Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
420Hashish

Leicester City vs Burnley - Pre Match Thread

3 hours ago, les-tah said:

Not for me. Hamza doesn’t have the positional awareness and brains to play as a DM in that anchor position.

His aggression and tackling makes it seem like he is a defensive midfielder but he is more of a box to box.

I don't think burnley will be trying to pass the ball through us though, they're more of an aerial physical threat which is why I think hamza may be better suited 

4 hours ago, les-tah said:

Morgan is not the answer anymore. We are moving on he’s not mobile enough on the break anymore and that what teams like Burnley will be doing to us as we will be the pressing team with a high line.

Can only play with what you have. I’m not saying Morgan is the option going forward this season but Burnley of all teams would suit him. It is an area we need to add depth but Morgan could provide the short term fix for this game if fit. 

• Like 3

Stick with Mendy for this. The lad needs minutes, and I think he deserves the spot based on his showing against WBA. Arguably MOTM.

We all know Wilf will be able to slot back in at DMF whenever needed, but I'd happily take the gamble on not needing him there until Man City - and as highly-rated as Fofana is, if we did sign him I'm not sure I'd want to throw him straight into having to deal with the physicality of the Clarets' forward line in the air. Premier League baptism of fire if ever there was one. Castagne was a special case - played in the international break, with two of his new team-mates no-less, so he was always likely to hit the ground running.

Tasking a 19-year old with 17 senior games under his belt with keeping the likes of Chris Wood quiet, with practically no time to gel with his team-mates (and probably a language barrier)? Different kettle of fish, and I'd really worry for his perception amongst our fanbase going forward if it resulted in a poor loss. That's all conjecture of course - we don't know for sure he's coming here yet, especially given what a mardy-arse Puel's being about us potentially poaching him. :whistle:

Wouldn't be surprised to see the same line-up. Maybe Albrighton in for Perez at a push.

• Like 2

If fit, it wouldn't surprise me if Morgan starts this one, just to counter their aerial threat. He wouldn't be exposed to speed and it would allow Ndidi to play in his best position. A tad harsh on Mendy, but you need to select a team for the occasion.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

If fit, it wouldn't surprise me if Morgan starts this one, just to counter their aerial threat. He wouldn't be exposed to speed and it would allow Ndidi to play in his best position. A tad harsh on Mendy, but you need to select a team for the occasion.

As a Burnley striker it must give you a huge boost knowing Morgan is playing. We will have to move the ball quickly and we will be camped in their half, with all that room in behind i would be very uncomfortable seeing Wes plays considering every time he has to run at any intensity it seems he pulls a muscle. 

There is absolutely no chance we can leave Praet out.

He was the reason we won yesterday by his energy and box to box fitness. We as a team always seem to smash teams when we score first but the game at 0-0 is always so hard for us. Praets quality running and moving there defence about and ultimately a quality cross won us the game.

We need that vs Burnley. We won’t win much by long balls and hopeful punts to Vards.

Kasper

Castagne Ndidi Soyuncu Justin

Hamza

Tielemens Praet
Gray  Vardy Barnes

• Like 4

I am just going to sit back und enjoy these first few Games into the season

..no assumptions on neither tactics nor selection.. 

Ambition Thoughts & hope,but no expectations....

We have a Good squad, how they developed & grow,we will have an idea end of October...

Plus We will See if we have adequate cover, that goes deep into the season,for rotation,form & injuries..knowing we will be competing in

3 or 4 competitions come end of the year....

September this  year,is a free hit....No desperate ,or stressfull thoughts...!!!

We have a competitive squad...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

I am just going to sit back und enjoy these first few Games into the season

..no assumptions on neither tactics nor selection.. 

Ambition Thoughts & hope,but no expectations....

We have a Good squad, how they developed & grow,we will have an idea end of October...

Plus We will See if we have adequate cover, that goes deep into the season,for rotation,form & injuries..knowing we will be competing in

3 or 4 competitions come end of the year....

September this  year,is a free hit....No desperate ,or stressfull thoughts...!!!

We have a competitive squad...

Praet will be brilliant for us if he got a run of games it’s just unfortunate it seems like it’s him or maddison.

id love to find a spot for the both possibly maddison in a free role in one of the front free but not sure whether it would work.

30 minutes ago, les-tah said:

Praet will be brilliant for us if he got a run of games it’s just unfortunate it seems like it’s him or maddison.

id love to find a spot for the both possibly maddison in a free role in one of the front free but not sure whether it would work.

Many Teams evolve accidently and on the needs of the moment....I

Some Posters in here are blind to our FBs having run Outs as WBs.....but it happens all around the world of football...

Some turn out without DMs,but Great water carriers,with strong lungs.....

4 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

There is absolutely no chance we can leave Praet out.

He was the reason we won yesterday by his energy and box to box fitness. We as a team always seem to smash teams when we score first but the game at 0-0 is always so hard for us. Praets quality running and moving there defence about and ultimately a quality cross won us the game.

We need that vs Burnley. We won’t win much by long balls and hopeful punts to Vards.

Kasper

Castagne Ndidi Soyuncu Justin

Hamza

Tielemens Praet
Gray  Vardy Barnes

Mendy not Hamza surely based on Baggies show. Madders on the bench until 60mins as before to ease him back in. Agree Gray needs a run out as a final check he hasn't suddenly got good and cured his bad habits, before we buy a new RW.

12 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Welcome to FoxesTalk @Fozdog. This sort of optimism is quite dangerous here. We prefer to be ****ing miserable.

Ha ha ha. Thanks for the heads up. I’m unfortunately an Essendon fan in the AFL. They are pretty much the Foxes version in our league so I’m well schooled in lack of optimism. 

14 minutes ago, FoxFossil said:

Mendy not Hamza surely based on Baggies show. Madders on the bench until 60mins as before to ease him back in. Agree Gray needs a run out as a final check he hasn't suddenly got good and cured his bad habits, before we buy a new RW.

Hamza doesn’t read the game well enough to be in that DM role sitting in front of back 4..He’s more of an engine box to box midfielder. People think because Hamza is on his arse a lot doing sliding tackles it means he’s a great DM. There is far more to the game than that. That why BR gave Mendy the nod over hamza.

Edited by les-tah
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

First of all, I really didn't know where to post this, and I didn't want to start a new thread either, so apologies if you consider it misplaced.

The whole business of 'momentum' is an interesting one, because really it only actually exists in the mind as a concept. Now please don't get me wrong, I need no persuading of the importance of the mind, or of thinking positively, but there is an interesting debate to be had about the collective conscious/unconscious state - one can make the argument that one can do a lot of social engineering by manipulating/influencing the mind, and I expect some would be deeply insulted by the mere suggestion that anything they think is anything other than from their own mind.

Sadly, I've seen it at close quarters in a work environment before - people can do dreadful  damage psychologically. However, momentum is essentially (to my understanding) a physical phenomenon, whereas the slump last season might have been more about negative thought patterns/malign influences. Some might ask 'well aren't they the same thing?' and I am not here to argue the point or fall out about it - but I would differentiate the two, personally. I'm not a fan of the word being bandied about, because it just becomes a simple buzz-word people use to explain away complex situations. And in the end words then become meaningless, because the original meaning gets lost... but I am now guilty of digression. Perhaps this at least explains why I can be a pedant about language at times, and I never mean offence by it. I would also be at pains to explain that I'm not calling anyone 'simple' either - I am empathetic that people want to find simple answers, but sometimes, they don't suffice.

Therefore, I was/am less concerned about the loss of momentum from December onwards, and more about genuine loss of form. A few decent results/performances soon blow the mental cobwebs away, and I am very pleased with yesterday, regardless of the opponent. What started off as a disjointed, worrying performance soon became a ruthless and exciting win - that has to do a lot of good. And of course I'm now about to enter 'must win' territory - but following up yesterday with another decent win would further bolster the mental coffers and help reinforce the many positive neural pathways that were created before Christmas, before everything caught up with us.

Have a good day/week everyone. I won't respond a lot because I have a daily restriction currently...

I don't think the term 'momentum', applied in a sporting sense, seeks to explain what causes patterns of results, more the characteristic of a snowballing effect.  Much like physical momentum, the more it gathers, the more difficult it is to stop. 

What 'it' is, as you say, is likely a complex set of factors.  My best guess is that it is a kind of collective belief that grows with positive results and can become a bit like a general malaise or shroud after a string of bad ones, sometimes to the point that it supersedes ability.  I think it  is different to form which I would say is a more individual thing and more difficult to understand.  

For me, the great escape was the best example of sporting momentum that I can think of.  After months of poor results, scraping a win, following it up with another and suddenly the players' heads are up, there's a spring in the step, another yard of pace and we go into each game with belief.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

Let’s see. Not sure everyone will be quite so bullish after this. Burnley a much different prospect to WBA.  Hopefully we will click and take the points. Just don’t think it will be quite so easy and they’re never giving us two soft penalties. 

I'd love to see Dyche's face if that happened.

• Haha 1