Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

wolves have as issue with their owners. 

irrespective of what the public message is, I know from my Chinese partners that now is not the time for spending big money in the uk

whilst that doesn’t mean they will be pulling out, it could make them reticent about some of the big deals nuno may want and also his long term future there.

I don't know about your partners, but our owners have the majority of their money not in China thanks to a wide portfolio of non Chinese companies. There's been a bit of political pressure about investing in the UK but I'd read that is for new investments rather than existing ones. 

16 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I don't know about your partners, but our owners have the majority of their money not in China thanks to a wide portfolio of non Chinese companies. There's been a bit of political pressure about investing in the UK but I'd read that is for new investments rather than existing ones. 

this 

fosun may have money outside of China but this isn’t just about getting money to the club - it’s about the fact that if the club are obviously spending more than they are bringing in then It’s a bit obvious where it must be coming from .....  whilst the CCP aren’t publicly stating not to invest monies in the U.K. there is an acceptance in China that it isn’t encouraged and companies the size of fosun will likely be told 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Absolutely disgraceful. Most overpaid manager in Europe by an absolute mile. How on earth did we get suckered in that badly?

I think we all realise that you don't like Rodgers but give it a rest, please.

Admittedly the end to the season was very disappointing, as was not qualifying for the CL from the position we were in.

Rodgers got us to 5th place and secured European football, which is still a decent achievement.

I will look at how we get on this season, rather than making a premature judgement on whether Rodgers has done a good job or not. I will also trust our owners to make the right call on his position, either now or in the future.

6 minutes ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

I think we all realise that you don't like Rodgers but give it a rest, please.

Admittedly the end to the season was very disappointing, as was not qualifying for the CL from the position we were in.

Rodgers got us to 5th place and secured European football, which is still a decent achievement.

I will look at how we get on this season, rather than making a premature judgement on whether Rodgers has done a good job or not. I will also trust our owners to make the right call on his position, either now or in the future.

He’s got the perfect excuse at the moment with no signings to be fair

5 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Odd transfer.

Right up there with us going for Bennett.

idk, 4 goals and 3 assists last season isnt a bad return. 9 goals and assists the previous year also. he's not awful defensively either.

Edited by blaaklint

3 hours ago, Harry96 said:

Wow if they pull this off it will be some window for Leeds. 

Possibly but then you just don't know. Remember when Fulham spent £100m a few seasons back? People were creaming themselves over the likes of Seri, Schurrle, Anguissa, Vietto etc etc and they bombed horribly. I'll be honest, don't know much about De Paul but IMHO Rodrigo for £30m is a big risk.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Possibly but then you just don't know. Remember when Fulham spent £100m a few seasons back? People were creaming themselves over the likes of Seri, Schurrle, Anguissa, Vietto etc etc and they bombed horribly. I'll be honest, don't know much about De Paul but IMHO Rodrigo for £30m is a big risk.

This. Maybe I’ve got my blue tinted glasses on but the players that they have signed are good but not one is good enough to get in our first team. Which is what these players would want. 

Koch - decent but not as good as Soy or Evans.

Rodrigo - not fit to lace Vards boots.

De Paul decent again but tielemans, Madders and Ndidi stand ahead. 

Sometimes we forget that we hold some very very good footballers. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I don't think I've wanted a team to go straight back down more than I do with Leeds. Unreal arrogance for a promoted side. Only thing they bring is a good bit of atmosphere to games but we don't even get that. 

Got an example of the clubs arrogance? I haven't seen any?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - salary cap. 
There's too much money swanning about the league and it's going to iffy places. I know it's being debated by Leagues 1 and 2 but I think it needs to be across the board. You can't have clubs spending 70% or more just on player wages. Sure, the PFA and the agents will kick up a fuss but, come on, average yearly salaries for EPL players are now £3 million. I know we've thought the bubble might burst before but you can't keep that up indefinitely. 

How I see it, if a club is willing to spend ridiculous amounts of money on a player and his wages, that’s just market forces. If they feel they’re going to get value for money good luck to the club. What irritates me is agents getting X millions out of the club for doing sod all. The player hires an agent to get a few extra quid out of a contract. Why on earth an agent is anything to do with the club I have no idea. 

1 hour ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

This. Maybe I’ve got my blue tinted glasses on but the players that they have signed are good but not one is good enough to get in our first team. Which is what these players would want. 

Koch - decent but not as good as Soy or Evans.

Rodrigo - not fit to lace Vards boots.

De Paul decent again but tielemans, Madders and Ndidi stand ahead. 

Sometimes we forget that we hold some very very good footballers. 

Hey. We've got 8 superb outfield players!  I never forget that..

Problem is one's been sold, Wilf AWOL, Maddison and Ricardo injured and Evans suspended.  

That leaves just Vardy, Tielemans and Soyuncu as our  only top.class players lining up for the first few games. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Problem is one's been sold, Wilf AWOL, Maddison and Ricardo injured and Evans suspended.  

That leaves just Vardy, Tielemans and Soyuncu as our  only top.class players lining up for the first few games. 

Would be very surprised if wilf didn’t start the season. Don’t think I’ve ever seen him with bad fitness and he doesn’t drink so hasn’t been out partying like some.

Edited by Lambert09

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

But one or even three windows is not going to fix a mini crisis like this. The priority signing is a LB because we have lost our regular starter and do not have a ready made replacement. And we should be working hard to find that replacement, within budget and constraints given the pandemic. 

There is constant demand for 5/6 players because our squad is “shit” and envy towards other sides transfer dealings. Let’s be frank apart from Chelsea, I don’t think anyone has signed anyone who improves us. The Leeds example was just one of many. Palace have signed the lad from QPR. Up and coming, great skills and meant to be the next big thing. Guess what, this time last year it was Che Adams. Who else could we compare ? Brighton with their 3 year deal to Lallana. Perhaps Southampton and their RB from Spurs who is at best on par with James Justin.  Remember, these “shit” players absolutely brushed aside Sheff U and Palace post lockdown and guess what, our “useless” left winger is idolised by the team we play first up - yet we are to some destined for bottom of the league ?

Unfortunately, teams go through mini crisis. The unfortunate thing is we have come off one and due to the circumstances are about to go into another. However, the idea that signing players of similar ilk to our starting 11 is a quick fire job is getting a bit tiresome. It would cost us near on £200m and such players would expect starting spots even when the big guns come back. 

PS - this post is certainly not aimed at you, I’m just letting off some frustration from reading some of the comments. 

Edited by Mickyblueeyes
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

But one or even three windows is not going to fix a mini crisis like this. The priority signing is a LB because we have lost our regular starter and do not have a ready made replacement. And we should be working hard to find that replacement, within budget and constraints given the pandemic. 

There is constant demand for 5/6 players because our squad is “shit” and envy towards other sides transfer dealings. Let’s be frank apart from Chelsea, I don’t think anyone has signed anyone who improves us. The Leeds example was just one of many. Palace have signed the lad from QPR. Up and coming, great skills and meant to be the next big thing. Guess what, this time last year it was Che Adams. Who else could we compare ? Brighton with their 3 year deal to Lallana. Perhaps Southampton and their RB from Spurs who is at best on par with James Justin.  Remember, these “shit” players absolutely brushed aside Sheff U and Palace post lockdown and guess what, our “useless” left winger is idolised by the team we play first up - yet we are to some destined for bottom of the league ?

Unfortunately, teams go through mini crisis. The unfortunate thing is we have come off one and due to the circumstances are about to go into another. However, the idea that signing players of similar ilk to our starting 11 is a quick fire job is getting a bit tiresome. It would cost us near on £200m and such players would expect starting spots even when the big guns come back. 

PS - this post is certainly not aimed at you, I’m just letting of some frustration from reading some of the comments. 

No probs. I agree largely..and although i singled out our 8 elite players, the back up of, Gray, Barnes, Wes, Fuchs, Perez, ihanehacho albrighton, Praet, Mendy, praet, Choudhury and JJ is as good as you could hope for. All half decent PL level pros. 

Injuries and occasional bits of bad luck will affect anyone ....I jus find it staggering that we so far have failed to address LB if nothing else. We've known for months and months this gap needed filling. 

Our losses ATM are the equivalent of Liverpool losing VVD, TAA, Robertson, Henderson and Salah for the opening few games. Or Man City minus Walker, Mendy, Laporte, KDB and Fernandinho. 

I'd wager both clubs would've done something by now in the transfer window. Yet we've done zilch.