Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
IsItMuzzy

Europa League 20/21

48 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Belgrade really ??  Scariest ever experience I have ever had watching football Red Star V Leicester - UEFA Cup - in Vienna.  I recall the racism against our colored players was deplorable.

That’s what I’m saying the match experience in either place would probably be very scary. The cities though, separate from the football would be quite interesting to see. 

1 hour ago, TiffToff88 said:

Weren't there flares thrown into the away end too? I was only 10 at the time but i do have memories if feeling very intimidated by the whole experience

Yep.  I didn't help that drinking beer was allowed in the seats, coupled with fact the Austrian Police were totally ill-prepared and inexperienced in dealing with the Serbian Thugs.  (Very good at giving out speeding tickets though).

What a line up for that game....

Leicester City (3-5-2): Flowers; Rowett, Elliott, Taggart; Impey, Savage, Lennon, Izzet, Guppy (Davidson, 78); Eadie (Cresswell, 57), Akinbiyi (Gunnlaugsson, 78).

Guest Markyblue
1 hour ago, mozartfox said:

What a line up for that game....

Leicester City (3-5-2): Flowers; Rowett, Elliott, Taggart; Impey, Savage, Lennon, Izzet, Guppy (Davidson, 78); Eadie (Cresswell, 57), Akinbiyi (Gunnlaugsson, 78).

Eadie played! Wow cant remember that, he was constantly injured. 

2 hours ago, Christoph said:

Wait are we in pot 3 then? Is it based on coefficient points then not place in the table? 

Not confirmed yet, but yes based on coefficient points.

I think the groups provided were if all the favourites qualify, still lots of football to be played before we’re close to settling whose in which pot.

We will be in pit 2 or 3, many teams above us who are far from certain of qualifying. 

3 hours ago, TrentFox said:

Couldn’t think where else I could put this.  But as we prepare for yet another season in the PL and a European adventure, the photo below of upcoming fixtures should not be overlooked. 

C34E3983-46F3-45BA-B4A5-07021957341E.jpeg

I actually went to Barrow once (that was enough) when we played them in the FA Cup in 68 think it was. 

Their ground made Filbert St look like the Bernabau but it was rammed and raucous. Seem to remember John Sjoberg scoring in a 2-1 win. Next round was the famous Cup replay with Man City - Frank Large and all that. 

Chief memories are of an horrendous rail journey up there with some Leicester fans getting arrested for smashing up the carriage they were in. 

I believe they're known as the 'good old days.'

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 03/09/2020 at 08:35, mozartfox said:

Belgrade really ??  Scariest ever experience I have ever had watching football Red Star V Leicester - UEFA Cup - in Vienna.  I recall the racism against our colored players was deplorable.

Though things were certainly a bit edgy in Vienna with several skirmishes around the city I feel things would have been 100 times worse if the game was played in Belgrade.

If like myself you were one of the lucky ones who by pure chance managed to avoid confrontation with the Serbs, Vienna was a brilliant place as a neutral venue City.

As for the racism,although this is no excuse, it was 20 years ago, from team from the Balkans, it was to be expected as a part of the times the Serbians lived in. TBH I don't think things have changed too much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

Calling them coloured isnt much better 🙄

This type of PC is stupid, as bad as Sainsbury calling an old lady a racist because she referred to one of their delivery men as “ a nice coloured gentleman”. I get rather sick of the continual change of what is and what isn’t acceptable. There was nothing disrespectful or demeaning in the phrases used. Can we get away with”Non Caucasian” or is that incorrect?

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

On 03/09/2020 at 08:56, Ric Flair said:

That's why it's not the dog shit competition its often made out to be. It's got some good potential and we can and will be embarrassed if we don't get our act together. Looking forward to it, it's win win for me. We're crap and I'll revel in it, we're good and I'll be proud of the lads.

What I dont like about the Europa is how CL teams drop into it when they knocked out of the CL, that contributes to its reputation as a reject competition.  I think its status would be helped if that didnt happen. 

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

Not sure why colour has to be mentioned at all.  Why not 'A nice gentlemen', and why not just say 'racist behaviour towards our players'?  Most of it isn't meant in any disrespectful way but race, colour simply doesn't need to be mentioned.

Anyway...

I think if it vital to the point someone is trying to make than it should. For example him mentioning the Red star Belgrade fans being racist to a specific players due to things like race it shows how backwards the mentality of their fans is (well at least back then I wouldn't know much about Serbian football these days). In a broader context I can understand this mentality that you seemingly preach but in this specific instance I think what he said made perfect sense.

Edited by Fightforever
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

It's not woke or pathetic to suggest that the word "coloured" is out of date. Come on.

That I can agree but the idea that we shouldn't mention the fact that their fan base were targeting specific players due to their race is something I will not concede on. If there is an elephant in the room address it.

Edited by Fightforever

10 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

That I can agree but the idea that we shouldn't mention the fact that their fan base were targeting specific players due to their race is something I will not concede on. If there is an elephant in the room address it.

I don't think anybody said don't mention what the Red Star fans did. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

Not sure why colour has to be mentioned at all.  Why not 'A nice gentlemen', and why not just say 'racist behaviour towards our players'?  Most of it isn't meant in any disrespectful way but race, colour simply doesn't need to be mentioned.

Anyway...

8 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

I don't think anybody said don't mention what the Red Star fans did. 

Wouldn't make sense red star fans being white being racist to our (at the time) majority white players for not being white. The idea of not mentioning race is stupid in this context.

Edited by Fightforever