Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Blackburn Rovers pre-season match thread

Just now, Blue and white said:

To sort the issues out from last season

With the exception of Vardy and Barnes none of the players playing in this will be playing in those positions next week. Ndidi will be back in midfield. The entire midfield and defence will be different and the goal keeper and probably rw. You should just take the game for what it is, a fitness exercise. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Apart from him being caught well up field and giving away a simple pass for Bournemoutg's first goals?

He looked way out his depth against Bournemouth.

The difference is because he's a kid or new people let him off. Chilwell got that favourable overlooking of any mistakes when he came in for Fuchs too. But once he established himself he's now considered "fair game" for people. And people criticise him for things that aren't even as bad as the stuff they used to overlook.

It's always the way. Maguire got it in his first season too. Barnes got the "honeymoon period" of overlooking mistakes for a long while too but he won't get that anymore next season. Choudhury got it until last season with people screaming for him to be in the team too but that switched last season as well. Tielemans was getting poor performances waved away at the start of last season too but that had ended by the 2nd half of last season.

There's always a novelty to new players in the team that causes people to overlook their mistakes which they'd scathe established players for.

He didn't play against Bournemouth? He played vs Sheff Utd, Spurs and Man Utd and going forward was very impressive in all of them. Gave the ball away twice in Spurs half and we had no defence which was poor but that's as much as the players behind him as it was him. He's raw and a loan would probably benefit him but Chilwell made countless errors and was shit going forward so I don't think we are much weaker in the short term if we do play him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

I don’t remember any other pre season being this bad, must be able to count the attempts on goal on one hand over 3 games, still wheeling out the likes of Mendy, Albrighton and Gray who we should have improved on is just so deflating.

Gray has looked like one of our most promising players recently. Perhaps that speaks for itself? 

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He didn't play against Bournemouth? He played vs Sheff Utd, Spurs and Man Utd and going forward was very impressive in all of them. Gave the ball away twice in Spurs half and we had no defence which was poor but that's as much as the players behind him as it was him. He's raw and a loan would probably benefit him but Chilwell made countless errors and was shit going forward so I don't think we are much weaker in the short term if we do play him.

You're right. I was thinking of the Spurs goal. Trying to shift blame on the players  behind him is exactly my point, you'd never do that with Chilwell. You'd have slaughtered Chilwell for that exact same mistake.

Edited by Sampson

What has happened to Barnes? Really poor for the last few games. Is Grey still on the pitch? Both invisible. Thought Rogers was supposed to be this super coach who develops young players. Evidence is a number of our youngsters have not developed, but actually gone backwards. Getting really fearful for next season.

10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

That's how poorly I rated Chilwell, he was a disaster waiting to happen at the back and mediocre going forward. So far Thomas has shown his passing and crossing has technique and his defending has been poor like Chilwell. Thomas would benefit from a full season in the Championship but we likely need him around the first team squad competing in Europe, 2 domestic cups and the Prem.

I'm so glad someone else genuinely rates Chilwell as poorly as I do. 

I think given the fact we have four full-backs ahead of Thomas, his only chance of staying will be if Ricardo is out for longer than thought or if we go to 3 at the back. In a 3atb I'd prefer Fuchs as cover left CB rather than wing-back, which offers Thomas more chances as cover for Castagne.

• Like 1