Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
waylander

Rodgers due respect

8 hours ago, adam95581 said:

That’s literally one article in two places. Neither of which quote anyone close to Rodgers or Rodgers himself saying it. 

Not saying it’s not true, but it doesn’t carry much weight for me. 

There's a feeling from some fans that if a press/media article doesn't provide "quotes" then it is somehow less believable.

Just like with politics, football journalists get briefed. We get told stuff to use as long as it's not attributed to the person/people. 

For example, remember all those pieces during Puel's tenure, explaining what was going on, all the problems? There wasn't quotes. But the stories were true.

Hope that helps.

PS I don't think there's much in this story right now

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

There's a feeling from some fans that if a press/media article doesn't provide "quotes" then it is somehow less believable.

Just like with politics, football journalists get briefed. We get told stuff to use as long as it's not attributed to the person/people. 

For example, remember all those pieces during Puel's tenure, explaining what was going on, all the problems? There wasn't quotes. But the stories were true.

Hope that helps.

PS I don't think there's much in this story right now

Hmm fair. I guess your ‘p.s.’ is why I’m skeptical though - can’t see anything in it at this point 

2 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Hope that helps.

Geoff, what you and other Puel detractors conveniently forget is that the club were in total stasis at the end of Shakey’s shift.  Not much direction in building the squad, and none whatsoever in building a style of play.  We were 50/50 to go in either direction.

Puel brought a plan into this and drove it through the club.  He was able to initiate change and get us through the worst of it.  His communication with the players wasn’t nearly good enough.  But consider this: Craig Shakespeare’s was off the charts … and where did that get us?  There is much more to leading an organization through necessary change than keeping everyone comfortable.

To obsess over the fact that he pissed off Kasper Schmeichel, Jamie Vardy and Andy King is ridiculous.  They are grown men and professionals, and got over it quickly enough.

I’ve led large organizations through change, and it never comes easily.   IMO the club ditched Puel for Rodgers at just the right moment.  Rodgers deserves the lion’s share of the credit.  But we’d never have had a foundation here to attract and empower him without Puel.  And if Puel had truly left things in the crapper as you insist, Rodgers would never have been able to flip it so quickly. 

• Like 2

Anyone excusing Puel's tenure at this club should switch on to watch St Etienne v Lyon. Lucky to have ever been given a job at Leicester let alone landing on his feet at St Etienne.  Can't see him being there much longer either based on the evidence of the first half. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KingsX said:

To obsess over the fact that he pissed off Kasper Schmeichel, Jamie Vardy and Andy King is ridiculous.  They are grown men and professionals, and got over it quickly enough.

If only it was 2-3 players he pissed off !!!

The majority of the players plus those in the backroom and other club staff.

Don't make it out to be just a disillusioned handful.

And they got over quickly when he left because they were fookin delighted !

FWIW, he brought some positives but caused way more chaos.

• Like 2

For however poor and toxic it was with Puel, Rodgers wouldn't have taken the job when Shakespeare left. We needed a go-between.

We've clearly upgraded massively, Puel was never a long-term thing but we brought in players during his time that have allowed us to attract top coaches.

He's gone and nobody wants him back. Every single one of us would choose Rodgers any day.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

If only it was 2-3 players he pissed off !!!

The majority of the players plus those in the backroom and other club staff.

Don't make it out to be just a disillusioned handful.

And they got over quickly when he left because they were fookin delighted !

FWIW, he brought some positives but caused way more chaos.

As always you contribute an insight others can’t, and I accept this as fact.

But when the ship was dead in the water, Puel gave it a new direction and got it moving.  His predecessors couldn’t, and other managers we could have attracted at the time, might not have either.  That is the most critical point.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If they sack Lampard, it'll be Benitez in again IMO at least until the summer.

Sounds Like it will be Tuchel, but we'll have to wait and see.  Fingers crossed either Benitez or Tuchel is fine by me, as long as they don't go after Brendan!

Just now, Grebfromgrebland said:

Lampard gone. Is anyone worried?

Always, but Rodgers has a great package here with big salary and a very realistic chance of a trophy here. I don't think he will leave yet as he has unfinished business here. He left Swansea and Celtic because he achieved arguably as much as he could. 

2 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Anyway they've appointed this guy:

So Klopp's replacement at Mainz and Dortmund will now become his direct rival at Chelsea. Interesting.

Seems the trend of Bundesliga manager imports isn't stopping yet.

7 minutes ago, BigGibbo said:

He's about to get his due respect now as everyone and his dog clamour to pimp him for the Chelsea job. Pretty sure he's already the frontrunner betting odds-wise 😒

Apparently Thomas Tuchel has already been lined up so thank fuch for that.