Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

US Presidential Election 2020

Just now, Koke said:

Its definitely an anti Trump vote rather than a pro Biden vote. Biden is your standard career politician who has supported and voted on some pretty horrific policies. People are happy that a 78 year old status quo politician is president because his opponent is foaming at the mouth with bigotry and hatred - and his supporters love him like a cult leader. Trump supporters are some of the most unbearable human beings.

Dems went out of the way to push the most milquetoast, bland, uninspiring candidate they could find so as to only put off the smallest possible amount of traditionally GOP voters fed up with Trump.  And it still nearly wasn't enough.  The GOP must be salivating at the idea of all the political chicanery the US voters will let them get away with in coming years.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

At least Trump is immune from Covid.....  But in all seriousness, the bloke was once the subject of a stone cold stunner..... I don’t think any other words are needed.

Did he even have it in the first place?

A lot of posters seem to want the republican party gone. For me it's Ying Yang. I am more right than left but you NEED both sides to keep the other in check. It's like a pendulum. Imagine a country with one party and one set of ideals unchallenged. I think most could agree extreme left or extreme right (which is where it would drift) would both be terrible. You don't have to like trump as a person to see he's put through some good changes and had the economy in nice shape before covid. He also makes a good point about not making deals for campaign money as it means you have to give something to those stakeholders when you're in office, whether it's under the table or not. He's done well with much less of a campaign budget. Going back to the point, although I wouldn't have voted Biden if I were American, I imagine he'll try to make some changes we could all see as positive. It will also be nice to see a president that uses a bit more tact. 

A lot of black and white thinking on here.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Koke said:

Its definitely an anti Trump vote rather than a pro Biden vote. Biden is your standard career politician who has supported and voted on some pretty horrific policies. People are happy that a 78 year old status quo politician is president because his opponent is foaming at the mouth with bigotry and hatred - and his supporters love him like a cult leader. Trump supporters are some of the most unbearable human beings.

Just like what happened with le pen and macron in france

2 minutes ago, NasPb said:

Just like what happened with le pen and macron in france

Theres a theory doing the rounds that extremist politicians get pushed by the media so that people will naturally elect politicains that keep the staus quo in power without them having to make major changes. Not saying its true but it does seem to work. In most cases.

2 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

I have no dog in the fight at all before I ask this. 

But all those jumping at joy at Biden winning and making out its the greatest day in American history, what has he guaranteed to do for the Country? What are the policy's that he has said he would bring in to make the country better? 

Its just going to be the same old same old. Think we'll get guaranteed heathcare for all? Not a chance. I've been listening to the dems and repubs talk sxxt and Lie my whole life. Better for the rich perhaps. For the rest of us.........we eat sxxt.

2 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Other than foreign policy, what does it matter? We don't live there. 

Trump is a horrible human. Full of hate  arrogance and bitterness  

Most folk here aren't celebrating the rise of Biden but rather the fall of Trump. 

For me personally, I'm happiest about Harris. A woman of colour in the WH is a remarkable step forward for America. 

As bad as Trump was and is. Bush II/Cheney make him look like an angel.

Edited by SO1

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

He's won on the basis of not being Trump. It will be interesting what difference it will make. I know very little amount American politics, and even less about Biden but he doesn't look too inspiring to an outsider like me, I'd that's even important. 

Like it or not, Trump is popular amongst a lot of people. Biden first duty will be to calm things down so things don't get out of hand. 

The world is safer without him having any power though, I don't know if you'd say we got off lightly with his reign but he's definitely getting more crazy as time as gone on. 

Biden voted for the Iraq war/genocide. I'm filled with confidence :)

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I'm more relieved than I thought I would be, and I think that's because it's been a while since something happened in world politics that doesn't feel like another step towards certain doom.

It's still depressing that 70 million plus people thought Trump was a better option than... well anything, really. I got a tiny, tiny bit of insight into this yesterday, when I was talking to someone who's children live in the US. Whilst they found Trump abhorrent, they voted for him as they were concerned about paying more tax if Biden got in. No idea if this is a common position over there, but it's pretty bleak, innit? Like that's all that matters

Its not even close. Sounds like you were talking to someone wealthy who was not effected by Covid, foreclosure, or healthcare

2 hours ago, Christoph said:

Which is probably the reason why Trump still got a lot of votes. Biden is just the face of the status quo for corporations. Not that I think Trump was a better candidate! I've seen higher bars at a Limbo event.

I don't think much of Biden tbf.

I'm by far not an expert in US politics but my impression is that the only thing going for him was that he wasn't Trump. In normal times and without Covid he'd have lost this election. It will be normal service being resumed and I'm more interested in Harris, because imo she was the Dems real bet and I doubt that Biden will be able to physically go until the end of his mandate.

• Like 1