Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Arriba Los Zorros

Our midfield - best in the league

3 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Tielemans, Ndidi, Maddison. 3 players that are on the verge of being world class

Praet, Mendy, Choudhury. Really high quality back up pressing the first team.

Wide options of Barnes, Under, Perez and Albrighton - a lot of different skillsets for different games there.

Is there a case we have the best midfield options in the league?

I can never remember ever Leicester having anything near this quality, and also strength in depth in all the time I've supported them!

Out of the whole list, for me only Ndidi would walk into any other team in the Premier League.

Tielemans is far too slow and clunky and Maddison is far too inconsistent and illusive for either to be amongst anything world class.

Perez & Albrighton low end Premier league and Choudhury championship standard.

Ünder and Barnes lots of potential but nowhere near world class.

For me, Fofana has the potential to go world class (I know he isn't midfield)

• Like 1

Our central midfield is very good. Ndidi is the best CDM in the league this season as Fabinho is playing as a CB for Liverpool. Tielemans is one of the best deep lying playmakers in the division - arguably this season he has been the best of that type of player and when he plays well, we win games. Maddison isn't on the same level as KDB, Ziyech or even someone like Jack Grealish, but he is a good player and seems to be getting somewhere back to his best. All 3 work well with one another too.

Our wide players are not in the same bracket. Barnes is good and getting better, but nowhere near the level of some of the other top teams. Albrighton / Under / Perez / Praet have done well at times, but again nowhere near the very top teams.

Our midfield is also rather naive and inexperienced, as you'd expect with a young group of players. That's why when we put in poor performances we can't dig ourselves out and lost games. For example I often think that if in the first 10 minutes if Tielemans is having an off day, the loss is inevitable. We have literally lost every game that he's played badly in this season! When he learns to cut those out and our improve after bad starts, then he probably gets signed for 80m+ as he looks like a player that will get there eventually.

Overall we do have a good midfield though, and certainly the best and most balanced I've seen in my lifetime. It's just a shame we can't go to games! As a midfielder myself at a very low level, I really enjoy watching our team play. Youri Tielemans in particular plays football the way I dreamed I could play! That drag back and lofted pass he played to Under for the assist to Vardy for our win against Arsenal was :thumbup:

45 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Not at all.

We have some good players, but one of our biggest problems is we don't have midfielders who can take games by the scruff of the neck and win them like De Bruyne or Fernandes can.

The likes of Maddison, Barnes and Tielemans need to much more in that regard before they can be considered amongst the best in the league.

36 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

👍

I love the way Col quotes a post and replies with a :thumbup: rather that just giving the original quote a thumbs up/like rep instead lol

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Our wide players need to chip in with more goals, Maddison needs to learn that sometimes he needs to up the tempo rather than try to pick a lock, Teilemans needs to find his shooting boots. 

Ndidi on the other hand is amongst the best in Europe. 

Not yet the best in the league, but one of the best and still relatively young. If we keep hold of them, improve them and add a bit of competition, of everything clicks, then we have the making of the best in the league

Yes. What we have is a very good young and improving midfield. Some of the teams with better mid fields than us are at their peak. The only way to improve them would be to replace them. We have the opposite problem of holding on to players when they reach the "world-class" threshold.

Just now, daddylonglegs said:

The title of this thread is the exact reason I hate a lot of football fans, so reactionary and such an exaggeration...

Each to their own, though!

P.s. we've got a good midfield but if you think it's better than a midfield that has Wijnaldum/Henderson/Thiago in it then you need your head checking

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

I love the way Col quotes a post and replies with a :thumbup: rather that just giving the original quote a thumbs up/like rep instead lol

I like to put my personal touches onto replies. We are a society of quick fixes and generalisations and I like to show a bit of quality

👍😉

😆

10 minutes ago, PhillippaT said:

:thumbup:

4 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I like to put my personal touches onto replies. We are a society of quick fixes and generalisations and I like to show a bit of quality

👍😉

😆

2 hours ago, Sampson said:

Not at all.

We have some good players, but one of our biggest problems is we don't have midfielders who can take games by the scruff of the neck and win them like De Bruyne or Fernandes can.

The likes of Maddison, Barnes and Tielemans need to much more in that regard before they can be considered amongst the best in the league.

I think Maddison could be that player he has proved it on a couple of occasions just needs to do it every game

1 hour ago, daddylonglegs said:

P.s. we've got a good midfield but if you think it's better than a midfield that has Wijnaldum/Henderson/Thiago in it then you need your head checking

I'm not on the wind up here when I say that only 1 I'd stick in our line central midfield from those 3 players is Thiago.

And in any case he'd be in Wilf's place and Wilf is our best player sooooo..... yes I do think our midfield is better than Liverpool's.

8 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

We live in a society where everything has to be "the best" or "the worst" whereas the truth is often found somewhere in between.

Right? It's why I get so annoyed at those childish "Football Twitter" morons who are obsessed with players being the "Best" or "Worst". Has to be one or the other. Toxic, mind numbing stuff. 

11 hours ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Its interesting how these threads only appear on the back of a win...

That's because we're an emotional bunch.

Win a game = 'Rodgers due respect' thread is top page
Lose a game = 'Rodgers' thread is top page
Win a game = Optimistic pre match thread
Lose a game = We'll be annihilated pre match thread

• Like 1

We have the best trio and blend of midfielders in the league. N'didi, Maddison and Tielemans. N'didi is the best intercepter and best at breaking up play in world football imo. Tielemans is a very good playmaker at spraying the ball left and right and operating from deep by picking the ball up from the CBs, turning and then picking the pass. Maddison is really good at running at defenders and winning free kicks with his subtle skill and operating in tight spaces. 

We have the perfect blend in these three and if we keep them fit all season, we will control most games between now and the end of the season. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Charl91 said:

(Dare I say, and I'm going to get shot for this, but even Villa's midfield of Barkley, Grealish and McGinn isn't far off ours

you named 3

our midfield has more depth of first picks or backups, of all bar Jack

From what I remember, 2 summers ago a proper bid could have have got Grealish, if only.

We for sure would have a midfield  now to  match Livarpool

Edited by nnickn