Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

West Brom 0-3 Leicester - Post-Match Thread

I forgive the team 30 minutes of flat football after a pre-season that was mostly played by the U-23's.

If Gray isn't injured, i am guessing he will be moving on this window-- no other reason for him not to be in the squad after his performances after the Covid hiatus.

Barnes will get better, Mendy looked outstanding, and we kept a clean sheet with one centre-back (also, it bodes ill for Knight and Johnson that they didn't even make the bench.)

Given the realities of the mockery of a pre-season, the rash of injuries, the lack of signings, and whole Covid craziness - it was a great win!

• Thanks 1

Considering the last half of last season, that was genuinely massive.

The clean sheet was HUGE. Fair play to Ndidi, doing a job at CB even if WBA were a bit toothless. 

Professional second half, did the job. 

Huge morale-boosting win. Because we're are all so emotionally invested reactions are often polarized and will inevitably swing wildly. Although this result lifts the gloom and emphasizes the fact that we have a young, talented squad, the rest of the transfer window will be crucial in determining whether we can build on last season's 'success'. Our squad remains thin and being forced to continue to put square pegs into round holes is not sustainable. Two or three quality signings is what we will need in order to further consolidate by again challenging for a top six finish and having a real go at winning the Europa League. These should be our goals. The next four weeks will determine the direction this club is going in and Rodgers clearly knows it.

• Like 1

I think under normal circumstances we wouldn't bat an eyelid at a result or performance like that against a poor West Brom but after last seasons form and the general mood in the past few weeks it really could be a massive turning point. I hope Brendan and the players see it the same way

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

I think under normal circumstances we wouldn't bat an eyelid at a result or performance like that against a poor West Brom but after last seasons form and the general mood in the past few weeks it really could be a massive turning point. I hope Brendan and the players see it the same way

I agree. Certainly can't have done them any harm.

Happy with the result and the last 60 minutes.

A bit of a Jekyll and Hide performance so I’m not quite sure how confident I feel going forward.

For the first 30 minutes we just looked like the team we had seen since lockdown, and then they bursted into life and didn’t look back. 

West Brom looked poor. 

Two nights ago I dreamt that we won our opening game of the season 3-0. 

Buti it was against Berwick Rangers, and oddly enough Jamie Vardy told Rogers that he would only play if Michael Gove could play alongside him up front.  Rogers agreed and Gove looked quite useful.

After the game, we were immediately made on odds-on favourites to win the League again. 

Hmmm

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Fox1970 said:

Two nights ago I dreamt that we won our opening game of the season 3-0. 

Buti it was against Berwick Rangers, and oddly enough Jamie Vardy told Rogers that he would only play if Michael Gove could play alongside him up front.  Rogers agreed and Gove looked quite useful.

After the game, we were immediately made on odds-on favourites to win the League again. 

Hmmm

Looking forward to Gove making as big a tit of himself as he did as Minister for Education and in the  Tory leadership race

1 hour ago, Swalshed said:

"Hopefully it breeds a 'Don't panic' mentality"

Amongst the team, or here on FT? 🤣

You seem fairly new to FT. Welcome. Get used to the panicking posters on here. So many knee jerkers, their slippers must be flying all over the place.

• Haha 2

Thought Tielemans and Praet were absolutely superb today. They ran the show in midfield and had Mendy, who also had a great game, battling well in behind them. That's really encouraging to see as unless one of our top technical central midfield players (Tielemans, Maddison, Praet) step up, we tend to have a really stodgy performance. We were found wanting far too often in that department in the run in last season so to get started with a 3-0 win in a game where we dominated the midfield is fantastic. 

The pundits made a bit of a thing about Ndidi playing CB but I wasn't massively worried about that and I thought the defence in general snuffed out some decent attacking players and kept them quiet. Castagne tanking forwards was also spicy. Can't wait to have him and Ricardo flying into the final third. They huffed and puffed for 20mins and then we figured out their shape, got our foot on the ball and, frankly, battered them for the remaining 70mins. Sterner tests to come for sure, starting against Burnley next week, but a lively, energetic performance, lots of chances, 3 goals and a clean sheet is more than I expected after a disjointed preseason and some slow performances.

Oh and two goals from Hawthorns favourite Jamie Vardy to apply the salt as well. Naughty. Well in boys.

1 minute ago, Fightforever said:

Who out there would genuinely sign for us and would be affordable?

Honestly no idea buddy tbh, maybe Leon Bailey? Someone that would get us 15 goals and assists would be perfect.

I think we can spend 25m on a CB and then another 25-35m on a winger, that should put us at about 30m net spend after the Chilwell sale, plus hopefully we can get rid of Slimani, Silva and Ghezzal too to raise some more funds.

• Like 1