Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
IsItMuzzy

Europa League 20/21

3 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

If that's true that is certainly positive progress and I'm glad things are moving in the right direction. 

I think part of the issue will be that I like a lot of people don't follow Scottish football regularly so only take notice when incidents do happen. In the last couple of years I can remember incidents with Kyle Lafferty as well as the whole IRA song about Rodgers which have really shocked me. But I accept that those kind for things are probably happening less than in the past. It is unacceptable none the less. 

Yeah I can understand from the outside looking in with idiots on social media and stuff like that why people think it but it's certainly not the case for the majority now, if anything bar european nights our home games are really vanilla and quite mundane in terms of atmosphere in the league, certainly no IRA or religous chanting or the likes. The stuff with Rangers getting stands shut by UEFA sheds a bad light on our game I'll admit but since the days of Fergus McCann there's been a huge drive to eradicate it from Celtic park and more importantly in schools etc and to me it seems to be working as like I said at home games there is none of it now. Unfortunately there will always be a minority of idiots but like I said it's the same at most clubs. I'll testify to that having been all over Europe in the last 20 years at various clubs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sly said:

Funnily enough! It isn’t for me! :D

I think you’d have the potential to grow, should you be in the Premier League. I’m not sure how well adapted the current squad would be, as I think you lack the quality of previous generations currently. I don’t get the impression that Lennon is the greatest Manager either, so I wonder if that also constricts you. 

Nah the current squad would really struggle playing a full season in the premier league, as it stands we'd be in a relegation battle, like I said on the other thread imo only McGregor and Edouard would make it in the EPL. That's pretty much a moot point though as given the TV money we'd get and the money we generate from selling out the stadium every week we'd have decent spending power and should be able to improve the squad fairly quickly to the point we could survive in the league anyway I'd think.

Yeah your right about Lennon, I really didn't want him back to replace Rodgers and my fears about his management style from first time around are rearing their head again.

Edited by Muzzy_Larsson
  • Like 1

15 - 20 years ago, I landed in Belfast for the first time on business. Being a naive graduate at the time, I picked up my hire car and drove unaware into an orange march. At the time, I was ignorant of the religious divide and was quite shocked to see someone being beaten with a golf club and people hurling bricks and bottles at each other. 

I haven’t been back to Belfast in over 10 years, (having spent years living in a hotel there). However whilst having an uneasy tension, I think the divide improved as the younger generation came through for my duration in Northern Ireland. I’d imagine this would be similar to the hostility people refer to at Celtic / Rangers games. You’d like to think it’s more of a football rivalry now, than a religious one. As the younger generations come through, that will only improve. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Dunno why people get on high horse about a new thread being started. Loads of threads get merged anyway.

Nor do I.  And thanks for yours (and the others support).  Thank God FT members are in the main, kind and understanding creatures:ph34r:......

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sly said:

15 - 20 years ago, I landed in Belfast for the first time on business. Being a naive graduate at the time, I picked up my hire car and drove unaware into an orange march. At the time, I was ignorant of the religious divide and was quite shocked to see someone being beaten with a golf club and people hurling bricks and bottles at each other. 

I haven’t been back to Belfast in over 10 years, (having spent years living in a hotel there). However whilst having an uneasy tension, I think the divide improved as the younger generation came through for my duration in Northern Ireland. I’d imagine this would be similar to the hostility people refer to at Celtic / Rangers games. You’d like to think it’s more of a football rivalry now, than a religious one. As the younger generations come through, that will only improve. 

Jeezo, I've never been to Belfast in the best of times is a completely different world to even Glasgow in the worst of times.

3 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Seems as well that following a religion is becoming less common in people with western world heritage, and push for equality in our mixed society means more people are more accepting of eachothers differences. 

I imagine the larger majority of Celtic fans' these days follow them for the football (glory hunters ;)) rather than religious ties. Mad to read your experience though and think that was only 10-15 years ago! 

in general you are right about the trend - however, the area that iis growing is extremist in all religions ... so there is more polarity and and increases possibility of clashes. Just look at the news.

8 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Seems as well that following a religion is becoming less common in people with western world heritage, and push for equality in our mixed society means more people are more accepting of eachothers differences. 

I imagine the larger majority of Celtic fans' these days follow them for the football (glory hunters ;)) rather than religious ties. Mad to read your experience though and think that was only 10-15 years ago! 

Yes, I think it shows how far we’ve come in that time period though.

The western world has had a change in philosophy with regards to religion. I do believe that more people are culturally aware of the Eastern world now. We’re a fairly diverse city, so most likely appreciate it more. 

You’ll always have certain sections of any club that football isn’t the number 1 priority for attending a game. All football associations and clubs can do is try and keep these people away from grounds. You only have to look at how the England came with the racial chanting last year. That was handily extremely poorly by UEFA in my opinion. 

Keyboard warriors on Twitter are another thing though. 

The most hostile football match I’ve ever been to, was actually a game between Bristol City and Cardiff. Leaving the ground, a pavement slab came through the back window of the taxi! 

I’d quite like to attend a Leicester / Celtic game. 

...... attending any game would be quite nice, if this virus would like to do one! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

in general you are right about the trend - however, the area that iis growing is extremist in all religions ... so there is more polarity and and increases possibility of clashes. Just look at the news.

Is it more common, or more widely published. I’m not sure. 

Either way, it would be quite nice if we could just be tolerant of each other, without feeling the need to abuse and

Injure someone for being / believing something different.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sly said:

Is it more common, or more widely published. I’m not sure. 

Either way, it would be quite nice if we could just be tolerant of each other, without feeling the need to abuse and

Injure someone for being / believing something different.  

Agree with you sentiment.  It is both more common and more publicised. For some time the bits of christian Church that are growing are the more extreme parts - it seems similar with other faiths, I went to a talk by Richard Dawkins and he rercoghnised it yet was at a loos to explain it against a background of a movement to agnosticism and atheism... yet more polariosed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sly said:

Agree largely.

But it never was about religion. It's about culture/identity. Subtle but big difference.

2 hours ago, Sly said:

When is the group stage draw? 

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

Couple more qualifying rounds and then group stage on 2nd Oct. 

47 minutes ago, thegaffer9 said:

Whens the draw for the group stages?

Are you taking the piss lol

Literally 2 posts above yours. 

10 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Fair enough mate, I never seen it but happy to stand corrected in light of that. We're no different to any other club in that we have a brainless minority.

Ha ha quality. Did not happen that’s a lie?!?

Proved wrong literally minutes later.

Absolute scum club. The green brigade revel in the hatred of England and the crown.

Take it from someone who was in Belfast for an England game and Scotland for the Euro play off in 96, they hate us with a passion.

The more I read the rubbish on here the more it makes me think no body goes to any games. 

Update on teams from Ireland progress.....Derry and Bohemians (a Dublin based team) both went out after extra time

Shamrock Rovers (Dublin based team) drew 2 2 with a team from Finland tonight and won penalty shoot out 12.  11 ..So they’re thru to 2nd qualifying round and will be joined by Dundalk who lost their Champions League qualifier

• Like 2