Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

So why didn’t they sign them then? 

Valencia turned down Barca's bid for Rodrigo in Feb.  They wanted more but they are in the financial shit and we have somehow nicked him.  Perhaps Barca went on to other targets, I really don't know mate.

We haven't signed the other two yet but if we do, it will probably be for many factors, not least Bielsa.

Edited by Pub breath

9 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

Well Barca and Athletico wanted Rodrigo.  Juve are our competition for De Paul and we are in talks for a Croatian defender who Bayern have been eyeing up.  Why would they be OK for those clubs but not Leeds?  

Not saying you will suffer the same fate but Fulham got players like Seri who was on the verge of signing for Barcelona and Schurle who has recently won the World Cup and was a very good player and they were abysmal. Less is more in the first season in the PL sometimes, 4-5 signings max and keep the trust in the majority of the players who got you there.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Not saying you will suffer the same fate but Fulham got players like Seri who was on the verge of signing for Barcelona and Schurle who has recently won the World Cup and was a very good player and they were abysmal. Less is more in the first season in the PL sometimes, 4-5 signings max and keep the trust in the majority of the players who got you there.

I completely agree and said something similar when the season ended.  The mistake Fulham made was definitely to make too many changes at once.  That isn't Bielsa.  I think Fulham signed something like 14 players.  I would be surprised if we went past 6 for the first team.  None of them will start until they have passed the Bielsa boot camp!  That'll be weeks, beyond the season opener.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Liverpool FC: the 30 year wait. 

Prime time BBC2 Sunday night. They think we all love them as much as they do. 

:nigel:

30+ yrs ago,,,I loved L'pool and their supporters, even probably 5 years into this 30 year wait.

But the fans started to become whining bores.

Though I have to damit  I liked To Watch L'Pool in their European games & successes..!!

I have liked Klopp for years ( BvB und Mainz05 association)...Hes like MON,wears his emotions on his sleeve....and doesnt Bleat out the old normal cliche's.

Ask a questions  he opens up.....Always backed his players,will admit Teams average-poor performances...

Some boring fan observers,dont like him because he has an opinion and is a confident guy...

I also dont always agree with him,but at least he has an opinion ...

Edited by fuchsntf

Rumblings that Spurs are close to signing Josh King. Shame as I really feel he could do a job for us. He can play wide or centrally, has a bit of pace - seems to me like a potentially good partner for Vardy. Not our priority though tbf.

Just now, Paddy. said:

Rumblings that Spurs are close to signing Josh King. Shame as I really feel he could do a job for us. He can play wide or centrally, has a bit of pace - seems to me like a potentially good partner for Vardy. Not our priority though tbf.

Spurs making some really horrible purchases

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paddy. said:

Not sure about Doherty admittedly but I think King is a good player and defo a decent option to have from a squad point of view.

Just think they are a worrying step down in class for a club who up until recently were comfortably top 4. Hojberg doesn't impress me, Doherty is solid but certainly not the same level as Trippier was who they sold for no reason last summer. King had a great season 2-3 years ago but other than that he's been a sort of Ayoze Perez type hot and cold PL player.

1 hour ago, Pub breath said:

I completely agree and said something similar when the season ended.  The mistake Fulham made was definitely to make too many changes at once.  That isn't Bielsa.  I think Fulham signed something like 14 players.  I would be surprised if we went past 6 for the first team.  None of them will start until they have passed the Bielsa boot camp!  That'll be weeks, beyond the season opener.

Fulham's problem was most of the team that got them promoted were all on loan and returned to parent clubs, they'd about 8 or 9 of the squad left. Adding only a few is always best practice but they practically had to sign a team and it didn't end well. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Just think they are a worrying step down in class for a club who up until recently were comfortably top 4. Hojberg doesn't impress me, Doherty is solid but certainly not the same level as Trippier was who they sold for no reason last summer. King had a great season 2-3 years ago but other than that he's been a sort of Ayoze Perez type hot and cold PL player.

Totally agree about Hojberg, that's a weird one. Has never been anything more than bang average at Southampton. I guess the £1bn stadium might be one reason they're shopping in the reduced section.

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Trippier was an odd one. Didn't he say after he left that the club was rotten or something like that? Around the time that Harry Kane was rumoured to have clocked Vertonghen for supposedly giving Eriksen's missus a beef injection.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Fulham's problem was most of the team that got them promoted were all on loan and returned to parent clubs, they'd about 8 or 9 of the squad left. Adding only a few is always best practice but they practically had to sign a team and it didn't end well. 

Yep, good point.  That's the obvious risk in loaning yourself into the PL.  Not a problem SU especially had.

11 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Liverpool FC: the 30 year wait. 

Prime time BBC2 Sunday night. They think we all love them as much as they do. 

:nigel:

Thought Brendan's input was interesting. Still clearly rattled by the whole thing. Managed to subtly imply that he basically engineered the Liverpool renaissance without actually saying so out loud...nice that he did it in a LCFC top as well. 

Have to say that Klopp came over well. Bit of a media darling, but for once a decent bloke despite that. 

28 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Depends if it's being done to improve something or for the sake of it.

Maybe ... I mean I love watching four well off (maybe not merse) middle aged white men talk nonsense as much as the rest. But why shouldn’t women or BAME pundits be afforded the opportunity to have a go? I mean it can’t get much worse then what it actually is at the minute. There is a need to provide opportunities across society and football should be showing the way. Not having a dig at you btw mate 

Edited by casablancas
  • Like 2

Soccer Saturday could probably benefit from starting about 2.30pm, short previews of all the games, coverage of the 3pm matches then summing up the games until about 5.30pm. No need for the big debates and the mediocre, out of touch punditry that often appears.

• Like 2

Anyone that comes in needs to have a decent personality otherwise it's just going to be dull bland statements. Micah Richards would be decent in that respect. I'd even have Crouchy, and then Alex Scott as she's a decent pundit. 

Paul Merson

Micah Richards

Alex Scott

Peter Crouch 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Anyone that comes in needs to have a decent personality otherwise it's just going to be dull bland statements. Micah Richards would be decent in that respect. I'd even have Crouchy, and then Alex Scott as she's a decent pundit. 

Paul Merson

Micah Richards

Alex Scott

Peter Crouch 

Not a fan of Scott. Just imo dull. Same with Richards don’t get his appeal. Seems to laugh a lot about nothing. I like Matt Murray and Neil mellor. Rather have maya jama on than crouch.