Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

11 minutes ago, The Bear said:

You're welcome to your opinion but but I don't agree whatsoever. What we spent on Silva is irrelevant. And this season has nothing to do with him. The "bumps" you mention have mainly been stuff out of our control, like injuries. Changing formation and style was a conscious decision from the manager and he'll ultimately be judged on that. Doing it during a pandemic with no pre-season may be a poor decision in hindsight for sure. 

And Doc isn't a quality RB! He's a shite RB who happened to fit our very specific wing-back system. He's barely played for Spurs recently because he can't play in a four. Semedo had been here 6 months and is still too early to judge but he looks decent going forward and is much better on the ball that Doc. Jota went because it was Liverpool, no bones about that. Though he had started to go stale for us. The fans certainly weren't up in arms about it. 

Sort of sums it up for me the way I see Wolves management and fans at present. 

'Oh well he'd started to go a bit flat for us so we're well rid'

Liverpool would be several points clear at the top if he hadn't go injured :teehee:

Same with 'Doc'... as a fan from the outside that's someone who consistently assisted and scored and got you points. But as soon as Nuno/Mendes sniff a chance at a big name he's shipped out. I've seen Semedo several time for Barca and he's cost them games, i've watched him a few times for you this season and he's done exactly the same.

I just think as fans you've been a bit spoilt and you're a bit 'well we will have already found their replacement' so there's no patience with players or effort to bring them on. I wouldn't be surprised to see you sell Traore soon to be honest for similar reasons. 

1 minute ago, Koke said:

I disagree. He is 18 and his movements off the ball and link up play is decent. How many 18 year olds play regularly in the Premier League? Very few. You have to be an exceptional talent like Fabregas, Rooney and Rashford to be playing regular PL football at 18. Fabio Silva isn't on that level but I see talent in him. I think he will be great when he is 22. 

For £35m you would expect to see “exceptional talent” (or something hinting at the potential for it) even at 18. Sorry, I don’t see anything remotely that suggests he can live up to that price tag. 

4 minutes ago, Hammo said:

For £35m you would expect to see “exceptional talent” (or something hinting at the potential for it) even at 18. Sorry, I don’t see anything remotely that suggests he can live up to that price tag. 

That thinking behind it was seeing someone like Joao Felix go for crazy money (not that I'm comparing them). The scouting team watched Silva for 3 years, saw him bagging a goal a game in Porto's youth teams, and decided he was going to be worth a lot more than £35m in a few years. 

Whether that was a good decision remains to be seen in the fullness of time. The way transfer fees are going he may be looked back on as a bargain, or a complete waste of money. 

Edited by The Bear

3 minutes ago, Corky said:

Ridiculous that the likely winner of the league this season will have lost either 7-2, 6-1 or 5-2 at home.

Or losing 1-0 away to Ukrainian farmers.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, The Bear said:

That thinking behind it was seeing someone like Joao Felix go for crazy money (not that I'm comparing them). The scouting team watched Silva for 3 years, saw him bagging a goal a game in Porto's youth teams, and decided he was going to be worth a lot more than £35m in a few years. 

Whether that was a good decision remains to be seen in the fullness of time. The way transfer fees are going he may be looked back on as a bargain, or a complete waste of money. 

I agree with you here tbh. Fans are too quick to judge, you have to trust your scouts. If he was the finished article you wouldn’t have got him for that price.

However, It’s not the talent I question with him, it’s the EPL. It’s a physically tough league and he might never adjust to that, whatever his potential. 

im sure a few big loan breaks and you’d get your money back anyway 

• Like 1

United have about 4/5 players there who can win a game on their own. Seem to have plugged some leaks at the back since Bailly came in too. 

Ole winning a league would feel so cheap though, really hope it doesn't happen

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Bear said:

You've picked put two players there who've barely been at the club 5 mins. And one of them is 18 and shouldn't be playing yet. Probably why we've recalled Cutrone. 

Our recruitment policy is clearly trying to emulate someone like Dortmund. Lots of highly rated U21 players to blend into the team when ready. Kilman, Hoever, Ait-Nouri, Vitinha, Otasawie, Neto, Silva. All of those are getting minutes and/or breaking through to be regulars this season. 

Sky had an article the other day that said we have given double the amount of PL minutes to U21 players than anyone else this season. The long term strategy is pretty clear IMO. 

Having young players isn’t an excuse for having a poor team. There needs to be a blend for them to progress. I can guarantee if Leicester were sat in 14th in the league we wouldn’t be pointing to the youth in the squad and Rodgers almost certainly would be out of a job. It’s about ambition.

I think the relationship with the agent worked well in the championship where he was bringing in players above that level but now in the premier league it hasn’t worked at all. It’s clear that some players arent up to standard and semedo embodies this the most. Anyone who watches Spanish football could see he was poor but yet wolves paid a lot for him. Silva is another matter because of his age and talent but for me wolves weren’t in a position where they should have been signing players that weren’t ready for the first team for such a fee. 

I see relegation in wolves short term future personally. It’s taken longer than I expected. I predicted it last season. It all comes down to the system and recruitment model for me. 

Results from today and by Saturday will mean our game against the saints becomes a MUST WIN if we want to stay in the mix. Can’t afford to drop points. Games will become hotly contested scraps which we must try to grind out a result by any means necessary. Pogbas deflected shot today made the difference for manu today. Small margins.

We aren't getting relegated! lol

Not because we're "too good to go down" but because we have double Fulham's total in 3rd bottom after nearly half a season - 22 compared to 11. Once we get some of our 6 injured first team players back, results will pick up. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

Having young players isn’t an excuse for having a poor team. There needs to be a blend for them to progress. I can guarantee if Leicester were sat in 14th in the league we wouldn’t be pointing to the youth in the squad and Rodgers almost certainly would be out of a job. It’s about ambition.

I think the relationship with the agent worked well in the championship where he was bringing in players above that level but now in the premier league it hasn’t worked at all. It’s clear that some players arent up to standard and semedo embodies this the most. Anyone who watches Spanish football could see he was poor but yet wolves paid a lot for him. Silva is another matter because of his age and talent but for me wolves weren’t in a position where they should have been signing players that weren’t ready for the first team for such a fee. 

I see relegation in wolves short term future personally. It’s taken longer than I expected. I predicted it last season. It all comes down to the system and recruitment model for me. 

Wolves aren't finishing in the bottom 3 man lol

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Wolves aren't finishing in the bottom 3 man lol

I didn’t say this season but I could definitely see it next season. I don’t see things improving. If a team like Fulham can put a run together then it could happen this season but I agree that is unlikely. 

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

You've picked put two players there who've barely been at the club 5 mins. And one of them is 18 and shouldn't be playing yet. Probably why we've recalled Cutrone. 

Our recruitment policy is clearly trying to emulate someone like Dortmund. Lots of highly rated U21 players to blend into the team when ready. Kilman, Hoever, Ait-Nouri, Vitinha, Otasawie, Neto, Silva. All of those are getting minutes and/or breaking through to be regulars this season. 

Sky had an article the other day that said we have given double the amount of PL minutes to U21 players than anyone else this season. The long term strategy is pretty clear IMO. 

Surely though, if you’re forced to play players who shouldn’t be playing yet after one injury, then your recruitment policy is flawed.

It’s all well and good throwing big money at the next big thing, but if that comes at the expense of players who are ready to play now then it’s not a great policy.

1 hour ago, twister said:

we know who is winning this league now,them again.

after maguire handballed at the end I turned to my brother and said

this novel already has a ending

Its a dull as dishwater but as obvious as the sea

I like this post, it reads like a song.  Just needs a chorus.