Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Mendy

3 minutes ago, Vindaloo FOX said:

We must not forget this little lad was captain at Nice and after staying strong during his bad injuries, now coming back from them we need to show this lad some respect.

At 28 he will be one of the senior players in this young squad we need players like Mendy more than ever now, mostly with European football this season.

Showing his quality the last two matches after hardly getting a sniff last season. Good luck trying to get the ball off him.

Nuts to think that we were going to let him go.

Just now, Grantham Fox said:

Played really well in the first two games, will lose his place to Ndidi but a great player to have in the squad, and proved he can deputise quite comfortably. Really glad he stayed with us.

Should he loose his place? I know Ndidi is the better overall cdm but Mendy should not just be displaced. He is on fire and so are we. 

20 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Yeah I am not convinced with Chodray as holding. I see him more as box to box.

Agree. Looks more like a Jordan Henderson/James Milner type. Its a different game for him now in order to prove himself at that type of position/style of midfielder. He has to do it in training(which we don't get to see) and most likely cup matches. Seems like Hamza is a Rodgers project now and that will take time to work itself out. Hopefully ready for a loan in the second half.

8 minutes ago, casablancas said:

Should he loose his place? I know Ndidi is the better overall cdm but Mendy should not just be displaced. He is on fire and so are we. 

Ahhh.. The problems of winning and the players doing well. Good problems to have.

3 minutes ago, casablancas said:

Burnley lump the ball forward and bypass the midfield most of the time, and they had a Brownhill starting.

last week Mendy was up against the likes of Livermore and sawyers 

its easier to look composed against Championship level midfielders.

I think people are going a tad ott comparing performances to Kante.

If he can do it against the better teams great he deserves the praise.

There is a reason he was hardly utilised last year.

its the same as what happened with Hamza last year a couple of good performances “He should be replacing Wilf” 

A good asset to have on the Bench and as for cover.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Burnley lump the ball forward and bypass the midfield most of the time, and they had a Brownhill starting.

its the same as what happened with Hamza last year a couple of good performances “He should be replacing Wilf” 

he did play well but...

1 minute ago, HankMarvin said:

Hamza is nowhere near Mendy’s standard let alone Ndidi. I think you missed my point. On form is it fair to drop Mendy. He has been very impressive and tbh we have lost to teams like this before and recently. Kinda makes your point moot. No one has said he’s a Kante in disguise but I think people are waking up to the fact that he is very disciplined and his positioning appears excellent. He also has his head up looking for the right pass and he seems to Magog his way out of very tight corners. 

• Like 1

Mendy was superb against West Brom but I thought he was only ok yesterday. Gave the ball away a few times uncharacteristically in semi-dangerous areas. We’re a far better team with Ndidi in the middle.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stadt said:

We’re a far better team with Ndidi in the middle.

We are defensively but one thing Mendy has is he's more comfortable in possession, which will be key for Rodgers. I've never thought Ndidi is what Rodgers wants in that position, he doesn't receive the ball or distribute it well from the back. We've looked good going forwards and having a player there who can move the ball quicker has helped I think. I'm not convinced with Mendy though, and by the end of the month I think some of you have changed your minds as his weaknesses will be exposed soon enough 🤔

8 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

he did play well but...

I guess it depends what you want or need from a DM.

Just now, Mark said:

We are defensively but one thing Mendy has is he's more comfortable in possession, which will be key for Rodgers. I've never thought Ndidi is what Rodgers wants in that position, he doesn't receive the ball well from the back and distribute it. We've looked good going forwards and having a player there who can move the ball quicker has helped I think. I'm not convinced though, and by the end of the month I think some of you have changed your minds as the weaknesses will be exposed soon enough 🤔

Yeah maybe that could be a tactic against the weaker teams not sure Wilf would be happy being benched though and Evans is a much safer option at the back.

Mendy role wasn’t that of DM

He played like a deep lying CM that recycled the ball.

No interceptions.

No tackles.

you might get away with it against Burnley  (Nearly had 3 goals) and WBA but you won’t against better teams.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Grantham Fox said:

Played really well in the first two games, will lose his place to Ndidi but a great player to have in the squad, and proved he can deputise quite comfortably. Really glad he stayed with us.

He’s so much better on the ball than Wilf. But Wilf is better than him at everything else. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

I guess it depends what you want or need from a DM.

Yeah maybe that could be a tactic against the weaker teams not sure Wilf would be happy being benched though and Evans is a much safer option at the back.

Mendy role wasn’t that of DM

He played like a deep lying CM that recycled the ball.

No interceptions.

No tackles.

you might get away with it against Burnley  (Nearly had 3 goals) and WBA but you won’t against better teams.

We had 65% possession against West Brom, and 68% possession against Burnley. So it's not surprising that Mendy didn't have to make many interceptions or tackles.

He's good at recycling the ball and sitting in as a fulcrum when we have possession, his weakness as a defensive midfielder is when we're under pressure and teams are trying to pick us apart. Blocking shots outside the box under Puel was shown up to be a particular weakness in Mendy. Against teams who sit in he's great.

A great character to have around, battled through injury and the various manager upheavals of recent seasons. Gets along with the Belgians nicely too. As someone who thought we could've improved on him this summer I'll admit to now being happy he's stayed, just utilise him properly.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

We had 65% possession against West Brom, and 68% possession against Burnley. So it's not surprising that Mendy didn't have to make many interceptions or tackles.

Oh right that didn’t stop Ndidi all last season did it, He was topping the PL stats at Xmas when we were dominating teams 

Just to add when Leicester played 

Southampton over 70% possession 

Ndidi 6 tackles one interception. 

Newcastle 69%

D9344A75-D921-45BD-97BA-62515322CF9B.thumb.jpeg.e24aa2a1e78f3ed1dad9e74e9a0dc877.jpeg

Edited by HankMarvin

Guest Danny Clender
46 minutes ago, casablancas said:

Oh most definitely. How do we fit Ndidi, Mendy, Madderson and Praet in? Lol. Can we just play with 13. 

Dunno, but I reckon Claude Puel would have an option. 

50 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I’d be considering Wilf and Mendy in the middle for Man City anyway - and wouldn’t be at all surprised to see one of Brendan’s famous batshit ideas of sticking someone like Praet on the right wing 

Vardy LWB for the counter attack. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I’d be considering Wilf and Mendy in the middle for Man City anyway - and wouldn’t be at all surprised to see one of Brendan’s famous batshit ideas of sticking someone like Praet on the right wing 

To be fair I think he could probably do a job there, maybe at wing back as well. He's got an excellent engine, a reasonable turn of pace, is a good passer and likes an overlapping run as we saw for Justin's goal. Obviously wouldn't be my first choice there but it wouldn't be the most absurd pick I've ever seen.

• Sad 2