Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
John12345

Rodgers

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Do people still pay attention to what managers say? It's all warped and guarded bollocks for the benefits of the press, what they say to camera is very rarely what they think of the performance, the players, or even their own performance as a manager. 

I hear plenty of managers saying things like 'I got it wrong today' etc. Taking the focus off the players is a smart tool to use with the media imo

Not once have I heard anything resembling that from Brendan. It would help our fans to warm to him more and go someway to shifting this arrogant tag he's earned for himself 

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Koke said:

Million miles is semantics, but Poch is definitely better than Rodgers. Transformed Spurs from 6th/7th mediocrity to regularly top 4 team. Rodgers doesn't have that kind of CV. He doesn't even have a CV full of trophies since we like to use that as a stick to beat Poch with.

Success at Celtic and promotion with Swansea is far more than Poch achieved. I will not say the Argentine is a bad manager - because that isn't true - but he underachieved at Tottenham. Arguably Rodgers and Poch are evenly matched with both reaching a second-place finish. On a purely quantifiable level Rodgers' has 7 managerial honours to Poch's 0. Additionally, Poch's reign at Spurs coincided with Arsenal, Man United and Chelsea having periods of serious rebuilding following the retirement of iconic managers, players and the change in the Premier League's tactical trends. 

The anti-Rodgers mob being in full-force following a top six finish last season, and holding fourth currently this season is ridiculous. Given the injuries, and I would argue the lack of form from Vardy in recent league matches, we are doing okay. From open play ol' Hedgehog has scored 3 times, as Fulham's Danish defender showed yesterday (completely forgotten his name, probably Andersen?!) there is a degree of the opposition wisening up to some of Vardy's new tricks. Without Vardy, we do not have an outstanding attacking talent in the mould of Mahrez, Kane or Son. Also, we don't have tremendous depth available, or an unlimited budget. Rodgers is building something. The football we are playing currently is epochs beyond Puel, Pearson and Shaking Shakespeare. We are not the perennial underdogs anymore.

I cannot see Pochettino doing anything more with this Leicester team than Rodgers. If he could not win anything with a Tottenham team boasting Eriksen, Kane, Son, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Lloris and in-form Alli, Walker and Dier, what could he achieve with our present Leicester team? On paper, I genuinely believe we have a fantastic squad available to us, but it is by no means as stacked as that 15-17 Tottenham squad was.

13 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I hear plenty of managers saying things like 'I got it wrong today' etc. Taking the focus off the players is a smart tool to use with the media imo

Not once have I heard anything resembling that from Brendan. It would help our fans to warm to him more and go someway to shifting this arrogant tag he's earned for himself 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/my-team-selection-was-all-wrong-admits-brendan-rodgers-2xlc5gx5h

Edited by ScrumpyJack
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, frany104 said:

If you think playing 5 at the back to Fulham at home isn’t a problem you need to give your head a wobble. Formations bring out the best of players abilities, and that formation doesn’t give you much attacking potency. It’s a good formation for games where your expected to be dominated in possession and you counter the opponent. It is not a formation to play against a team fighting relegation. 

So do you believe playing wingbacks at home to Fulham is why we lost? Or do you think that Yori giving the ball away poorly, then Praet not fouling the player and Fofana not dropping back lead to the 1st goal? Or that an experienced player like Fuchs making a stupid and needles challenge lead to the penalty when their was no danger lead to the 2nd goal? We lost because we made so many individual errors. And if you do that in the prem you get punished 

41 minutes ago, Cecchini1976 said:

So do you believe playing wingbacks at home to Fulham is why we lost? Or do you think that Yori giving the ball away poorly, then Praet not fouling the player and Fofana not dropping back lead to the 1st goal? Or that an experienced player like Fuchs making a stupid and needles challenge lead to the penalty when their was no danger lead to the 2nd goal? We lost because we made so many individual errors. And if you do that in the prem you get punished 

A lot of this is sense. You can criticise Rodgers for his team not being prepared. And they were not. They were lazy, complacent and lacked effort. However, putting the blame solely on wing backs and a back 3/5 is not correct. Chelsea won the league playing this system - just because you play with an extra defender, it doesnt mean you are going defensive. The defensive team out there yesterday was Fulham not us. They countered, we dominated the ball. The stats show that. 

We lost yesterday because of individual errors, lack of preparation and complacency. It hurts because getting beat when the opposition is simply better is one thing. When you are beat because of poor individuals and prep - its very hard to forgive. 

When we got to the 84th Minute, they woke up a bit, applied pressure and were slightly more creative in their play - they moved the ball faster - we scored one and created another very good chance. The players, the coaches and the manager (all three combined - not one) let themselves down yesterday - they didnt do the basics of their jobs. None are blameless.  

Whether we play wing backs or a flat back four or 3 at the back. It doesnt matter. You can't substitute basic endeavour and application. 

Edited by Mickyblueeyes
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Koke said:

Million miles is semantics, but Poch is definitely better than Rodgers. Transformed Spurs from 6th/7th mediocrity to regularly top 4 team. Rodgers doesn't have that kind of CV. He doesn't even have a CV full of trophies since we like to use that as a stick to beat Poch with.

I dont disagree with the point that Poch is ahead of Rodgers in rankings. However, it was Harry Redknapp who took them to the 4/5 position regularly from mediocrity. Poch cemented their place thereafter. 

43 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Do people still pay attention to what managers say? It's all warped and guarded bollocks for the benefits of the press, what they say to camera is very rarely what they think of the performance, the players, or even their own performance as a manager. 

You could be right bit ultimately, what they say to the media is or should be what they want to portray to the fans and Rodgers is proof that even when doing well (in the grand scheme of things) he still comes across as an utter d!ck and fans are not going to be patient with someone they dont like. 

Edited by Foxy_Bear

What I struggle with is, the fact we always seems to wait until H/T before changing things at the earliest.

After the first 10 minutes, it was so frigging obvious last night that this was going to be a car crash result, but nevertheless we persisted in carrying on doing exactly the same things that were frankly speaking - not working.

Why then is nothing done from the side of the pitch to change what is going on - on the pitch?

Good sides adapt and change things during games immediately a tactical problem is apparent and do not just play on for 45 minutes repeating the same garbage tactics.

With all the analysts at our disposal and all the pre-match preparation that goes into games in the EPL, this looks looks like a load of bollooks to me - it really does.  Shaking my head wondering why.

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

It an excuse, he go it wrong and sometimes life is about being a little humble and holding your hands up. 

I haven't got a problem with us losing a game, it the nature of the loss. 

It’s not it’s a statement of fact, we are a young side, we started two players under the age of 20,  three more under 25 and bought three more on under the age of 25.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

41 minutes ago, Cecchini1976 said:

All that is true but the whole idea of a formation is to avoid your players being placed under the kind of pressure which leads to individual errors and to provide the platform for offensive players to do damage to the opposition. They weren’t unforced errors last night they were caused by players being out of position and a lack of coherence throughout the team. 30 minutes into a 0-0 PL game you wouldn’t expect to be so defensively stretched that the opposition can virtually walk the ball into the net...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I think people are arguing semantics about the young team thing. We've got a young and inexperienced back line in Justin, Fofana and Thomas. Now, I'm not sure that warrants all out defence against Fulham mind. 

Not at all, 

anyone who thinks 8 of the 14 players used in a match day squad being under 25, one of those being over being 26 and another being a goalkeeper, doesn’t constitute a young side, needs to give their fcking head a wobble to be quite honest.

1 minute ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Not at all, 

anyone who thinks 8 of the 14 players used in a match day squad being under 25, one of those being over being 26 and another being a goalkeeper, doesn’t constitute a young side, needs to give their fcking head a wobble to be quite honest.

I'm don't think anyone is disagreeing with that, but its not the sole reason we lost.

Everyone know we have injuries and a young side, but that doesn't mean he can be exempt from being hold to account for poor tactical decisions.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

He isnt a negative manager historically though is he? Is he being persuaded by the powerful leadership group to play a certain way? Probably not but it's weird so many managers have gone this way. Do they feel the only way to be a threat with Vardy is to sit back and counter? Is it squad limitations that he hasn't been able to rectify yet? The injuries forcing him into it? 

Hopefully this will be the wake up call, coinciding with some returning from injury. 

..he is a cautious manager!!!

He has a tendency to play safe in big games, shoehorning Maddison constantly on the wing in order to have him in the team. We never perform when he does this, we played as if we were playing in a system we were not familiar with and we looked poor.

I believe that the team takes its positivity from the manager and his attitude to the impending game, and if you set up in a negative fashion and you relay that mindset to your players they are going to bring that to the game.

Rodgers has a roster that when all is available is a very competitive team and also makes him a bit of a "flat track bully" and when he comes up against teams which set up to negate our style we end up in a situation like last night.

I still believe that he needs a number two, who has a tactical side would help him greatly. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I'm don't think anyone is disagreeing with that, but its not the sole reason we lost.

Everyone know we have injuries and a young side, but that doesn't mean he can be exempt from being hold to account for poor tactical decisions.

You might want to review your original post if your now saying you don’t disagree with the fact we have a young side. And I don’t  recall him stating it was the sole reason we lost.

I don’t really get what you want out of him though, I for one don’t want our manager stood in front of the Sky cameras admitting his tactical ineptness is the sole reason we lost, even if it is the truth, which it isn’t.

It is spectacularly rare for managers to make unforced personnel changes before half time, probably because to do so, would reflect badly on their original team selection/tactics and therefore damaged ego.

Equally, for similar emotive reasons, they won't drag a player off before HT.

Where he fails I feel, is not making the changes to tactics/personnel at HT or 10 mins into the second half at the latest if there is no sign of improvement.

5 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

You might want to review your original post if your now saying you don’t disagree with the fact we have a young side. And I don’t  recall him stating it was the sole reason we lost.

I don’t really get what you want out of him though, I for one don’t want our manager stood in front of the Sky cameras admitting his tactical ineptness is the sole reason we lost, even if it is the truth, which it isn’t.

We want him to acknowledge when he gets it wrong because if he doesn't  nothing will change. 

The tactics were wrong yesterday, no doubt about it but I wager my left nut that we will line up with the same system against Sheffield because Todgers will want to prove that, that formation can work against a low block. His ego won't let him change it because changing it means he was wrong. 

("Todgers" was an auto correct that is amusing enough to me not to amend)

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

We want him to acknowledge when he gets it wrong because if he doesn't  nothing will change. 

The tactics were wrong yesterday, no doubt about it but I wager my left nut that we will line up with the same system against Sheffield because Todgers will want to prove that, that formation can work against a low block. His ego won't let him change it because changing it means he was wrong. 

("Todgers" was an auto correct that is amusing enough to me not to amend)

If he ever recognises the formation needs changing I can tell you for free he’s not going to stand in front of the media and state that’s the case. It is quite frankly naive to expect that of him.

Although rep point for the auto correct.

10 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

If he ever recognises the formation needs changing I can tell you for free he’s not going to stand in front of the media and state that’s the case. It is quite frankly naive to expect that of him.

Although rep point for the auto correct.

Maybe but not accepting his part in it whilst throwing his players under the bus is a sure fire way to lose the dressing room. 

The problem Rodgers has is he is very unlikeable as a person. Now, we will put up with it along as he is winning (which he generally is just now) but the second that slips..... The fans will pounce on him and if he loses the dressing room too......

Perfect example is big Nige. Utter d!ck of a man but he protected his players and had the fans onside so we backed him and so did the players. 

We all make mistakes, i wasnt particularly fond of rodgers at the end of last season but he gotten some good grace back after getting some good results to start this season. Now what will be unforgivable is if he continues with this 3atb, i can maybe understand against sheff united as it worked last time but from then on it really shouldnt be used unless against man city.

1 hour ago, Manwell Pablo said:

..why not!!!

I would rather a manager who was honest enough to say why it all went wrong, than to constantly repeat the same scripted response who nobody ever believes.