Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
waylander

Rodgers due respect

1 hour ago, norwichfox said:

Tailor made fit Puel for Chelsea...

You say in jest but Puel did a good job here. Rodgers never could of had the success he's had without Puel before him. Same with Rodgers before Klopp. Someone has to change the style of play and that person is almost always the sacrificial lamb.

1 minute ago, SO1 said:

You say in jest but Puel did a good job here. Rodgers never could of had the success he's had without Puel before him. Same with Rodgers before Klopp. Someone has to change the style of play and that person is almost always the sacrificial lamb.

You can't say that around here man lol  Puel was an unmitigated disaster in every aspect they tell me.  Worst manager in our history according to a City fan calling talksport yesterday. 

Just now, Koke said:

You can't say that around here man lol  Puel was an unmitigated disaster in every aspect they tell me.  Worst manager in our history according to a City fan calling talksport yesterday

Self promotion is not recommendation they say......  :ph34r:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

I think you are right, he did seem to lose the plot last year against the front runners, and the players will have been far more aware of that than us.

Thankfully, we are transformed now. One day we will learn what the feedback on the slump the players wrote in the summer said, I bet Evans and Vards had something to say. Whatever it was, the fact we seem to be back on the same page speaks volumes about the connection between the squad and the manager.

Also, we have shown the tactical flexibility that I didn't think BR had in his locker this season, which gives me greater confidence in the man, and the fact that we have shown so strongly 2 seasons in a row means it cannot be a coincidence.

The players and manager we see today aren't the players and manager we had last year. They're better.

All of them.

3 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Cant wait..for that Gerrard moment, & Tielemans slip, lets in.....:ph34r:

Traitor! Go ahead join the dark side......but I'll be waiting for you with open arms when we win the league!

6 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Chris Davies looks like a great assistant coach as well don't know much about him but seems like a top bloke

Adam Sadler does a lot of the shouting both in training and on the touchline too. A good team :) 

Edited by AjcW
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Koke said:

You can't say that around here man lol  Puel was an unmitigated disaster in every aspect they tell me.  Worst manager in our history according to a City fan calling talksport yesterday. 

I always liked Puel. I know unpopular opinion on here. He clearly wasn’t our worst manager ever but wasn’t our greatest. Imo he was somewhere in the middle. Obviously Rodgers man management is better and tactically he’s improving. Let’s not forget Ricardo and tielmans were signed by puel thru his links with Monaco and Nice. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Koke said:

I agree. Puel did okay here. Not greatest but not terrible either. Had Rodgers taken over after Shakespeare he would also go through phases of awful results. People forget the team Puel inherited vs the team he left us with. 

Clearly Rodgers is a better manager but Puel had his value. 

Indeed.  We had to go through a transition - getting rid/phasing out deadwood and bringing into the first team some young players.  It was always going to be a difficult job and a bumpy road, but there's no doubt he left us with a solid foundation to be built on. 

I doubt Rodgers would have been tempted to come here without the squad we had in place for him inherit.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SO1 said:

Cant argue with that, he needed a better communication skill set though...

• Like 3

13 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Brendan Rodgers PL Record @ Leicester 

P 67      W.35  D.12  L.20

F.119  A.71 GD +48

Points = 117

I don't think anyone is Rodgers Out on FT - even if we (for example) lost the next 4 games I think those who can't warm to him would realise he's got some decent credit in the bank.

Only Liverpool & Man City have more points in the same time.

I also saw another stat on Leicester in general that being the amount of days we finished on Top of the Table since 2015-16 season, we are miles behind Man C & Liverpool, not that far from Chelsea but clear of Man U

Man C - 547 days
Liverpool - 534
Chelsea - 194
Leicester - 175
Man U - 56

So quite a jump from 4th to 5th & no sight of Spurs or Arsenal in over 5yrs at the top, i know they will be in the Top 2-4 positions but then our 2-4 ranking would also be very high.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, norwichfox said:

Cant argue with that, he needed a better communication skill set though...

I don't know the details like you. Just that the skill set of the players when he left was an excellent place for Rodgers to build.

1 hour ago, SO1 said:

Traitor! Go ahead join the dark side......but I'll be waiting for you with open arms when we win the league!

I Couldnt resist it....I Wanted to be a Smart-arse troll..Just once in my life...

The Dark side aint what its cut up to be...Darth Vader..Just a Deep voice,barrack-room-jedi...

Now that Vardy....on the blue-side..!

12 hours ago, Babylon said:

He also pissed around with the team every time we played a “big club”, even if they were in rubbish form. Gave them too much respect and didn’t seem to trust us, not now.

Yeah, I see that. He's shown flexibility this season too which has helped.

3 hours ago, nnfox said:

Indeed.  We had to go through a transition - getting rid/phasing out deadwood and bringing into the first team some young players.  It was always going to be a difficult job and a bumpy road, but there's no doubt he left us with a solid foundation to be built on. 

I doubt Rodgers would have been tempted to come here without the squad we had in place for him inherit.

As I've said before - at the time, we needed a butcher: someone to come in and sort the squad out after the previous seasons and managers were no longer up to the job we needed, aswell as bring in some additional talent (ingredients) we needed on top.  Puel started this off well - (and it's a continual process given the players still left on the books we no longer need).  What he struggled to do was find and cook the recipe we needed right then and there, which TBH, most managers would have.  Thankfully, we then went out and managed to find and hire a Chef...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Let’s be honest, Puel was a PR disaster, lost the dressing room, presided over utter dross on the pitch, and yet, if you can muster up the objectivity, we owe him a lot. 

he began the change in system with huge birthing pains. 

He signed some bloody good players. 

He began the foundations of what Rodgers is now completing. 

So yes, Puel was a nob, but we owe him some thanks. 

In a nutshell.

5 hours ago, SO1 said:

Pearson took over from Hollowhead, changed the style, attitude, focus, and some personnel, and dragged us back from one of our worst periods in history.

Three years later he took over from Sven, changed the style, attitude, focus, and some personnel, and lay the foundations for what would become our most successful period in history. 

I appreciate the use of the term 'almost always', but some managers just fit at a club, where as others do not. Puel may have been influential in bringing some very talented players in, but on the whole was tactically obtuse, and a poor man manager in this league, both for us, and Southampton. Far from being one of our worst managers, of course, but I'd stop some way short of calling his time here anything like 'good'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dan Gliballs said:

Pearson took over from Hollowhead, changed the style, attitude, focus, and some personnel, and dragged us back from one of our worst periods in history.

Three years later he took over from Sven, changed the style, attitude, focus, and some personnel, and lay the foundations for what would become our most successful period in history. 

I appreciate the use of the term 'almost always', but some managers just fit at a club, where as others do not. Puel may have been influential in bringing some very talented players in, but on the whole was tactically obtuse, and a poor man manager in this league, both for us, and Southampton. Far from being one of our worst managers, of course, but I'd stop some way short of calling his time here anything like 'good'.

Hollowhead?lol:D:dunno:...........I'm just going by the technical level of the players and how easily they took on Rodgers possession/attacking style football. Mainly the ability to keep the ball under pressure.

I wasn't here to watch Puel so I'll defer to you and others for the specifics. He must have done something right.

Ian Holloway got it.:beer:

Edited by SO1
Hollowhead

On 20/01/2021 at 12:27, winteriscoming said:

I always liked Puel. I know unpopular opinion on here. He clearly wasn’t our worst manager ever but wasn’t our greatest. Imo he was somewhere in the middle. Obviously Rodgers man management is better and tactically he’s improving. Let’s not forget Ricardo and tielmans were signed by puel thru his links with Monaco and Nice. 

Plus he gave Fofana and Barnes their big breaks . Albeit Fofana  with St Etienne.

Puel is not only responsible for bringing in good players but he's also added hundreds of millions to our squad value. 

He certainly knows a player when he sees one. It will be interesting to see who he brings through next.

• Like 1