Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Mendy

I'll be first to admit I've been hard on him in recent threads. But credit where it is due, that was a positive performance.

He has improved his off the ball contribution, seems less lightweight and more confident on the ball. Hope that continues!!

16 minutes ago, Crashtoasted said:

I was worried when he got booked early doors and we were looking shite, but he won a lot of us over today I’m sure. The Europa group stages are where he’s going to earn his money this season. Never going to win a game but based on today’s performance he’ll deal with pressure for fun. 

Only player we had booked was Justin I believe.

For me it is his fitness that is in doubt rather than ability. If he stays fit, he’s steady and a decent back up for wilf. Sometimes I think he is better with the ball than wilf.

5 minutes ago, teblin said:

Only player we had booked was Justin I believe.

For me it is his fitness that is in doubt rather than ability. If he stays fit, he’s steady and a decent back up for wilf. Sometimes I think he is better with the ball than wilf.

Ah my bad, my app said he’d been booked in the first half but i didn’t actually see any card come out. I agree though, should he stay fit he’ll be a great addition to the side and as you said he does keep the ball moving.

21 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

I think it was a typical Mendy performance, sometimes that is enough to be decent and other times he looks poor. I think it depends on the opposition. He does a decent job in certain games, always available and when he doesnt get caught he is able to move things over nicely. 

Respectfully disagree. 

He was his usual tidy self but yesterday he seemed so much more dynamic, powerful and influential.

It's no exaggeration to say he bossed the midfield yesterday. It seemed like every time he got involved we were on a dangerous attack seconds later.

Reminiscent of Kante 15/16. He was that good.

Unfortunately I think when he retires and looks back over his career, yesterday will go down as one of his best performances. It's not his usual, and he is not the messiah (Kante).

Fact remains he is and always was a good player. You don't have to play at Kante levels every week for that to be true. If he can play anywhere near yesterday's level this season he should stay very close to the starting 11.

Woop woop, that's the sound of Nampalys.

Honestly it wasn't that long ago I'd totally forgotten he was still on our books. He's been like a new signing this past couple of games. 

Considering it was no secret that he was pretty much unwanted and on the way out towards the end of last season, shows great character to step back in and perform so admirably.

33 minutes ago, Christoph said:

Surely his form puts Choudary right down the pecking order now? Can't see Choudary starting over him based on his last two games. 

Yeah, I prefer to have him in holding midfield over Hamza. Still not convinced with Choudary.

31 minutes ago, Christoph said:

Surely his form puts Choudary right down the pecking order now? Can't see Choudary starting over him based on his last two games. 

That would be fine given Hamza is shite at the holding role. Given the form of Praet and the return to 4-3-3 I'm really struggling to see an obvious role in the team for Hamza once Evans is back and Ndidi goes back into midfield.

He's a valuable player to have as a 7th midfielder for three positions, and he's home grown for the EL squad, but he's hardly going to play this season as it stands. Maybe a loan for half a season would be good for him after all.

32 minutes ago, Christoph said:

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

Yeah, I prefer to have him in holding midfield over Hamza. Still not convinced with Choudary.

From what Rodgers has said in the past, I don’t think he sees Hamza as a CDM and so wouldn’t be competing with Mendy. Think Hamza should be more concerned with the way Praet has started the season...as should Maddison if we’re being totally honest

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, adam95581 said:

From what Rodgers has said in the past, I don’t think he sees Hamza as a CDM and so wouldn’t be competing with Mendy. Think Hamza should be more concerned with the way Praet has started the season...as should Maddison if we’re being totally honest

Yeah I am not convinced with Chodray as holding. I see him more as box to box.

• Like 1

We must not forget this little lad was captain at Nice and after staying strong during his bad injuries, now coming back from them we need to show this lad some respect.

At 28 he will be one of the senior players in this young squad we need players like Mendy more than ever now, mostly with European football this season.

Edited by Vindaloo FOX

Im dumbfounded. Mendy to me was a bang average player and I thought he was given a new contract partly to give the team numbers over the next year or 2 with players leaving.

The difference for me now is his passing. He couldn't pass with his back to goal before and he couldn't be dynamic in his passing forward either. 

Looks like I overestimated him.

• Like 1