Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
420Hashish

Leicester City vs Burnley - Pre Match Thread

54 minutes ago, shailen said:

Need Madders and Tielemans to create, Castagne and Justin to provide the width as they will sit deep and not give us any space so we will need to break them down. West Brom sat back last week but they defended terribly and Burnley won't be as bad. Always worry going into these types of games. 

my god, you are worrying about Burnley?

Is it just something to post?

We are going to smash em, you should be worrying about whether we win by 2 or 4

• Like 1

9 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

At the start of this video, Brendan says he is interested in bringing in more attacking playerS to the club. That's intriguing because most of us think after Under and Fofana / Tah / Takowski we will be done for the window, but that suggests we might possibly sneak in someone else.

It should also put a lot of fans fears to rest when he says things like:

We need a different type of attacking player. Having watched him, he’s clearly a talented player. We have pace and power at the top end, but we also need some more football in there. Ways to deal with organised defences. We need someone who can beat someone in a one-v-one, play the right pass, we need someone who can break down defences who are organised, when it’s tight. That’s the profile we’re looking at.

We all hate "side-to-side" football that we've seen since Puel took over, but the manager doesn't want us to play that way. The problem is we only ever have two or three players on the pitch at any one time who have the guile to break down an organised defence; two of Maddison / TIelemans / Praet and Ricardo. With more attack minded players we will get better at breaking teams down. For me one thing that always excites me about having Brendan as manager is that he's proven at several teams that he can fix their attack over time and if anything it's been the defence where he's struggled. But we already have Kasper, Soyuncu, Ricardo, Evans and Ndidi. We've already got a really solid base to build upon! Back Rodgers with the right players and he will have us sizzling up top - we've already seen plenty of evidence based on last season's best displays.

Hopefully Under is the real deal, and who knows, maybe we will cheekily bring in someone else in on transfer deadline day too. Stranger things have happened.

I would be pleasantly surprised if we managed to get another attacking player on top of potentially signing Under and Fofana. Imagine it would be a younger player, someone in the mould of Joelson Fernandes, that can potentially replace Gray's supersub role. Wolves seem to be adept at buying young talents like that - Vitinha, Neto, F. Silva, Vinagre. 

• Like 1

On 14/09/2020 at 15:26, HighPeakFox said:

First of all, I really didn't know where to post this, and I didn't want to start a new thread either, so apologies if you consider it misplaced.

The whole business of 'momentum' is an interesting one, because really it only actually exists in the mind as a concept. Now please don't get me wrong, I need no persuading of the importance of the mind, or of thinking positively, but there is an interesting debate to be had about the collective conscious/unconscious state - one can make the argument that one can do a lot of social engineering by manipulating/influencing the mind, and I expect some would be deeply insulted by the mere suggestion that anything they think is anything other than from their own mind.

Sadly, I've seen it at close quarters in a work environment before - people can do dreadful  damage psychologically. However, momentum is essentially (to my understanding) a physical phenomenon, whereas the slump last season might have been more about negative thought patterns/malign influences. Some might ask 'well aren't they the same thing?' and I am not here to argue the point or fall out about it - but I would differentiate the two, personally. I'm not a fan of the word being bandied about, because it just becomes a simple buzz-word people use to explain away complex situations. And in the end words then become meaningless, because the original meaning gets lost... but I am now guilty of digression. Perhaps this at least explains why I can be a pedant about language at times, and I never mean offence by it. I would also be at pains to explain that I'm not calling anyone 'simple' either - I am empathetic that people want to find simple answers, but sometimes, they don't suffice.

Therefore, I was/am less concerned about the loss of momentum from December onwards, and more about genuine loss of form. A few decent results/performances soon blow the mental cobwebs away, and I am very pleased with yesterday, regardless of the opponent. What started off as a disjointed, worrying performance soon became a ruthless and exciting win - that has to do a lot of good. And of course I'm now about to enter 'must win' territory - but following up yesterday with another decent win would further bolster the mental coffers and help reinforce the many positive neural pathways that were created before Christmas, before everything caught up with us.

Have a good day/week everyone. I won't respond a lot because I have a daily restriction currently...

Very interesting debate, which I am more than happy to continue elsewhere. 

Very valid points, however, I believe you are doing what I often get caught up with and "simply" overthinking it. 

As a long term "sufferer" of depression myself, I have put a lot of time and effort into attempting to better understand the mind and therefore myself, and simplifying things is a very effective way to make sense of this mad world. 

I see it as - stereotypes come about for a reason, (not the heavy negative racial ones obviously) and "you are only as good as your last game" etc etc are massively true. 

The paradox for me is that you have touched on yourself, imo, where trying to avoid over simplification on the one hand, people wilfully over simplify by ignoring context.

For me, everything is about context and the mental is the reason for the physical. 

Ie confidence players, strikers hitting a purple patch, the mental side for me is the reason for the physical side. 

My personal interest comes from my oen personal journey during lock down where I took the opportunity to better understand myself, and have now taken up "positive affirmations" (just Google it on YouTube) and meditation (specifically on attracting abundance) and these are prime examples of positive self conditioning, which is of course different to the negative group conditioning that you have alluded to but nevertheless, prove to me that they are real and heavily affect/become the reason for the physical effects. 

Which brings me to my "wrap up my own random rambling into a hopefully coherent explanation" 😂

I genuinely believe that sometimes the simple really can be the full explanation, when coupled with the complexities of the mind. We were going great guns, then hit Liverpool and man City in the space of a few days, where we were comprehensively dismantled by the better side. Forget tactical please. On our day we can beat anyone, but some of those require an off day. Those 2 really can beat anyone on their day. If we are both in it, their quality will win out, and to me that is exactly what happened. 

One can be accepted, but 2 begins to look like a patternto the simple side of the human mind, seeding doubt of everything good that went before. 

And for me, that was entirely circumstantial, unlucky, outside of our control, and although the facts show we are still a good team, it didn't feel like it and so we weren't. 

Thankfully we appear to have fixed it, or at least taken the first step on the road to "momentum" 

That was painful for an early morning 😱

Mods - may I request separating this to its own thread. "momentum - a philosophical/psychological debate?" possibly l, so people know what they are getting themselves into 🤣 (I am more than happy to continue this in private but would welcome other people's views)

• Like 3

@HighPeakFox, another angle I missed, are you familiar with the theory behind crowd/ mob mentality.

I worked in the event security field (accounts department though 🤣) in the same office as the training/consultancy and their is a lot of proven research showing how crowds behave very differently to individuals

Edited by gw_leics772
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I would be pleasantly surprised if we managed to get another attacking player on top of potentially signing Under and Fofana. Imagine it would be a younger player, someone in the mould of Joelson Fernandes, that can potentially replace Gray's supersub role. Wolves seem to be adept at buying young talents like that - Vitinha, Neto, F. Silva, Vinagre. 

Wolves or Jorge Mendes 🤔?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jobyfox said:

I don’t think Ashley is playing. 

Hang on ..... Harvey..... 2 goals? 😀

Yep "Our Harvey" he is electric atm and always in the right place at the right time, he will bag 2 I'm sure he's about to turn the corner in scoring terms an it will be Sunday night.

1 messy one followed by a highlights reel 👊💙

On 14/09/2020 at 17:17, Jevans said:

Can only play with what you have. I’m not saying Morgan is the option going forward this season but Burnley of all teams would suit him. It is an area we need to add depth but Morgan could provide the short term fix for this game if fit. 

👍 Excellent response. I like my analogy, sometimes a shit smeared, rusty pole is better for a round hole, than a gold glimmering diamond encrusted rectangular block. It just fits better for the specific circumstances. 

I with @Jevans

• Like 1

On 14/09/2020 at 17:23, OntarioFox said:

Stick with Mendy for this. The lad needs minutes, and I think he deserves the spot based on his showing against WBA. Arguably MOTM.

We all know Wilf will be able to slot back in at DMF whenever needed, but I'd happily take the gamble on not needing him there until Man City - and as highly-rated as Fofana is, if we did sign him I'm not sure I'd want to throw him straight into having to deal with the physicality of the Clarets' forward line in the air. Premier League baptism of fire if ever there was one. Castagne was a special case - played in the international break, with two of his new team-mates no-less, so he was always likely to hit the ground running.

Tasking a 19-year old with 17 senior games under his belt with keeping the likes of Chris Wood quiet, with practically no time to gel with his team-mates (and probably a language barrier)? Different kettle of fish, and I'd really worry for his perception amongst our fanbase going forward if it resulted in a poor loss. That's all conjecture of course - we don't know for sure he's coming here yet, especially given what a mardy-arse Puel's being about us potentially poaching him. :whistle:

Wouldn't be surprised to see the same line-up. Maybe Albrighton in for Perez at a push.

I'm with you on this but mainly the part about potentially not dropping Mendy automatically, for the greater good going forwards, in solidifying mendys place (as able back up only) 

I think this game would be one we could risk it, but it is largely down to personal preference. 

I feel strongly that Maddison should not automatically take Praets place when he is fully fit. 

I'd also persevere with perez over Albrighton, especially now it is clear that neither are the future with under coming in. 

This one's for you @HighPeakFox, because MOMENTUM 😂is more important than people think imo. 

Edited by gw_leics772
  • Like 1

On 14/09/2020 at 18:04, OhYesNdidi said:

As a Burnley striker it must give you a huge boost knowing Morgan is playing. We will have to move the ball quickly and we will be camped in their half, with all that room in behind i would be very uncomfortable seeing Wes plays considering every time he has to run at any intensity it seems he pulls a muscle. 

Harsh! It might give a striker in the coutinho/juninho mould, but Morgan has kep prime lukaku and Rooney in his back pocket, and it has never been his speed that did that. Horses for courses. 

I have no qualms playing Morgan for this one over Ndidi. 

6 hours ago, gw_leics772 said:

Harsh! It might give a striker in the coutinho/juninho mould, but Morgan has kep prime lukaku and Rooney in his back pocket, and it has never been his speed that did that. Horses for courses. 

I have no qualms playing Morgan for this one over Ndidi. 

The only memory I have of Morgan vs Lukaku is when Lukaku put Morgan on his arse when Everton beat us 2-0 in that dreadful premier league season that was 16/17...& when had Wes ever played against prime Wayne Rooney? 

Edited by OhYesNdidi
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Can’t you just think stuff rather than post it ..... many of us don’t want to read things like this ..... we believe in karma ....

im all for positive thoughts but don’t diss the opposition so openly ..... if we don’t win tomorrow then we’ll all come looking for you with our pitchforks and effigys!

That would make a change.

Most of us post stuff and don't think it.

Edited by murphy
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OhYesNdidi said:

The only memory I have of Morgan vs Lukaku is when Lukaku put Morgan on his arse when Everton beat us 2-0 in that dreadful premier league season that was 16/17...& when had Wes ever played against prime Wayne Rooney? 

He has definitely had lukaku in his pocket far more than vice verse, that sticks in my memory. Re Rooney. **** knows 🤣

20 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

No thanks, stick with what we did vs West Brom. Morgan shouldn't ever be starting a PL game again.

Wes is like that tin of beans that's been hiding in the back of the cupboard that has passed its use by date by so long you can tell by the faded and old style label livery. 

You cautiously open it fearing the worst but are rewarded by some perfect old school beans, way before they started messing with the salt and sugar levels. 

• Haha 2