Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
John12345

Rodgers

Fourth in the table after a quarter of the season, qualified for the knockout stages of the Europa League with a couple of games to spare, all in the midst of a pandemic where games are coming faster than ever and an injury crisis that has taken key players out for an extended period of time. All this after challenging at the top for half a season and reaching a cup semi-final last year. Yet despite wins against Man City, Arsenal, Leeds away and Wolves at home we literally took a knee in the Liverpool game, bowed to their superiority and seemingly accepted the inevitability of defeat, despite the fact that they were injury ravaged, too. That brings us to the Fulham game and I have to admit I wasn't confident pre-match and even less so when the team for the game was announced. It seemed like deja vu! Unfortunately, my worst fears were realized with an abject performance and defeat in a game against a relegation favourite when a win would have taken us joint top. The fact that this didn't come as a shock to me, which surely it should have done, is particularly worrying. Given the heights I have outlined under Rodgers this kind of performance should be an outlier, even the very best teams have off days, but unfortunately it is becoming a pattern. Our alarming capitulation last year cannot be put down entirely to the pandemic, injuries or youthful inexperience, so what is the problem? For me it is a mental issue as, in key games, when the pressure is on and when the hype around us is at it's height, we do not perform to the levels of which we are capable. The squad we have now is, without doubt, the most talented any City manager has had at his disposal in our entire history (I've supported Leicester for the best part of 60 years), yet we continue to see these dramatic swings in performance levels. Rodger's must find a solution if we are to take the next step and really mix it consistently with the big boys. Although we do not have the privilege of seeing behind his media mask, I don't think Rodger's negative formations against weaker opponents, slowness to make tactical changes during the game and his apparent inability to fire the team up prematch instil the levels of confidence and belief required to inspire a youthful team to reach even greater heights consistently.  

• Like 1

He messed up yesterday.  He has got it right far more.than he has got it wrong though.

Partly, the squad needs to mature.  Partly, we need some injured  class players .

Partly, if playing Fulham, who probably don't have a player that would get in our team, be on the front foot by having pace and trickery in the front three.

3 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

We are clearly not going to agree. 

3 shots on target against the worst defensive team in the league and you think it was the right system...

Conceded 2 against the forth worst attacking team in the league and you think it was the correct formation. 

Only one team in the league has failed to create more chances than us this season which would be OK if we were atleast keeping it tight at the back but we are not. 

We aren’t no. Especially if you put words in my mouth. I’ve not once said it was the “right” system. There is no such thing as the “right” system though. Every system works in the right conditions. I’ve said I don’t like five at the back already.

What I have said is Brendan Rodgers should not be taking full accountability for that defeat when his players have played poorly, at all, never mind in public view. 

It’s amazing we are fourth in the league despite having Anfield and the Etihad cleared off the fixtures list  really isn’t given how terrible we are.

44 minutes ago, Adster said:

Just think. Why would he do this in a post match interview? 

If you were at work as a Manager and something you had planned for had gone wrong, would you tell the whole company a detailed description of why it went wrong and list everything that could've been done differentely? No, you would discuss privately with your team just like Rodgers will be doing. 

Do fans realistically expect this now? 

We lost, yes. Just get over it. 

...I  can accept defeat!!

No one is saying give a detailed dissertation on "The failure of Football managers to combat the Deep Block in present day management".

Stop the clichéd responses and hold your hand up.

16 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

We aren’t no. Especially if you put words in my mouth. I’ve not once said it was the “right” system. There is no such thing as the “right” system though. Every system works in the right conditions. I’ve said I don’t like five at the back already.

What I have said is Brendan Rodgers should not be taking full accountability for that defeat when his players have played poorly, at all, never mind in public view. 

It’s amazing we are fourth in the league despite having Anfield and the Etihad cleared off the fixtures list  really isn’t given how terrible we are.

Every system works in the right conditions, yes. Last night was not it. 

I'm not asking him to take "full accountability" I'm asking him to take SOME..... 

Using our position to justify poor performances is what we did ALOT in the second half of last season.

I've not once said we are terrible OR that Rodgers is a bad coach. 

Edited by Foxy_Bear

1 minute ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Every system works in the right conditions, yes. Last night was not it. 

I'm not asking him to take "full accountability" I'm asking him to take SOME..... 

Using our position to justify poor performances is what we did ALOT in the second half of last season.

I've not once said we are terrible OR that Rodgers is a bad coach. 

Much as I don’t like It should of got the job done. If your are missing a sitter and conceding two goals through fundamental basic defensive errors in the space of 15 minutes and as a result left trying to play around a bank of five and four, I’m not sure the system, which is nowhere near as defensive as people make put as it allows us to play three attack minded midfielders, is to blame.

Our league position doesn’t justify anything it’s just the bigger picture. You seem very keen to point at negative statistics when there is only one that matters

We have no idea what he says in the dressing room and it needs to stay that way. 

What he says in front of the media could be (and probably is) totally different to what discussions he has with players. The fact some people want him to openly admit he is wrong on some occasions is just fan preference and expectation. He has no obligation to do it. Some managers have different styles, shock. 

As for throwing players under the bus, when exactly has he done this? I don't recall players being singled out at all. What I have heard is players comment on how good a man manager he is. Weren't we all praising him for getting Iheanacho's confidence back up at one point?? 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, StanSP said:

We have no idea what he says in the dressing room and it needs to stay that way. 

What he says in front of the media could be (and probably is) totally different to what discussions he has with players. The fact some people want him to openly admit he is wrong on some occasions is just fan preference and expectation. He has no obligation to do it. Some managers have different styles, shock. 

As for throwing players under the bus, when exactly has he done this? I don't recall players being singled out at all. What I have heard is players comment on how good a man manager he is. Weren't we all praising him for getting Iheanacho's confidence back up at one point?? 

He’s said the players collectively poor, which they were.

Like I say “I got my tactics wrong” is something you very seldom hear from a top level football manager with good reason. I can remember Bilic, Zidane, and Conte admitting it in recent years off the top of my head and that’s about it and they were incidences where there were not the glaring individual player errors we saw last night.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

I’ll reserve judgement when he gets the two players he wanted. He stated in the summer he wanted 5 Quality signings over quantity, but only managed 3 that certainly added quality to the squad. We need a striker and a winger. People are deluded thinking Barnes and Under are enough in a long hard season. Many times when in good form fans have said on here we don’t need anyone. Forgetting it’s a long hard mentally draining season. That freshness lifts the group and adds options. We can’t rely on iheanacho/Slimani to come in for Vardy and we can’t rely on Albrighton when Barnes/under are injured or out of form. I think Jovic and Thauvin are the two missing pieces to the jigsaw. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

So we then go and switch it up against Sheffield United and lose by a one goal margin what do you want then.

I got it wrong again?

You do realise this man is running a 23 man squad who have to have belief what he is telling them is going to get them results. It’s not a good look to be publicly admitting his failings are the reason the team lost.

Especially given he is right individual errors cost us far more than the system. 

I dont agree with the last line, a bad system ends up causing these errors as the players are put under extra pressure to compensate for the bad tactical setup. You are trying to shift the blame from the manager to the players.

It is a bit like saying because barca setup wrong in a game, messi only gets one shot on goal as a result and then blaming messi for the result because he didnt convert his chance.

The leeds manager against us, openly told the press he distributed his players wrong in the first half and corrected his mistake in the second, he didnt reveal secret tactics, he was just been honest.

Fulham only shut up shop in the second half, before then we had 45 minutes to breach them, and it was very clear to see why we have the lowest amount of goals in the EPL from open play this season.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1

Let’s not focus solely on the manager for our fickle fingers of blame.
That was truly a team effort. lol

People who say the teams performance is the sole responsibility of the manager are ...... mistaken.

Edited by Dahnsouff

38 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Let’s not focus solely on the manager for our fickle fingers of blame.
That was truly a team effort. lol

People who say the teams performance is the sole responsibility of the manager are ...... mistaken.

No one has said that it's the managers sole responsibility....

3 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

No one has said that it's the managers sole responsibility....

Not named perhaps, but the majority of the lambasting is levelled that way it seems. Maybe that is fair, perhaps I am still shocked at what seemed a lack of effort and that word Claude used.

16 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I’ve never listened to any of our managers post match interviews, It’s only ever rehearsed media friendly tosh anyway. Why anyone would expect anything meaningful from them, I really cannot fathom. 

It doesn't really matter what he says, people are just looking for a stick to beat him with.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Webbo said:

It doesn't really matter what he says, people are just looking for a stick to beat him with.

I can’t deny he warrants some criticism, the setup was negative and in my opinion unnecessarily so. That’s not to say a positive more attacking setup would have produced a better result. Sometimes it’s just not your night.

I was really disappointed last night but I’m over it now, if we were languishing around mid table or towards the bottom end of the league I’d get it but we are a decent team that’s a bit inconsistent and prone to confidence loss. I can live with it. It’s a bit weird this obsession about honest post match comments, I’d love to know who they all think does do this? Because I can’t think of any manager that does or has done with any sort of regularity.

5 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

We are clearly not going to agree. 

3 shots on target against the worst defensive team in the league and you think it was the right system...

Conceded 2 against the forth worst attacking team in the league and you think it was the correct formation. 

Only one team in the league has failed to create more chances than us this season which would be OK if we were atleast keeping it tight at the back but we are not. 

We have a habit of making lowly teams look  good. I  must admit last season  I  said  to a fellow supporter after the Norwich game that there was no way they would go down and he agreed . Most people forget that when we won the league we only  drew and won in the last minute against arguablly  next to Derby the worst premier league side.

1 minute ago, Foxaholic ME said:

We have a habit of making lowly teams look  good. I  must admit last season  I  said  to a fellow supporter after the Norwich game that there was no way they would go down and he agreed . Most people forget that when we won the league we only  drew and won in the last minute against arguablly  next to Derby the worst premier league side.

...perhaps the salient point is, we picked up points!!!

19 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Watching ajax tonight makes me think this is the way we should set up.

Its effectively 433 on paper but is almost 4141 when they're defending then the cdm drops in and makes a back 3 when they attack allowing the full backs to bomb on, effectively becoming 343. With wilf back this would really work.

I doubt the Ajax manager would come here