Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcbluearmy

First favourite LCFC player/ first memory of watching lcfc

Guest bss9401

I'm smiling now because reading this makes me wonder how we managed to keep so many fans for so long. 

But of course I know precisely why when I sense the passion in the descriptions. 

My first memory was in the mid 70's in a 1-1 home draw against the sheep. Their players celebrated their goal right in front of me and I hated them immediately,  even as a 7 (ish) year old

First favourite player was Tommy Williams. I don't remember why.

First match was Leicester 1-1 Blackburn. Guess it must have been '96. I'm pretty sure I was sat in the North stand. I remember being pretty amazed at seeing so many people in one place. I waved my arm around like Kriss Akabusi when we scored.

Can't really remember my first favourite player. I had a Scott Taylor poster out of a programme on my bedroom door. I think I had an Ian Marshall one, as well.

Used to watch the reserves a lot and Heskey often featured. He really stood out. Claridge's shinner against Palace was a massive moment early on.

• Like 1

It was in the 75 or 76 season (i was 8) and the team we were playing against had a sash on their jersey.....so could have been Man city or Palace.?On the old main stand paddock!To be honest my dad still tells me i wasn't very interested in the game ,but just looked around every where.....i have this with my two lads now!

Edited by PAULCFC
  • Like 1

January 1989.

West brom away. We drew 1-1 Carl Muggelton made his debut.

We wore red:nono:

Memories of the day. Terracing :scarf: old bill about out numbering away supporters. Police copter up over the away end the whole game. Went for a piss at half time to look up and see the toilets had no roof and that's when I spotted the helicopter.

As a 10 year old it was all a little surreal. I'd never set foot in filbert st at that point so I guess that's why I have such vivid memories of it all.

Loads of games at filbert st after that. Sort of merge into one. The smell of bovril etc. 

As for my 1st hero. Original Tommy Wright.

It probably would have become Gary Mac but he didn't stay long enough really.

Special mention to Kevin Campbell tho. Brief but what a beast. 

5 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

January 1989.

West brom away. We drew 1-1 Carl Muggelton made his debut.

We wore red:nono:

Memories of the day. Terracing :scarf: old bill about out numbering away supporters. Police copter up over the away end the whole game. Went for a piss at half time to look up and see the toilets had no roof and that's when I spotted the helicopter.

As a 10 year old it was all a little surreal. I'd never set foot in filbert st at that point so I guess that's why I have such vivid memories of it all.

Loads of games at filbert st after that. Sort of merge into one. The smell of bovril etc. 

As for my 1st hero. Original Tommy Wright.

It probably would have become Gary Mac but he didn't stay long enough really.

Special mention to Kevin Campbell tho. Brief but what a beast. 

I was at that game - I was so invested in results that it felt like the end of the world when they smashed that equaliser in.

• Like 1

On 24/08/2020 at 22:51, KansasFox said:

first game I attended was v Notts County in the Zenith Data systems cup.  My Mum supported Man Utd, My Dad Notts county, my brother is a Forest fan (I know, how did I end up alright?!)... I didn't particularly follow any of them.  My Dad took me to watch Notts county and for certain reasons at the time, I think I'd have supported anyone contrary to my Dad's wishes!!  SO, I went to my first live game and picked the team that were against his team :D.  I've been a Leicester fan ever since

You dodged a bullet there mate lol

• Haha 1

I hate to say this, but I can't really remember the first time I saw City.  Apparently it was in 1985, but I have no idea who it was against, (except it was at home) - and I'll never remember until my Dad finally manages to find the damn programme he lost :P  I know it was in spring, but that's all...  (It's in a box, somewhere in his attic - he'll get around to looking for it *someday*...)  I also hate to admit that I can't really remember it much - most of my memories back then have all merged together and I saw far more live rugby than footy, so most of my memories are of watching Dean Richards and Rory Underwood etc..

My favourite players have always been the goalkeepers, starting with Flowers (though I only managed to get a shirt for when Keller was playing), but has now (obviously) been replaced with Schmeichel...

FFP was probably Tony Cottee. My gran loved him, she used to bang the tea tray for good luck and used to call him her 'Little Cottee'. Don't think I can remember watching him play though, just basing that off Gran's radio and Match Of The Day. :)

First proper memory as a fan is the last game at Filbert Street, and more specifically being super nervous that we'd blow our lead after Matt Piper's goal. 😅

Guest Markyblue

Favourite player Keith Weller with frankie wortho a close second,  more recent the entire team and subs from the premier league win, vardy i think will supersede all of them once he retires, he came he conquered he stayed,  a true blue legend. 

First time I saw leicester play was at Filbert Street, we lost i think 2-1 or 2-0 to Derby County. Shilton was in goal for derby, my normally very quiet and calm Grandad who took me was shouting at him to get off the field and get his bus pass 😅😅 91 or 92 I guess?

In other news, on my Facebook memories today, from 6 years ago, I wrote "Esteban Cambiasso is a fox! Pinch me! :D" .... so much has happened in 6 years!!!!

On 24/08/2020 at 22:20, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Remember seeing Berner for the first time at Swindon away, it was so obvious he was a cut above. Played centre mid for a laugh, probably never played there before but he ran the show.

Just had flashbacks to that game. Eventful night. 

If I remember rightly, 2-0 up then Simon Cox bagged two late late goals to draw 2-2? Think I was stood in the stand with no roof. Then seem to remember seeing a lot of trouble after the game just outside the ground after lcfc fans were kept in for quite a while.

Ian King. (Yes Ian).  Centre half in the late 50's early 60's.  Have vague memories of losing a match to Spurs (at WHL)

in the late 50's.  I lived in North London at the time, and all my mates were Spurs fans.

11 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

What a goal this was an early memory 

Fun fact 

Claridge was on the losing side for Cambridge in the semi final 5 years before his heroics

Leicester City v Cambridge United, 13 May 1992

H 5–0

Think my earliest memory was listening to the play off semi agains Cambridge on the radio, but otherwise definitely remember the play off final and running upstairs to cry when the penalty was given for Speedie’s ‘dive’. Didn’t even wait to see if they scored.

Edited by when_you're_smiling

First game was Losing to Spurs in the 61 FA Cup final with my Dad. What I remember was the big Crowd and Atmosphere.

Favorite game was against Liverpool when Weller scored a hat trick for us to win 3-2 What a Talent he was.

Favorite players Weller, Worthington, Mahrez,  All a joy to watch in full flight.

Favorite Goals Weller vs Wolves. Vardy v Liverpool But so many good and important ones.

22 hours ago, oxford blue said:

My favourite player would probably be Shilton (helped by the fact he is from Leicester), but Weller and Glover would come close- and in a few years I think there will be many going for Vardy.

Certainly not my first memory, but Claridge's injury time goal against Palace in 1996 must be my favourite. Enjoy again...

I will never in all my life for that Claridge goal, not because I was there mind...

We were on holiday in Sherringham and I had been by the swimming pool. I nipped away from watching the match for about a minute to grab my clothes and heard the Leicester fans going mad, in my scramble to get back and see what had happened I dropped all of my money in the pool lol.

• Haha 2