Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
deanolegend1989

Potential of this Leicester City team.

This team is better than 15/16. It's not even close.

In 15/16 the league was very weak, that's something we can't forget. This time round Liverpool are in the top 2 teams in Europe with currently only Bayern being better than them. We also have many more games this season and at any point in time we could get a Corona outbreak in the squad meaning many players miss games. We are already the walking wounded!

But to answer the question, this team has the potential to win a trophy. Europa League or FA Cup is definitely possible, and / or a Champions League place. Personally I'd rather the trophy as it's silverware you remember!

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, dayday said:

I think our fringe players have created Rodgers a nice big headache.

We will get key players back fresh for the season ahead and knowing they have to perform.

What a time to be a Leicester supporter.

So many players contributing at the moment and BR is managing the rotation exceptionally well. I think he deserves so much credit for how he has adjusted his tactics/selections depending on the opposition and  player availability. His game management/subs have been bang on. I still feel that the number of fixtures will catch up with us, but to be where we are at this stage is a huge achievement in itself. I’m genuinely excited to see how far we can go. 

• Like 2

This team is as talented as we have ever been but it's still early in the season, and I do still have a niggling doubt about the mentality.

I want to see us get some more scrappy wins and fightbacks from losing positions under the belt. They are the real tests. Braga pretty much rolled over after Nachos 2nd.

4 minutes ago, Chester Dontlie said:

We're gonna win the Europa League, then the Prem*

...Yes maybe I had a few beers so what

:filbert_2:

*or the other way around

I was thinking the same thing and I had no beers at all. One can dream.

3 minutes ago, Kevin Russell said:

So many players contributing at the moment and BR is managing the rotation exceptionally well. I think he deserves so much credit for how he has adjusted his tactics/selections depending on the opposition and  player availability. His game management/subs have been bang on. I still feel that the number of fixtures will catch up with us, but to be where we are at this stage is a huge achievement in itself. I’m genuinely excited to see how far we can go. 

Just make it to the international break and breath. If we can just do that every month who knows how high we can go.

14 minutes ago, Chester Dontlie said:

We're gonna win the Europa League, then the Prem*

...Yes maybe I had a few beers so what

:filbert_2:

*or the other way around

You forgot the FA Cup! No Guts No Glory :vardy:

Edited by SO1

Don't want to put a damner on things but we had a similar start to last season and we fell away. I hope that experience will help the players to get through any bad results that we may have but I have to say I'm more excited then I've ever been in regards to the football we're playing. It's breathtaking. And in a year where squads including ours have been crippled with injuries, we have more chance now then ever before to do something special. Liverpool have won the league and lost Van Dijk, Man City have not replaced losing Kompany and Silva, Chelsea are a work in progress, Spurs have defensive issues to sort out, United are a very patchy team. Its there for the taking imo but can we sustain this for the season and show this level of consistency. That is the question. 

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

This team is better than 15/16. It's not even close.

In 15/16 the league was very weak, that's something we can't forget. This time round Liverpool are in the top 2 teams in Europe with currently only Bayern being better than them. We also have many more games this season and at any point in time we could get a Corona outbreak in the squad meaning many players miss games. We are already the walking wounded!

But to answer the question, this team has the potential to win a trophy. Europa League or FA Cup is definitely possible, and / or a Champions League place. Personally I'd rather the trophy as it's silverware you remember!

...I can't agree with that!!!

What you are seeing is the buy-in of the players that was so evident in 2015/16 and the way they carried out the managers instructions. The same way of playing in respect of relinquishing possession and counter attacking is what you are seeing being repeated now and what you should be looking at is not the roster but what we are doing on the pitch.

You put the 2015/16 team up against this team and they would be very competitive, just look at Albrighton, people wanted him out, absolutely no time for him, he just needs to find a club as he is not at the level required as we had outgrown him. Take a look at his tenacity to fight his way back into the first team..again, what he brings in game after game and this was indicative of the 2015/16 players that surrounded him and the mentality that they had.

Sad that you could think that, that team could not hold a candle to our present roster, I think you are looking at this all wrong.

• Like 4

Long long way to go yet, just take it one game at a time and keep ploughing through to the international breaks where hopefully a lot of our players can get some cruicial rest.

Not sure about this team being better than the 15/16 one tbh, we had 3 world class players having the season of their lives and almost every other player was having a 7/10 or 8/10 game every week. I think individually we have better players now, as well as a better squad, but stick this team in the 15/16 season and I'm not sure if they'd win the league. Stick a 15/16 Mahrez in this team and I'd say this one is definitely better.

Wolves on Sunday is a tough test, they'll stick men behind the ball and try to counter us, so we'll see how we get on.

1 hour ago, RobHawk said:

As it stands, you look at the end of last season and wonder what happened, did we run of gas, did the heads drop, was it just the adaptation to no fans etc etc.

What's clear is the quality was always there and we have started this season even better than the last. In under, castagne and fofana we have really added some incredible talent to the squad. 

Add on to that the likes of Justin, thomas and Hamza are continuing to grow into the team, looking much more confident too and the likes of praet, mendy and tielemens look even better this year too and are having a much bigger influence imo. 

With the solidity and quality of Kasper, vardy, Evans etc it just seems that our squad has some incredible depth all of a sudden, with youth and experience, but even one really contributing. I was even impressed with Perez tonight as he would be the one anomoly so far.

With players coming back from injury giving us a further boost as the season progresses, maybe another signing in January too, hopefully this will be enough to carry it through for the full season and avoid the issues of last year.

But ultimately, this is an incredible feat for out club. We really are growing into a force to be reckoned with. As someone who until 2016 thought the o'neill years would be the best I'd see in my lifetime, it really is something to behold.

We might hear it sometime later, but I am sure last seasons shakey run-in  from the beginning of the year, was down to injuries.

Heavier/bad injuries and knocks than openly admitted or mentioned.. Players  playing Carrying worse injuries longer than reported & the Management & player

trying to Nurse them....

I Dont think that either Chilwell,Fuchs,Evans,Vardy,Praet,Maddison, Morgan or even Tielemans were match-fit,

and Ndidi tried to Comeback too early,then there was Ricardo..!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shailen said:

Don't want to put a damner on things but we had a similar start to last season and we fell away. I hope that experience will help the players to get through any bad results that we may have but I have to say I'm more excited then I've ever been in regards to the football we're playing. It's breathtaking. And in a year where squads including ours have been crippled with injuries, we have more chance now then ever before to do something special. Liverpool have won the league and lost Van Dijk, Man City have not replaced losing Kompany and Silva, Chelsea are a work in progress, Spurs have defensive issues to sort out, United are a very patchy team. Its there for the taking imo but can we sustain this for the season and show this level of consistency. That is the question. 

3 Teams that I believe will be in the reckoning & upsetting  the Top 5 applecart  are. Ourselves ( again), Southampton & Wolves. Everton will also Keep Knocking

on the door & have a EOS consistent run,to ruin any of those 3 teams higher aspirations.

This season will See a longer drawn out beginning of more games needed to see which Teams

will be fighting for Top Ten ,then Top 6 positions.

We might well see us going into the Christmas games,before we become any wiser & see any pattern forming...

I can See the Newcastles ,Brightons, Palaces, & Hammers, upsetting any expected norm...

To Really get it ticking,if would be Great to see Burnley,WBA,Fulham find some decent form....

Villa & Leeds, W.Ham I really Dont know or understand yet their potential for this season...

This season will give us a Top & turfy ride  through the Weekly fixtures.

Crowd absence & Covid-worries  is having & will further have a major Effect on performances & results..!!

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

3 Teams that I believe will be in the reckoning & upsetting  the Top 5 applecart  are. Ourselves ( again), Southampton & Wolves. Everton will also Keep Knocking

on the door & have a EOS consistent run,to ruin any of those 3 teams higher aspirations.

This season will See a longer drawn out beginning of more games needed to see which Teams

will be fighting for Top Ten ,then Top 6 positions.

We might well see us going into the Christmas games,before we become any wiser & see any pattern forming...

I can See the Newcastles ,Brightons, Palaces, & Hammers, upsetting any expected norm...

To Really get it ticking,if would be Great to see Burnley,WBA,Fulham find some decent form....

Villa & Leeds, W.Ham I really Dont know or understand yet their potential for this season...

This season will give us a Top & turfy ride  through the Weekly fixtures.

Crowd absence & Covid-worries  is having & will further have a major Effect on performances & results..!!

I think this season 80 points may be enough to win the league and could be 40 points to stay up, so the league could be very tight. 

On 06/11/2020 at 00:39, fuchsntf said:

We might hear it sometime later, but I am sure last seasons shakey run-in  from the beginning of the year, was down to injuries.

Heavier/bad injuries and knocks than openly admitted or mentioned.. Players  playing Carrying worse injuries longer than reported & the Management & player

trying to Nurse them....

I Dont think that either Chilwell,Fuchs,Evans,Vardy,Praet,Maddison, Morgan or even Tielemans were match-fit,

and Ndidi tried to Comeback too early,then there was Ricardo..!!

There weren't that many injuries until right near the end. There were however some piss poor positional team selections and tactics at times. Possibly one benefit of our injury list has been, when required, a more pragmatic approach from Rodgers rather than a slavery to a partly bygone philosophy. I'm not for one minute saying that it was all his fault but neither was it all down to the players or injuries. With the exception of perhaps baffling tactics against West Ham, Rodgers has done remarkably well with what he's has at his disposal thus far. The players seem happy with it also so all power to his elbow. 

On 06/11/2020 at 08:39, shailen said:

I think this season 80 points may be enough to win the league and could be 40 points to stay up, so the league could be very tight. 

..should be interesting to keep an eye on a team, just across the way!!!

There is a common feel to their run in the league, as opposed to their survival  last season and a certain  Coach imparting his knowledge  and whom I  felt, that giving him the Managers job, opened up the risk of losing him from our back room.

Looks like he is making things happen and your comments regarding 80 points, would perhaps, surely mirror our feat.

This team is phenomenal but the 15/16 team was our best ever and I’d still back them to beat the current crop. What we did that year was truly historic, maybe the greatest achievement in sporting history. To say the current team is better is madness in my eyes. I know what people mean and yes on paper we probably have more technical ability now but no team will ever be “better” than that one. They are immortals. I still think the title winning team, in their pomp would have given any team in the world a challenge. They were more than the sum of their parts. They were just other worldly. X 

• Like 4

On 06/11/2020 at 08:39, shailen said:

Absolutely zero chance you'll need 40 to stay up. I reckon this season will be the lowest ever. 26 is my guess. 

West Brom, Fulham and Sheff Utd are all woeful. At best, Sheff utd will pick up two wins between now and Xmas, another in January and say March and two wins in the scramble at the end. Throw in four draws. And that's them done.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Absolutely zero chance you'll need 40 to stay up. I reckon this season will be the lowest ever. 26 is my guess. 

West Brom, Fulham and Sheff Utd are all woeful. At best, Sheff utd will pick up two wins between now and Xmas, another in January and say March and two wins in the scramble at the end. Throw in four draws. And that's them done.

Sorry but you must be on the wind up. With the same team Sheffield United got 54 points last season, more than double what you are saying they'll get this year and they only finished 8 points behind us. There is no chance 26 points will keep any team up this season or any.

For me, it's the potential of this squad, rather than team. I think we have an excellent starting team. Better than 15/16? Not sure. What I am sure about is that this must be the best squad we have ever had. Below, I have broken the basic squad up into: starting 11, subs, and reserve. When you look at the quality of players probably on the bench, players like Justin, Praet, Mendy and Ünder, and the players that wouldn't make the bench, Choudhury, Perez, Albrighton, Amarty and Gray... I think that incredible squad depth....

Starting 11 Schmeichel Ricardo Fofana Evans Söyüncü Castagne N'didi Tielemans Maddison Barnes Vardy

Subs 1)Ward 2)Justin 3)Fuchs 4)Mendy 5)Praet 6)Iheanacho 7)Under

Reserve Choudhury Perez Albrighton Thomas Morgan Amartey Gray Slimani

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Sorry but you must be on the wind up. With the same team Sheffield United got 54 points last season, more than double what you are saying they'll get this year and they only finished 8 points behind us. There is no chance 26 points will keep any team up this season or any.

I'll call up our respective posts later this season (unless you're right, of course) 

I said last year even when they were fifth. They are garbage. 

• Like 1

Although I’ve been laughed at for suggesting our best 11 is not far off the best teams in the world, I stand by my statement and would say that our first team is capable of not only winning the Europa League this season but also a consistent top 4 finish thereafter.

I remember specifically comparing our best 11 vs Liverpool’s, how many of their first 11 walk into our team? Salah & Mane for definite, beyond that it’s all debatable.

Not to mention a lot of the elite have crumbled some what in recent years. On our day we beat any team on the planet. 

Edited by SheppyFox
  • Like 1