Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Crystal Palace 1-1 LCFC - Post Match Thread

6 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I mean we were informed by Rodgers before the game of 4 players carrying knocks (Vardy, Fofana, Maddison, Under), so unless you want to risk making their injuries worse or having to drag them off after 30 minutes then you don't start any of them

Rodgers said after the game he didn't want to risk Castagne and Ndidi

So of the 7 changes he made:

Fofana out, Amartey in - due to injury

Castagne out, Thomas in - risk of reinjury

Ndidi out, Mendy in - risk of reinjury

Tielemans out, Choudhury in - knackered and in need of a rest

Maddison out, Praet in - due to injury

Albrighton out, Perez in - not the kind of game where Albrighton should be starting so I can't see how anyone can have an issue with this change

Vardy out, Iheanacho in - currently dealing with an issue since the Spurs game, no doubt the reason he probably only got 20 minutes was because we were desperate for him to come on

So realistically of the players who were dropped, maybe only Tielemans and Albrighton could have started, one who offered little when he did come on and one who probably wouldn't have offered anything different to Perez

Oh p*ss off with your facts and sense ......there are people on here who are playing football manager ........

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Oh p*ss off with your facts and sense ......there are people on here who are playing football manager ........

Not gonna lie I have played players on FM who have small injuries, then been fuming when they come off injured after 10 minutes and are then out for 2 months lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Silva Fox said:

Disappointing result but it was unreasonable to expect the same 11 to play twice in 48 hours so in the grand scheme of things I'll take a point and be happy to resume with the likes of Madders, Castagne, Fofana and Ndidi at the weekend.  

Villa made one enforced change, despite playing with 10 men for over half a game 2 days ago and held Chelsea away whilst making no substitutions until the last 10 minutes. Yes, they've had far fewer injuries than us and not had Europa League fixtures but 7 changes was was way, way over the top for me. 

15 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I mean we were informed by Rodgers before the game of 4 players carrying knocks (Vardy, Fofana, Maddison, Under), so unless you want to risk making their injuries worse or having to drag them off after 30 minutes then you don't start any of them

Albrighton out, Perez in - not the kind of game where Albrighton should be starting so I can't see how anyone can have an issue with this change

Vardy out, Iheanacho in - currently dealing with an issue since the Spurs game, no doubt the reason he probably only got 20 minutes was because we were desperate for him to come on

So realistically of the players who were dropped, maybe only Tielemans and Albrighton could have started, one who offered little when he did come on and one who probably wouldn't have offered anything different to Perez

Fair play to you mate with that well thought out post. So much better than the usual tripe

If you are correct here it sounds like Rodgers did the best he could with the players at his disposal

Good post ol son

👍

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

Agreed, but who is a good alternative at the moment that we can get for a reasonable price/loan fee in the January window?

I'm not sure what is meant as a back up striker. If I had two good strikers I'd always play them both if fully fit. And on this season's evidence you could say we have a backup striker in Barnes who has 7 goals without being a penalty taker ,altho in hindsight he should have taken one today. Liverpool have presumably at least two back up strikers and usually play all three although it is had to tell which oine is the real striker and which two are back ups . My guess is Salah is the real one and Mane and Firmino are the back ups.. Even now I'm not sure I have n't missed one.

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

All I know is that we didn’t start with Vardy, Little Wes, Timmy, Maddison, Tielemans, Albrighton or Under and that equated to us scrabbling around to get an equaliser against a rubbish Palace side who had conceded what? 11 goals in two games? Could be wrong there..

Something can’t have been right Stan? Were they all injured and/or knackered?

This is a points business and we put out a side you’d expect to see in the League Cup

I’m guessing you didn’t see the first half then with “the team we’d expect to see in the league cup” that perhaps should’ve been 3-0 up and played one of the most commanding halves of football we’ve had all season? 

We’re all disappointed not to have won, but had we shown a similar attitude to that in the first half during the first twenty minutes of the second half, this is a whole different conversation. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I find it weird people are critising Rodgers (and I'm one of his biggest critics on here). We had to rest players and in the pre-match thread I said I thought it was one or two many changes too many, but with Maddison and Fofana injured we were forced into it. Tielemans has played so much football and Vardy is 34.

Our issue is that our back up players aren't good enough for these games. They're fine against lesser European teams, but playing against EPL quality is a different ball game (pardon the pun). By getting regular European football it allows you to purchase higher quality of players, because of the extra games we can offer them minutes throughout the year. We can't exactly offer people like Giroud (just an example) a 2 year deal, because he'll want a lot of money and then the 2nd year of his contract we might not even have European football.

Replace Slimani and Gray with two better options and we'll be in a much better position. What scares me is that we also need to replace Fuchs and Morgan, we could be looking at 60m there easily on just 3 or 4 players. Can we manage that without selling a key assess in the squad?

You can double that £60m. Vardy will need replacing in about 18 months 

2 minutes ago, Bert said:

I’m guessing you didn’t see the first half then with “the team we’d expect to see in the league cup” that perhaps should’ve been 3-0 up and played one of the most commanding halves of football we’ve had all season? 

We’re all disappointed not to have won, but had we shown a similar attitude to that in the first half during the first twenty minutes of the second half, this is a whole different conversation. 

First half I was amazed and impressed how fluid and incisive we looked, far more so than I had imagined likely, so yes, it could have been so different as you say.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Exactly. It's not rocket science yet there seem to be a few people on here who somehow can't get their heads around it for some reason.

37 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I find it weird people are critising Rodgers (and I'm one of his biggest critics on here). We had to rest players and in the pre-match thread I said I thought it was one or two many changes too many, but with Maddison and Fofana injured we were forced into it. Tielemans has played so much football and Vardy is 34.

Our issue is that our back up players aren't good enough for these games. They're fine against lesser European teams, but playing against EPL quality is a different ball game (pardon the pun). By getting regular European football it allows you to purchase higher quality of players, because of the extra games we can offer them minutes throughout the year. We can't exactly offer people like Giroud (just an example) a 2 year deal, because he'll want a lot of money and then the 2nd year of his contract we might not even have European football.

Replace Slimani and Gray with two better options and we'll be in a much better position. What scares me is that we also need to replace Fuchs and Morgan, we could be looking at 60m there easily on just 3 or 4 players. Can we manage that without selling a key assess in the squad?

Wes’s replacement is Amartey?

Fuchs’s replacement  is Thomas

Gray’s replacement is my Nan (or maybe Under)

So only the Slimani question to consider? (maybe better phrased as a Vardy successor?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

I’m just pleased we’ve learned how to draw again! We had 12 the season we won the league! 

Big win against Newcastle needed to keep us on track :) 

Bit disappointed that we seemingly put a players needs over team needs on that penalty, especially with the amount of capable pen takers on the pitch! 

...not sure it was putting a persons needs above the team!!!

Apparently in a shoot out in training Nacho scored 5 and Perez scored 4, I suspect this would have been out of 5.

Rodgers going by training where there is little or no pressure to a situation viewed by thousands, just a bad call by Rodgers.

As soon as it was going to be Nacho taking the kick, I was screaming No! I would suspect he would not have been the first name that came to mind with the players on the pitch.

Agree with the criticism about nacho obviously but feel Justin is getting off lightly again from the posts I’ve seen. Sure he’s young and improving but little mention of his piss poor pass that dropped us right in it, and I’ve seen him do that a lot the past few games. Needs to learn to play the percentages and focus on finding a teammate when we’re playing around the box like that. Has reason to be confident no doubt but not cocky just yet...

No criticism on Rodgers for me. His selection was vindicated when those chances arose. Players inability to stick them away or be prepared when Palace decided for 15 minutes to press isn’t the managers fault. Failure of those on the pitch. 

Just to say their goal was a horrid catalogue of errors from us. Justin’s pass, Evans showing Townsend on his stronger foot, Youri failing to protect the back post and Kasper with a hole at his front post. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Fair play to you mate with that well thought out post. So much better than the usual tripe

If you are correct here it sounds like Rodgers did the best he could with the players at his disposal

Good post ol son

👍

But wasnt that list Common knowledge...I would presume before Diving in on Rodgers selection, One would follow the History of Reported injuries

& Selection worries...

I Dont understand why some Posters are trying to put some permanent guilty-yoke around Rodgers....

our long-term chronic & niggling Set of injuries, have been regular reported,its just Rodgers has just got on with it, & unlike some hasn t gone Wimpering

to the media...Our injuries have been Team defining, but many fans also mainstream-media seem to ignore it...

Our Major important Quality players,Plus steady Cover have been hit....CBs/FBs/DM/CM/ & Striker, Not vor 1-3 weeks but 1-5 months...

The Bbone of our team hasn t started more than 2 games together...!!!

52 minutes ago, Alan Frost said:

For a man who presumably was a heathen until 1977 you talk a lot of sense. I must admit I 'd said trust Brendan before the match but even I felt a bit worried when I saw the team. Then I felt OK as they had 5 changes and I thought smart BR , they've had to make 5 changes . Good thinking . It should have worked but Iheanacho had a poor match and was so ineffective at winning any  long ball ,which was just lack of effort IMO for which there's no excuse. This was a big chance for him. 

I'd forgotten how awful Gray was when he came on. I said no one had a real stinker. He did and was really good at it and managed to have a stinker of a game and all within ten minutes. A man that fast must have a great future somewhere but hopefully with another team. I can't remember ever watching him much before so was really puzzled at the free kick.I usually only see highlights and MOTD.  I thought he'd be the dummy decoy before Thielemans took it. Afterwards I thought maybe he's the best in training at free kicks. Unlikely I think. Shows the weakness in  having a goalie as captain . He has n't got time to walk all that way to say "Get your hands off the ball . You're not taking it !"

Exactly, What pisses me off in these sort of issues is that it should be sorted out by the Manager on the training ground.

He should make the call and give the instruction not any player. It should be 1,2,3 .

Strikers are generally very selfish, If there's a chance of a Goal they want to take it.

Nacho's confidence was gone after he missed and he became a liability.

Brendan should also dictate how they take it, None of this nonsense on the run up.

Vardy has the right idea. Hit it hard either side of the Keeper. Even if he get's a hand to it it's still likely to go in.

12 minutes ago, FlyingFuchs said:

Agree with the criticism about nacho obviously but feel Justin is getting off lightly again from the posts I’ve seen. Sure he’s young and improving but little mention of his piss poor pass that dropped us right in it, and I’ve seen him do that a lot the past few games. Needs to learn to play the percentages and focus on finding a teammate when we’re playing around the box like that. Has reason to be confident no doubt but not cocky just yet...

You're criticising Justin? He may have played a few stray passes here and there but I'm prepared to let him off perfection as he's been damn close to our best player in my humble opinion most games of late.

3 minutes ago, foxfan92 said:

You're criticising Justin? He may have played a few stray passes here and there but I'm prepared to let him off perfection as he's been damn close to our best player in my humble opinion most games of late.

Fair enough...pretty far off perfection yet though that’s my point. Anyway just saying it’s an area he has to work on. Definitely been more than a few here or there, and often not worth the sizable  risk involved, which is the bigger issue for me

That pass from Justin was symptom of tiredness.

As I’ve said I’m more annoyed that Evans with all his experience allowed Townsend the angle to use his left foot, given his right foot (apart from a couple of flukes) is about as useful as a chocolate teapot. 

That’s a player with tons of experience failing to read that situation. Even telling Thomas to tuck inside rather than close down Townsend in that phase of play 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

As I’ve said I’m more annoyed that Evans with all his experience allowed Townsend the angle to use his left foot, given his right foot (apart from a couple of flukes) is about as useful as a chocolate teapot. 

That’s a player with tons of experience failing to read that situation. Even telling Thomas to tuck inside rather than close down Townsend in that phase of play 

He sent Mendy into the box

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Out of interest, pretty much all the blame for our goal seems to be firmly resting at the feet of Evans (presumably for not stopping the cross) or Justin (presumably for not being there at the back stick)?

Where was Amartey then? Does he get off Scot free on this, sometimes, ridiculous forum?

Is he not expected to be watching where Zaha was? Or was he in no mans land?

HONEST replies would be nice...