Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Crystal Palace 1-1 LCFC - Post Match Thread

11 minutes ago, mod hero said:

How did Demarai Gray pull rank on that free kick? Senior players (Tielemans should be telling him to step aside) mans never even got one on target in the 5 years he’s been here. Unbelievable 

I was so annoyed, as after all the fuss it was quite a poor and half-hearted attempt, and he didn't even seem disappointed or apologetic.

2 minutes ago, deep blue said:

Nothing wrong with Choudhary's performance. And, would you believe it, as soon as he's subbed his replacement immediately loses the opponent he's marking, who scores.

Even if you ignore passing mistakes that get us into trouble, there's not much good about any of his performances either. We're past having use for players that cover space and put in the odd crunching tackle. Those midfielders need to contribute to our forward play too, even if it is only being available for a pass from the cbs and passing it on quickly to better players- like mendy does. 

Has Richie  Wellens been blamed yet? If not, why not?

Win against Newcastle and the strategy may have be the correct one.  The real lesson learnt is, the next recruit needs to be a striker and forget all talk about Tarkowski.

I don’t get what argument people are making?

The fact is we drew against a poor side and, most people would say we dropped a couple of points.

So no, to rotate so many was the wrong thing to do

It’s a points business. Losing two points today is no different to losing two points in any other game.

Brendan overdid it. If he’d have got it right we wouldn’t have been watching the game after 60/70 mins thinking wtf!?

Take yourselves back to the match thread. That was pretty much the consensus 

• Like 3

Just now, Col city fan said:

I don’t get what argument people are making?

The fact is we drew against a poor side and, most people would say we dropped a couple of points.

So no, to rotate so many was the wrong thing to do

It’s a points business. Losing two points today is no different to losing two points in any other game.

Brendan overdid it. If he’d have got it right we wouldn’t have been watching the game after 60/70 mins thinking wtf!?

Take yourselves back to the match thread. That was pretty much the consensus 

Just curious, what line up would you have started?

I’m just pleased we’ve learned how to draw again! We had 12 the season we won the league! 

Big win against Newcastle needed to keep us on track :) 

Bit disappointed that we seemingly put a players needs over team needs on that penalty, especially with the amount of capable pen takers on the pitch! 

19 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...totally agree we were resting players but the Nacho situation needed to be addressed!!!

He was not having a good gaming, his missed penalty and chances had affected him and he was going about fouling players unnecessarily due to his frustration. The commentators even commented that they had a feeling it was not going to be his day after he headed wide from 4 yards in the first half.

I was calling for a switch for Perez to become one of the striker and bring Gray on the right with Nacho taken out of the firing line. It is not due to hindsight but it was obvious a player was struggling to positively affect the game and we required a change upfront. 

I agree that Nacho  wasn't on his game at all.  It soon became clear that every minute he stayed on the pitch was another minute wasted in our quest for goals.  I felt he should have been withdrawn before halftime.  Also, the pundits pointed out that CP would come out after halftime with a much more upbeat attitude - why did Rodgers not anticipate that too and drill it into the team before they came out for the 2nd half?  Poor.

• Like 1

BR did the right thing resting players, we’ve had a tough schedule and there were some players that needed a break. My only issue with the starting 11 is that Perez should have been in the hole and Praet as an 8 not as a 10. Choudhury and Mendy should not have played together

Kel did well until the pen. He earned the right in training (as per BR) but the execution was poor. Should have put his foot through it.

Overall it’s not the end of the world. 5pts from spurs and these away and Utd at home is a decent return.

A lot of players to come back and a lot of games to play. Got to keep our heads up 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BigGibbo said:

We were all but guaranteed to win if he just brought him on whilst it was still 0-0. All the other changes would have worked fine if there was a capable striker on the pitch in any condition. 

So first half? Because Palace were a different side second half. It's a different game if we play Vardy instead of Nacho, completely different player.

7 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Just curious, what line up would you have started?

Just give me thirty mins to give the medical team a call and I’ll get back to you with my starting line-up

👍

Back to the real world and I guess the question is whether 7 changes were needed (due to injury or testing) or whether Brendan simply chose to play his b team?

What do you think? 
My feeling is he over-did it. 
These players are supreme athletes now and some could probably have been perfectly fine to start.

Which way do you go?

• Like 1

I understood the changes, the timing of the game isn't ideal if players are carrying knocks. Another couple of days may've allowed a few more to play and even Soyuncu could've been ready. It's a risk whatever decision he takes.

That team should've been 2-0 up at half-time and he should've made changes at half-time with Iheanacho probably affected by the penalty miss. Bringing Gray on was a bizarre move after three months of no involvement whatsoever.

We don't know what exactly the issues were with some rested players but I've no doubt Rodgers wanted to put out a strong team yet felt unable to. I highly doubt complacency was an issue.

11 minutes ago, Fktf said:

Even if you ignore passing mistakes that get us into trouble, there's not much good about any of his performances either. We're past having use for players that cover space and put in the odd crunching tackle. Those midfielders need to contribute to our forward play too, even if it is only being available for a pass from the cbs and passing it on quickly to better players- like mendy does. 

Choudhary did make a couple of careless passes, but apart from that he had a good performance, making some good tackles and interceptions and some decent forward 

passes.  This in spite of appearing to be not trusted by the coach and being given very little playing time.

11 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

So first half? Because Palace were a different side second half. It's a different game if we play Vardy instead of Nacho, completely different player.

At any point during the game whilst it was 0-0. I might have waited until half time and put Vardy on to save Iheanacho some blushes. Or even put Perez central and played with a False 9. Or played Wes Morgan as an emergency striker old school Matt Elliot style. Anything but Iheanacho really.

That's assuming Iheanacho had shown something in training to warrant his starting berth in the first place aside from being the only striker option otherwise he wouldn't have started either.

Palace were utter crap we dictated the game but had no one to finish the chances created.

38 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

All I know is that we didn’t start with Vardy, Little Wes, Timmy, Maddison, Tielemans, Albrighton or Under and that equated to us scrabbling around to get an equaliser against a rubbish Palace side who had conceded what? 11 goals in two games? Could be wrong there..

Something can’t have been right Stan? Were they all injured and/or knackered?

This is a points business and we put out a side you’d expect to see in the League Cup

Rodgers said pre game that Fofana, Maddison, and Vardy were all managing niggles.  Under has a hamstring problem and Albrighton ran himself into the ground against United and didn't last the 90.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, kristianity77 said:

I think the frustration with the team now lies in the fact that the bang average players now stand out even more.  For every one player we have who is massively talented, hes more often than not passing the ball to someone whose not.  This was never more evident than today.  We have, genuinely, 6 or 7 players who could go to any big 6 team and probably play, and the ones that make the rest of the 11 up are bang average.   So when you rest nearly all of the quality players, you are in huge trouble.  Brenda rests players like we have a squad depth of City or Liverpool etc when we downright dont and it shows us up big time.

I get resting players I really do, but you've got to go about it in a way where it has little effect on the team that goes out on the pitch.  Today, that was a League Cup team he put out, in a Premier League game, where 3 points would have put us 5 points clear of 5th.  

I get that there are no assurances of 3 points in any game, but jesus christ Brendan, give the team a fighting chance.

Like I said before, if his intention was to rest players and only bring them on if needed, then bloody start them!!!  Hello, Palace had shipped 10 goals in 2 games, every single person knew they would start slow, cagey and more than a bit nervous (which they did).  That was the time to go at them with a full side!  Then, if you are two up etc at half time, bring the ones off you want to rest!  Thats how other bloody teams do it!  What manager puts a half assed team out and then plans to chase the game if the under strangth squad fall beind?  Its absolutely ludicrus to do that in the league when 3 points are at stake (and 3 points we should of been getting!)

The annoyance is, had we been away at Liverpool or something, then yes, I probably COULD understand putting a much weaker side out, because in reality, you aren't coming away with anything and even a full team would probably lose.  But this was Palace.  So for me, his choice today was either arrogance that a massively weak first 11 would cut it, or I dunno, a sly dig at the owners that we are struggling for depth?  God knows.

For a man who presumably was a heathen until 1977 you talk a lot of sense. I must admit I 'd said trust Brendan before the match but even I felt a bit worried when I saw the team. Then I felt OK as they had 5 changes and I thought smart BR , they've had to make 5 changes . Good thinking . It should have worked but Iheanacho had a poor match and was so ineffective at winning any  long ball ,which was just lack of effort IMO for which there's no excuse. This was a big chance for him. 

I'd forgotten how awful Gray was when he came on. I said no one had a real stinker. He did and was really good at it and managed to have a stinker of a game and all within ten minutes. A man that fast must have a great future somewhere but hopefully with another team. I can't remember ever watching him much before so was really puzzled at the free kick.I usually only see highlights and MOTD.  I thought he'd be the dummy decoy before Thielemans took it. Afterwards I thought maybe he's the best in training at free kicks. Unlikely I think. Shows the weakness in  having a goalie as captain . He has n't got time to walk all that way to say "Get your hands off the ball . You're not taking it !"

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, deep blue said:

Choudhary did make a couple of careless passes, but apart from that he had a good performance, making some good tackles and interceptions and some decent forward 

passes.  This in spite of appearing to be not trusted by the coach and being given very little playing time.

He was useless and his moronic tackling is terrible.centre midfield player who seems unable to ever pass forward. No wonder Rodgers doesn’t seem to rate him

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, deep blue said:

Nothing wrong with Choudhary's performance. And, would you believe it, as soon as he's subbed his replacement immediately loses the opponent he's marking, who scores.

I don't want to scapegoat him but it's incorrect to say there was 'nothing wrong' with his performance. In the first half he made a terrible backpass that put them in on goal and if Amartey hadn't kept his head so well we could easily have gone one down.

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

Thought we actually played well and any sort of competent striker and we would have won that 3 or 4-1.

Totally let down by the shambles we had up front. Utterly desperate for a half decent back up striker and have been for 5 years now.

Agreed, but who is a good alternative at the moment that we can get for a reasonable price/loan fee in the January window?