Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Mendy

45 minutes ago, ThingsCouldGetMessi said:

So we should have released him and spent money on someone else to sit on the bench for most league games? 

It's nothing to do with ambitions. There are just bigger issues that do need spending money on. 

Was being sarcastic, many users on here were saying that pretty much verbatim.

Always been a fan and unlucky to be an understudy to the excellent Ndidi as would play for many other Prem teams.

I remeber him returning after his failed spell on loan in France through injury and he looked gutted to be back at the training ground. Now playing with a smile again and he more than deserves his chance. Good solid squad player

• Like 4

I think he’s actually developed his game a bit…. Happy to drive forward with the ball and was way more positive with his progressive passing 

Really liked him today…. But, he’s been excellent on many occasions before today…!

• Like 3

That was a typical Papy Mendy performance. Maintained possession well, kept it simple and effective, and grafted for the team. He's Defensive Midfield 101. Does the basics to a very high standard pretty much every time. Put it this way, if we only needed to call on Mendy a handful of times over the season and he plays like that, then he earns his spot in the squad. 

• Like 2

I think the praise for Mendy is a bit OTT. When I watch Mendy I see a player who's first thought is to pass it back or sideways to the player nearest him. Hardly a crucial element to the team, doing a job Matty James or King did all the time also.

People say, "he didn't put a foot wrong today", or "he keeps things ticking over nicely and keeps it simple". Its not hard to 'not put a foot wrong all game' if you only pass sideways and backwards.

I may be in the minority but I want a cm who has more to his game than being a steady and safe player. Take creativity like Maddison or Tielemans out and we have a serious problem. Take out Mendy and literally any player who can complete a short sideways pass could take his place. I honestly would rather have kept King and let Mendy go, King has history and an affinity with the club, Mendy would be proud of his short sideways passing, but he also scores important goals.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, WhatTheSchlupp? said:

I think the praise for Mendy is a bit OTT. When I watch Mendy I see a player who's first thought is to pass it back or sideways to the player nearest him. Hardly a crucial element to the team, doing a job Matty James or King did all the time also.

People say, "he didn't put a foot wrong today", or "he keeps things ticking over nicely and keeps it simple". Its not hard to 'not put a foot wrong all game' if you only pass sideways and backwards.

I may be in the minority but I want a cm who has more to his game than being a steady and safe player. Take creativity like Maddison or Tielemans out and we have a serious problem. Take out Mendy and literally any player who can complete a short sideways pass could take his place. I honestly would rather have kept King and let Mendy go, King has history and an affinity with the club, Mendy would be proud of his short sideways passing, but he also scores important goals.

well hes a dm for starters so your talking utter rubbish

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, WhatTheSchlupp? said:

Go and rewatch the match….

Considering he was CDM, he was exceptionally progressive…. I saw a player driving with the ball and and continually looking to play the ball forward…

We sometimes see the FoxesTalk characterisation of a player as opposed to what actually happens on a pitch…

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Utter crap.

So he doesn't primarily pass sideways or backwards? He clearly does if you've ever watched him.

What part of what I said isn't true?

Up there with Harry Winks for me in terms of pointless players, harsh as it sounds. I mean they are both masters of their trade don't get me wrong, just takes a little more than the ability to pass it short for me to rave about a player.

3 minutes ago, WhatTheSchlupp? said:

So he doesn't primarily pass sideways or backwards? He clearly does if you've ever watched him.

Up there with Harry Winks for me in terms of pointless players, harsh as it sounds. I mean they are both masters of their trade don't get me wrong, just takes a little more than the ability to pass it short for me to rave about a player.

the whole team do thats how we setup to play?

Edited by whoareyaaa

6 minutes ago, WhatTheSchlupp? said:

I think you'll find that every DM primarily passes sideways or backwards. It's the nature of the position, where the majority of the time you are receiving the ball off the back four with oppsition players pressing you. However, he looks to go forward when afforded the time and space. There was another Mendy thread where I posted stats that showed Mendy is more forward thinking than Wilf or Hamza, but I can't be arsed to find them right now.

55 minutes ago, WhatTheSchlupp? said:

Either your trying to provoke or you don't understand football.

• Like 1

Just now, leicesterseddon said:

I was pleasantly surprised.

I do agree he was more progressive than we usually expect from him, although let’s be honest that’s not hard.

Got to bear in mind the opposition though.

He can be a useful squad player but for me he shouldn’t be getting near the first team when everyone is fit again...

We've got a lot of games in a truncated season. we're going to need the whole squad to contribute on a regular basis.