Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Everton Post Match

Just now, peach0000 said:

The defence was the issue. The lack of available defenders meant Ndidi was taken out of midfield. The lack of an attacking full back like Justin (who had to play on the right) or castagne on the left made us flat. We put out the strongest team we could but ultimately it is always going to be a challenge with your entire back four out injured or suspended.

I said the midfield was the problem, hence having no Ndidi.

We had Big Wes, that would have meant Ndidi in midfield

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Thought Dacoure looked sensational tonight btw

Big, strong midfielder who can play a little rendering Tielemans et al, impotent

We need a Dacoure in our squad 

We do - his name is Wilfred Ndidi!

We missed him in midfield, we'll be much stronger with Evans back and Ndidi restored to his best position. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

It wasn't the defence that was the problem today, our midfield was missing

Probable because one of them who’s possible the best defensive mid going was playing in defence . Funny how we’ve looked so much better with Wilf back in midfield and when he’s not we look dreadful again 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

We just earned zero points and never looked like scoring in 2nd half... against a mediocre team

Firstly not a mediocre side. Secondly we did have chances but I would be more inclined to give Everton praise for their defending that criticise our attacking. We will not win every game, no team does. The sooner you realise that the better as it'll make you a much happier person. 

6 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

I said the midfield was the problem, hence having no Ndidi.

We had Big Wes, that would have meant Ndidi in midfield

We are in a sense agreeing I think. My view is that Wes is too exposed so there was no option but to put Ndidi back there. You disagree with that point but we both agree having ndidi absent from the midfield isn't ideal. It's a tough one. 

Edited by peach0000
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, jim5000 said:

Rodgers fault 100%. Should have played Big Wes and played Ndidi in his natural position, unlocking Maddison and Youri further up the pitch. Would have given us leadership and height at the back, no way that corner goes in if Big Wes is in there stopping and arguably if Ndidi was playing his usual role than that shot would not have reached Kasper’s hands to slip through.

Spot on with Big Wes and Luke Thomas should of started instead of Fuchs, who looked shot from the word go.

They came to sit back, ideal time to play Thomas at left back, he would off supported Barnes more who was marked out of the game by them doubling up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

We've crammed in 6 games in 14 days - including a long trip to Ukraine - with several first choice regulars out injured. Let's not forget that.

Tired of excuses. Other teams in exactly the same situation, we are not alone. Players tiredness doesn't excuse a lack of creativity, determination, fight or tactical ability.

Edited by SecretPro
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Plenty would've been worried about Morgan and Fuchs being in a back 4 let's be honest. We missed Ndidi in midfield definitely and Morgan may have been ok but easy to say with hindsight. 

He's the manager, he should know how important it is to have Wilf in midfield. Yeah the Morgan selection could go other way but having Wilf in the middle would've given Everton much more to think about. The midfield battle was a non contest tonight

Ath the very least when it becomes apparent it isn't working you change it up

Edited by foxfanazer

1 minute ago, RowlattsFox said:

Plenty would've been worried about Morgan and Fuchs being in a back 4 let's be honest. We missed Ndidi in midfield definitely and Morgan may have been ok but easy to say with hindsight. 

I think Ndidi coped with DCL as well as I've seen any centre back do this season. I personally could not see Morgan doing that at this point in time. At least someone sees it!

1 minute ago, SecretPro said:

Tired of excuses. Other teams in exactly the same situation, we are not alone. Players tiredness doesn't excuse a lack of creativity or tactical ability.

And other teams in the same situation have also struggled. We were only team playing European football to win at the weekend. Man City and Arsenal drew this midweek, and Chelsea lost

• Like 4

Everton were the better team tonight. We all know that we needed to attack with speed and movement but it was too ponderous as per usual against teams that set up to defend. That said there were glimpses of us trying its do that. In that sense I was surprised when Ünder was subbed. He played well I thought.

2 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

And other teams in the same situation have also struggled. We were only team playing European football to win at the weekend. Man City and Arsenal drew this midweek, and Chelsea lost

Plenty of teams with congested fixtures. Spurs, even United will be above us once they've used their game in hand. Leave the excuses to the likes of Klopp

Edited by SecretPro

1 minute ago, Hollyfox said:

They lost Allan towards the end of the 1st half and had their 2 full backs on yellows after 5 minutes of the 2nd.

At this point, I was quite confident, but Carlos team's know how to set up. 

We just didn't use any intelligence in that 2nd half

Think at the point we should gone full on, make them make errors and with yellow cards they may have even get a player sent off or wouldn't have tackled 

1 minute ago, peach0000 said:

I think Ndidi coped with DCL as well as I've seen any centre back do this season. I personally could not see Morgan doing that at this point in time. At least someone sees it!

The issue isn't Wilf's performance at centre back. It's missing his presence in midfield 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

He's the manager, he should know how important it is to have Wilf in midfield. Yeah the Morgan selection could go other way but having Wilf in the middle would've given Everton much more to think about. The midfield battle was a non contest tonight

I agree that Ndidi should've been in midfield. But I don't think that was the biggest reason we lost tonight.

22 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

I think along similar lines to this. Defensively the modern premier league is all about low block and defending deep. If you go a goal behind you are really hard pressed to get through the opposition defence as it's just packed and some teams particularly away will play like that from the start.

It's not just us who struggle with this, every team in the league does, I'm not sure there is a specific easily achievable tactic that you can use against it. I really dont know what the answer is.

It's so boring to watch.

And I think you're right, there's no easy solution.

That's why for me we must improve our set pieces. Defensively so that we limit the number of occasions we go behind and offensively so we can nick a goal against teams with a low block.

If we could have just nicked a headed goal at any point before the second goal was scored it completely changes the game.