Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

US Presidential Election 2020

12 hours ago, trabuch said:

Climate change is by far the most important issue of the 21st century. The removal of Trump might help with slowing things down. I never felt comfortable with a climate change denier in the White House. (That to me is the most important thing, but I could give you many reasons I am happy he's gone)

Climate change needs to be take much more seriously I think you think the migrant crisis is bad now with 5 million from syria wait until billions are seeking refuge from climate disasters. It's in everyone's interest to get climate change under control.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

Climate change needs to be take much more seriously I think you think the migrant crisis is bad now with 5 million from syria wait until billions are seeking refuge from climate disasters. It's in everyone's interest to get climate change under control.

Yep, and that's what people don't seem to get. It could be at least a billion people running low on food and potable water in the next few decades and needing to migrate.

Or folks know it's going to happen and just intend to pull up the drawbridge.

Looking at the projected results 'down ballot' it appears to me that the Biden/Harris mandate is pretty precarious. A Republican majority senate and losing seats in the house could be pretty ominous come the mid term elections. 

11 minutes ago, SMX11 said:

Looking at the projected results 'down ballot' it appears to me that the Biden/Harris mandate is pretty precarious. A Republican majority senate and losing seats in the house could be pretty ominous come the mid term elections. 

Guess it also depends on how the Covid pandemic pans out and whether Trumps base will still have the same energy in 2022. Two years is a long time in this political landscape.

6 minutes ago, Kingleicester said:

Douglas Murray in policy myopia shocker.

Evidently he thinks a slightly elevated opinion of the UK in the eyes of the previous administration made up for all the other stuff.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Yep, and that's what people don't seem to get. It could be at least a billion people running low on food and potable water in the next few decades and needing to migrate.

And yet everyone is only worried about what's under their nose. (Covid)

If only the environment had the same PR. It won't until it's too late. 

We're so reactionary, so short term, it hurts.

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Guess it also depends on how the Covid pandemic pans out and whether Trumps base will still have the same energy in 2022. Two years is a long time in this political landscape.

Douglas Murray in policy myopia shocker.

Evidently he thinks a slightly elevated opinion of the UK in the eyes of the previous administration made up for all the other stuff.

We will have to wait and see buddy, But the facts are, trump said we did the right thing voting for Brexit, Biden was against it,  more pro union, At a guess Biden will be more like obama, we will fall behind France and Germany, back of the que kind of comments, 

10 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

And yet everyone is only worried about what's under their nose. (Covid)

If only the environment had the same PR. It won't until it's too late. 

We're so reactionary, so short term, it hurts.

Can't say I disagree, my own taking Covid damn seriously aside. Perhaps what's happening now might be a wakeup call to those who think nature can't throw a spanner into the comfortable status quo as and when it likes. I guess we'll have to see.

7 minutes ago, Kingleicester said:

We will have to wait and see buddy, But the facts are, trump said we did the right thing voting for Brexit, Biden was against it,  more pro union, At a guess Biden will be more like obama, we will fall behind France and Germany, back of the que kind of comments, 

Those are facts, agreed.

The way I see it, it's the difference between a President willing to mildly inconvenience sixty-odd million people (if he chooses to do so) and one willing to take a course of action that goes a long way towards condemning far, far more over the next few decades (which he chose to do) - it just so happens most of those won't be British, that's all.

Edited by leicsmac

54 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I don’t thinks it’s the not getting, I think it’s more those who could have an actual impact don’t care. Like I said in an earlier post, we can take all of the petrol and diesel cars off the roads, we can radically reform farming in the uk, but until these international companies that drain the earth of its natural resources and the large construction operations that end up tearing down forests and turning up wild lands stop, we will never get anywhere. There are some extremely powerful and very rich people who’s billions are forged to the detriment of the planet.

In England we’re not too bad, but whatever we do is small fry in comparison, to the much larger countries with more pull when it comes to such things. I don’t really know what the answer is we’ve ignored warnings for decades and now find ourselves scrambling around looking for answers? 

I just can’t see anything changing until there is a major disaster that costs billions of lives, it tends to be when people’s ears **** up. I really hope it doesn’t, but I’m not hopeful any of the major league players will be all in until that happens....

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I don’t thinks it’s the not getting, I think it’s more those who could have an actual impact don’t care. Like I said in an earlier post, we can take all of the petrol and diesel cars off the roads, we can radically reform farming in the uk, but until these international companies that drain the earth of its natural resources and the large construction operations that end up tearing down forests and turning up wild lands stop, we will never get anywhere. There are some extremely powerful and very rich people who’s billions are forged to the detriment of the planet.

In England we’re not too bad, but whatever we do is small fry in comparison, to the much larger countries with more pull when it comes to such things. I don’t really know what the answer is we’ve ignored warnings for decades and now find ourselves scrambling around looking for answers? 

I just can’t see anything changing until there is a major disaster that costs billions of lives, it tends to be when people’s ears **** up. I really hope it doesn’t, but I’m not hopeful any of the major league players will be all in until that happens....

I'd agree that the people really running things don't care as long as they get their wedge...that being said, that wedge is still (to some extent) within the power of the average consumer. Enough public awareness that strips them of that wealth supply might, just might, get them to change tune. Of course, that's difficult because it relies on everyone being of the same mind at the same time.

I'm not sure what the answer is either and I think you might be sadly right that the only time when people really wake up to it is when the bodies really start to pile up. I do hope it's before then though because by that time what's in motion probably would be very, very difficult to stop or even mitigate without massive economic, social and physical casualties anyway.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fightforever said:

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Genuinely, I'm glad I was not born any later than I was. It's scary thinking about how bad a state the planet will likely be in in 50 years time or so.

It should be top of the political agenda really, and yet the US has spent 4 years going backwards and deforestation of the Amazon is getting worse again. 

2 hours ago, Kingleicester said:

Pretty much every claim made in that piece, aside from the ones about the Trump administration working on a trade deal, is presented without any evidence at all to support it.

On 07/11/2020 at 04:27, trabuch said:

I'm sure @UPinCarolina will know more about exactly what he is able to do. But this interview with his niece is pretty chilling.

https://www.channel4.com/news/mary-trump-on-donald-trump-if-he-thinks-hes-going-down-hes-going-to-try-to-take-the-rest-of-us-down-with-him

He can muck up the transition, he can pardon all sorts of nefarious people, perhaps even himself - he'll likely kick and scream in the courts and on Twitter. There's a good chance he'll keep holding rallies or events to drum up rage and resentment. The reality is that most Americans feel a private sense of relief that he's gone, even some that voted for him. People get sick and tired of dealing with the constant piquing of outrage in one way or another.

• Thanks 1

If he pardons Assange and Snowden I'll have more respect for him than the corrupt UK kangaroo court that has Assange on trial now.

The UK is every bit as bad as the US when it comes to the corruption of its legal system and government. How does that feel.

Just now, SO1 said:

If he pardons Assange and Snowden I'll have more respect for him than the corrupt UK kangaroo court that has Assange on trial now.

The UK is every bit as bad as the US when it comes to the corruption of its legal system and government. How does that feel.

While those would be unpopular decisions with the foreign policy establishment I think they would go over very well with the American public.