans_97 said:

Leeds, like Villa last year, will not do as well as people think they will. Pundits and bookies alike are much too excited about the prospect of a 'big club' being back in the Prem and so they're always projected to have better seasons. The fact of the matter is that Leeds have no better chance than West Brom or Fulham to succeed.

Predictions mean nothing. Every man and his dog predicted Sheffield United to be 20th. 

Villa came up through the play offs, Leeds won the league. Villa had to cobble a squad together because so many players were on loan so overpaid for dross. Leeds have got a better squad and a much better manager so it’s understandable that they’re being hyped up.

The bottom half of the premier league is toss tbh so I wouldn’t be surprised if they finished in the top half like Sheff United did. They’re already better than Fulham and West Brom, probably better than Newcastle and Palace too even without signings. 

The narrative around them being a huge club will wear thin soon because they’ve not actually won that much but it doesn’t mean that they’re not an upwardly mobile club with a talented manager and squad, unlike Villa.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Villa came up through the play offs, Leeds won the league. Villa had to cobble a squad together because so many players were on loan so overpaid for dross. Leeds have got a better squad and a much better manager so it’s understandable that they’re being hyped up.

The bottom half of the premier league is toss tbh so I wouldn’t be surprised if they finished in the top half like Sheff United did. They’re already better than Fulham and West Brom, probably better than Newcastle and Palace too even without signings. 

The narrative around them being a huge club will wear thin soon because they’ve not actually won that much but it doesn’t mean that they’re not an upwardly mobile club with a talented manager and squad, unlike Villa.

The media are playing up to their fanbase. Which is big, obsessed but also slightly blinded by thinking they’re a huge club. 

That squad they had last season is really average. Bielsa worked wonders and his style of play was really effective. I don’t think it’ll work as well against better quality opposition though. They’ve got a few good players but the rest are just workers. 

Despite all that, I think they’ll stay up and possibly finish mid-table as there is a lot of dross in the league. 

Edit - they desperately need a striker!

Edited by Leeds Fox