Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
IsItMuzzy

Europa League 20/21

19 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Find it disconcerting how some of our fans turn up their noses at the Europa League.

And we qualified through league position for the first time in our history!!

Yeah it's not the Champions League and we messed up that chance but crikey if you listen to some on here they're more negative than when we dropped into Division3 !!!

Don't forget, 5th place was failure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Find it disconcerting how some of our fans turn up their noses at the Europa League.

Yeah it's not the Champions League and we messed up that chance but crikey if you listen to some on here they're more negative than when we dropped into Division3 !!!

I think it’s only an English thing to loo down at the Europa League, the only thing I can think of is the massive amount of money the ‘top 6’spend, they all expect to be in the CL and look down on the EL as if to take the piss out of the two teams from that big 6 who have to play in it.

This appears to have rubbed off on the rest who really cannot compete financially with those clubs and should be buzzing for a European tour.

Look at the way Sevilla celebrated and their return home. This could be us!

If we take this competition seriously and get a bit of luck along the way, no reason why we can’t win it.

• Like 1

On 23/08/2020 at 09:42, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Im usually the most glass half full fan you'll meet but even I'm really struggling to see it from this kind of perspective at the minute.

The way it happened is obviously still hurting so much, but its what the Europa League is in comparison. The champions league is the ultimate. The music, the legends on show, the chances for the greatest nights in our history. 

What they've let the Europa League become is really cheap budget version that non of the big teams really want to be in, and treat it very much that way until they get quite far on and need it to quality for the bigger competition. Money ruined most competitions meaning and this was another. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ian Nacho said:

I’m glad it’s the Europa League to be honest. I’d be absolutely devastated if we got Barca or someone like that in the Champions League and I couldn’t go. 

I’d be more devastated by watching a game of football where we are likely to lose and be dominated for the majority. 

2 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

Im usually the most glass half full fan you'll meet but even I'm really struggling to see it from this kind of perspective at the minute.

The way it happened is obviously still hurting so much, but its what the Europa League is in comparison. The champions league is the ultimate. The music, the legends on show, the chances for the greatest nights in our history. 

What they've let the Europa League become is really cheap budget version that non of the big teams really want to be in, and treat it very much that way until they get quite far on and need it to quality for the bigger competition. Money ruined most competitions meaning and this was another. 

Obviously?

I felt the crushing disappointment as it was slipping away but by the time we lost to ManU I'd reluctantly got used to the idea.

Who cares if the "big clubs" in each country want to avoid the UEL because it's a 'cheap, budget' version of the UCL?

We're not one of the "big clubs" (yet - although we may never be one) so while it's good to aim for the stars, let's not lose our shiit too much over it.

We missed out on the UCL and we've still got European football, and a competition we've got more a genuine chance of doing better in. 

6 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Obviously?

I felt the crushing disappointment as it was slipping away but by the time we lost to ManU I'd reluctantly got used to the idea.

Who cares if the "big clubs" in each country want to avoid the UEL because it's a 'cheap, budget' version of the UCL?

We're not one of the "big clubs" (yet - although we may never be one) so while it's good to aim for the stars, let's not lose our shiit too much over it.

We missed out on the UCL and we've still got European football, and a competition we've got more a genuine chance of doing better in. 

I hear you, i just cant feel this way yet. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

I understand that but as a fan you dream of going to Barcelona not Bulgaria. 

Is the blow not softened by the fact that we won’t be able to go anywhere to see the boys playing ??

does it matter which empty stadium we’re playing in?

as fans, we should be a lot less disappointed than the director of finance is ........that’s where the frustration should lie - as opposed to playing in an empty Bucharest bowl  instead of a Milanese version .......

Edited by st albans fox

Qualification to the UCL is obviously beneficial to finances and club status. However, is non-qualification such a massive blow to our fan base? Before 2016/17 I barely watched it (especially the group stages) and didn't find it interesting. I've not really bothered with it since. I went to all of our home UCL games and would've gone (c19 permitting) this time had we been in it. However, let's not forget how long it took the club to shift tickets for the early rounds when they were available right up until the day before. I don't think we are any different to other fanbases. My mate is a Man City fan and he can't be bothered with it, loves booing the anthem. The media go on and on about how great it is but as fans I think it comes a very poor second to the Premier League. 

Really looking forward to this. 1st step qualify for Europe regularly. Help build our brand, and increasingly improve the perception of lcfc to potential future signings.

In reality if we ever managed a Seville I would be delighted. Haven't they won it 4 times in 7 years or something? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bert said:

I’d be more devastated by watching a game of football where we are likely to lose and be dominated for the majority. 

I might get a bit of stick for this but I'm almost relieved we didn't qualify. It could have been embarrassing. 

10 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Talk of winning it is fairytale. 

Rodgers doesn't get teams to finals. 

He also shits his pants in Europe, just look at his record at Liverpool. 

That's like saying Ranieri never wins Premier League titles in summer of 2015...

Edited by StanSP
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Talk of winning it is fairytale. 

Rodgers doesn't get teams to finals. 

He also shits his pants in Europe, just look at his record at Liverpool. 

I often wonder how awful it must be to feel the need to post in the way you do sometimes. I struggle with life at times, but at no point do I consistently come here and just dump all my crap like some people do. I sincerely hope you're a happy person in reality.

I'm bang up for this now. 

Watching both European finals over the weekend, you have to say that the spectacle (especially from the CL) has been lost within empty stadiums, unfortunately - and gone with it is much of the magic of European nights.

Whilst it would've been preferable to qualify for the CL this season for obvious reasons, part of me is also kinda glad we're not doing it when the world is like this.

Give the EL a real go this season, and we can get into the real latter stages of this competition. On our day we're more than capable of matching the likes of Leverkusen, Lille, Roma and Feyenoord. 

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1

Realistically if Europe survives over the winter without too much damage, there’s a chance we get to travel in February for an European awayday. 

That’s more like to occur in the Europa League rather than Pot 4 of the Champions League hoping for either the Portuguese or Russian champions as your top seed