Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Crystal Palace 1-1 LCFC - Post Match Thread

We must be doing well. I don't think I've ever seen the forum with this amount of pent up negativity. Amazing the hard on some have with having to be right at all costs.

24 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

It was, in a nutshell, why we won't win anything under Rodgers (not a criticism). I do hope we can shift some of the muck in January if it means we can then spend something. But we've been trying to shift the muck for years now.

People signed contracts,that Need to be honoured..!!

Been out so had a while to get my thoughts together.

I thought we made one or two many changes, but with the injuries we've had we probably had too. We had more than enough chances to win that, I won't go into too much detail about Iheanacho, I already have in his own thread, but for me he's not the long term solution and for me that's him finished here. His penalty was awful, about 12 inches to the keepers left and perfect height for him, I can't believe people were saying it was a decet penalty in the match thread! Kasper should have done better from the goal, but so should about 3 of our players in the build up, dreadful goal. Literally every cross or corner in our box is always met by an opposition player, we just let them have it, needs to be sorted out.

We should obviously be beating teams like Palace, but we need to reassess our expectations as fans, every week I see posts about keeping up with Liverpool or being in a title race, we're absolutely miles from them, the only way we'd be close is if we had no European football, so our 11 was fresh every week. Even in other threads now we're discussing being in the top 4 come the end of the season (which we might manage tbf), but for me we're not gonna achieve that, best we're getting is 5th or 6th, but I do hope I'm wrong.

Got to beat Newcastle now, no excuses.

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

Too many changes Stan

We need to rotate but we need to do it carefully. 

Who would you have started with today? Bearing in mind the amount of games played so far and in that, the fact we only played 48 hours ago, as well as some players still recovering from injury...

4 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Sure. But we weren't pretty much guaranteed to win today had we started a Vardy who played a game 48 hours prior.

We were all but guaranteed to win if he just brought him on whilst it was still 0-0. All the other changes would have worked fine if there was a capable striker on the pitch in any condition. 

I don't think Brendan is fully to blame. He made the changes for players welfare however I think he made too many and in hindsight he had to bring Youri and Vards on so maybe he should have started them, killed the game off and then subbed them? However the team fielded was strong enough to win but they didnt take their chances. They didnt take their chances in front of goal and mentally didn't take their chances either by not taking the game by the scruff of the neck. That is on the players too. I'm sure there was a lot of disappointment in that dressing room for a variety of reasons.

Just now, StanSP said:

But if we think the criticism is misguided or unwarranted, are we not allowed to defend him?

Rodgers wasn't fully to blame for today but some fans make out like he was. 

Of course you can yeah. But its everything. He can't be blameless all of the time. There has got to be a balance surely? I'm just as quick to praise him when he's getting things right

He wasn't fully to blame today, I actually thought we started the game quite well considering how weak I thought the lineup was. I just think the amount of changes was a tad overkill today

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

We were completely on top for 45mins, where we should be scoring 2 goals. That isn't from rotation. 

Yes we should, but come on, we should have made more clear chances against a piss poor Palace side. 
‘The game changed when we introduced Tielemans and Vardy.

15 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Im only telling the truth.

If you don’t like the truth then I don’t give a shiny shite

Their goal was a defensive calamity and it WAS coming. We had been warned

And it meant we drew a game we should have won. Although even more blame for that goes to Nacho 

Pointless hindsight is so 20/20. 

I presume our response to the swollen river of Palace chances should have been to swap Dan for Soyuncu? 

Edited by turtmcfly

People being fed up of certain people slagging Rodgers off at each and every opportunity they get, not even just when we don’t win, is equivalent to not being able to criticise him

10 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

He does win though because anyone questioning anything he does is instantly shot down by his excusers on here. Its tiresome! 

It's like you can't criticise the manager but not want him out. When did this become a forum where you can't talk about the Leicester managers pros and cons without being mocked and ridiculed

Not just aiming this at you btw

I see plenty of criticism get allowed. Idk why you’re surprised people get fed up of you lot that slag him off constantly, it’s not like you even reserve it for when we don’t win.

Brendan had to make a few changes IMO with the number of games coming up. Considering the team that was selected I was surprised just how much we dominated the game which is a sign of just how far the team has come. Iheanacho was on a hiding to nothing in this game - but agree we need another striker option which was considered in the summer but the finances were not there.

Looking at the positives the full backs were excellent and another superb goal from Barnes. Of course we should have won but I am still looking forward to the new year with a brilliant young team. Lets hope we are back in the ground before too long and above all we have a better year COVID wise with a return to normality.

Edited by Edingleyfox

5 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...as soon as he comes back the negative mental thoughts will come flooding back!!!

He is a confidence player, playing out of position and for him to have stepped up to take then pen was due to the shoot out he had with Perez where Nacho scores all 5 and Perez scores 4. He was not confident before the kick and I was shocked that he was selected to take it, His game went downhill and should have been taken out of the firing line a lot earlier.

Maybe, but it's a tricky balance, right? He needs to play to get confidence, so BR picking him for this game (giving Vardy a rest) seems like a good choice on face value. You have to put him in the firing line at some point and you (as a manager) have to show confidence/faith in him. Pull him off the pitch too early strikes me will probably kill his confidence even more. Loaning him into the Championship seems to me the only option other than cutting him loose completely. What we're doing at the moment feels like a damaging cycle. Maybe working with BR he can turn it around but it's such a gamble given we get results like today. 

Yes we should, but come on, we should have made more clear chances against a piss poor Palace side. 

We weren't even touched in that first 45, they had one 'chance' where Townsend hits it 5 yards wide. We could've been 3-0 up, matching Villa's in 90min. 

7 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Sure. But we weren't pretty much guaranteed to win today had we started a Vardy who played a game 48 hours prior.

Stop looking at Vardy as being on his knees this morning barely able to walk! He trained like the others and played 35 minutes. Hes not on the verge of arthritis! 

Rodgers gambled and it backfired and those he was so desperate to rest had to come on to help salvage something 

1 minute ago, Kopfkino said:

People being fed up of certain people slagging Rodgers off at each and every opportunity they get, not even just when we don’t win, is equivalent to not being able to criticise him

I see plenty of criticism get allowed. Idk why you’re surprised people get fed up of you lot that slag him off constantly, it’s not like you even reserve it for when we don’t win.

You don't have a clue what I constantly post so wind your neck in with your presumptions 

• Like 1

The game changed because Palace changed their own game plan and approach. I wanted Youri to come on at HT because I thought he'd flourish in the space Hamza was getting. As it was, Palace pushed up and pressed us higher, so Tielemans didn't actually do much when he came on.

Pundits mentioned after the game that Vardy changed it and I'll agree with that - his movement and presence alone takes out defenders. 

If Tielemans and Vardy start then we definitely go in to HT about 2-0 or 3-0 up. But hindsight is a wonderful thing and given Vardy's age and Youri's playing time recently, I didn't expect them to start.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Anyone can be clever with hindsight. If Brendan had fetched Ihenacho off at half time and we lost it would have been Brendans fault for subbing him.

We were resting players, it had to be done.

...totally agree we were resting players but the Nacho situation needed to be addressed!!!

He was not having a good gaming, his missed penalty and chances had affected him and he was going about fouling players unnecessarily due to his frustration. The commentators even commented that they had a feeling it was not going to be his day after he headed wide from 4 yards in the first half.

I was calling for a switch for Perez to become one of the striker and bring Gray on the right with Nacho taken out of the firing line. It is not due to hindsight but it was obvious a player was struggling to positively affect the game and we required a change upfront. 

• Like 1

Just now, StanSP said:

The game changed because Palace changed their own game plan and approach. I wanted Youri to come on at HT because I thought he'd flourish in the space Hamza was getting. As it was, Palace pushed up and pressed us higher, so Tielemans didn't actually do much when he came on.

Pundits mentioned after the game that Vardy changed it and I'll agree with that - his movement and presence alone takes out defenders. 

If Tielemans and Vardy start then we definitely go in to HT about 2-0 or 3-0 up. But hindsight is a wonderful thing and given Vardy's age and Youri's playing time recently, I didn't expect them to start.

Totally off topic but the use of the 0 conditional when talking about a specific game in the past is really confusing. 

Just now, mod hero said:

How did Demarai Gray pull rank on that free kick? Senior players (Tielemans should be telling him to step aside) mans never even got one on target in the 5 years he’s been here. Unbelievable 

That should be his last game for the club. Very bad to insist on the free kick, worse to screw it up.

• Like 1