Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
baldeagle

Hamza

Would’ve been a strange move to bring in Chalobah for Hamza - no real upgrade from what I’ve seen.

I hope the  lad can get some minutes and earn himself a good move in summer. He’s not the answer for us, so he needs to get a run of games in the second tier and see where his career takes him. Shame because I thought he could make it at City, but he’s never had enough in his game to properly breakthrough.

9 minutes ago, Kevin Russell said:

Would’ve been a strange move to bring in Chalobah for Hamza - no real upgrade from what I’ve seen.

I hope the  lad can get some minutes and earn himself a good move in summer. He’s not the answer for us, so he needs to get a run of games in the second tier and see where his career takes him. Shame because I thought he could make it at City, but he’s never had enough in his game to properly breakthrough.

Only thing I can think of is chalabah is bigger in terms of a physical presence.

12 minutes ago, scinnell said:

Start Hamza against Fulham- now that would be good man management 

Rodgers does need to get on the charm offensive and see if he can get Choudhury flying. There is a player in there, however rough around the edge. He's the one big surprise of this era that has been left behind, I thought he'd be the box to box player that Rodgers manages to get the best out of but so far he's not shown anything in that role and as a DCM he is inferior to Ndidi obviously and not as disciplined as Mendy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Rodgers does need to get on the charm offensive and see if he can get Choudhury flying. There is a player in there, however rough around the edge. He's the one big surprise of this era that has been left behind, I thought he'd be the box to box player that Rodgers manages to get the best out of but so far he's not shown anything in that role and as a DCM he is inferior to Ndidi obviously and not as disciplined as Mendy.

I agree with all that. Up to 18 months ago he had some decent games for us and looked promising.  The sending-offs and the fall-out from Klopp's comment really seem to have knocked him back and Rodgers has failed to progress him from that (for whatever reason).  Now he is in the nasty cycle of being given so little game time that in the few instances where he gets on he is so rusty, in terms of team play, that he has little chance of being able to impress himself onto the game.

He gets slated on here but it's easy to forget the decent games he's had.  Some say he can't pass but I seem to remember games where he's passed well, often forwards and insightfully, and I've particularly noticed his liking to give the instant pass, which is a useful tool in the modern game.  Naturally, these are the hardest passes to get right when you haven't had much game time.

As for the fear that it would be to risky to play him in a Premier game, I don't think his level could have sunk any lower than some of the non-combattants who were on the field for the Leeds embarrassment.  It's hard to see where he goes from here though. In spite of his positive comments, Rodgers seems to have lost all confidence in him (the lad's confidence must be at rock-bottom too), and it must be doubly devastating for him that a loan didn't materialise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

He could be brilliant.  I hope he gets the coaching and confidence to do so.

In an international u21 match, he looked to be controlling thing from DCM.  Then he got sent off at which point he stopped controlling things. 

A confident Hamza is a step up from Mendy imo.  I am aware he has to show soon  but if he does, he will contribute a lot.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, alanf0x said:

We want to win football matches, not just keep Hamza happy! Ruthless game! 

It’s not about keeping him happy. But it’s about developing a player.

Mendy is the better player but Hamza has more potential.

No matter how good Mendy is, we lose when Ndidi is out and Mendy plays.

Obviously this is not Mendy’s fault. But there’s a conversation to be had about Hamza.

Hamza needs to improve but if Bren works the same magic that he did with Soy and Ndidi then the whole team and club will benefit.

• Like 1

It would need to be a big turn around from Bren. Bren wanted Hamza to transition from DM to box-to-box but more or less gave up. To be fair, Bren’s also working on improving many other young players here. I think Hamza could do it—his incredible debut makes me think the lad could—but it would take some awesome man management, luck and perhaps the time and patience we don’t have.

• Like 1

Hamza has every day in training to show his worth to the squad. Doubt that Rodgers is going to hide from him what he thinks he's missing and needs to work on. If Hamza isn't playing its because he's not good enough....yet. A loan would have been huge for him to jump start his career. But our squad is thin and there's no one to take his place at the academy. Done with talking about the Academy. Its an unfortunate situation.

There seems to be a lot of blame on Brendan in this thread for not progressing him or coaching him good enough and that’s why he’s not progressed . Why has it always the managers fault it might be the case he’s just not very good,  have the footballing brain or even the drive to improve his own game . Harping back to the cup game where Brendan spent the whole match shouting  orders and coaxing Hamza and Gray through the entire game when there was younger players on the pitch shows where their level of football is . You shouldn’t have to talk a player through a whole game and I said exactly the same about Gray 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baldeagle said:

There seems to be a lot of blame on Brendan in this thread for not progressing him or coaching him good enough and that’s why he’s not progressed . Why has it always the managers fault it might be the case he’s just not very good,  have the footballing brain or even the drive to improve his own game . Harping back to the cup game where Brendan spent the whole match shouting  orders and coaxing Hamza and Gray through the entire game when there was younger players on the pitch shows where their level of football is . You shouldn’t have to talk a player through a whole game and I said exactly the same about Gray 

...just to add to your observation and seriously not being facetious!!!

In life and in any environment you have people who just do not progress in what ever role they are in.

If you have to constantly instruct someone and they fail to follow and implement you request, could it be that they themselves have a problem which precludes taking on board the instructions as it contradicts what they understand themselves. If for a better word we equate this to a dyslexic understanding where the processing of information is skewed.

In an ADHD sufferer you could find that a person does not wear a watch, apparently some have no concept of time and therefore the watch is irrelevant. With some their thoughts are not linear and leads to a lack of understanding. 

There are numerous other ways that they view the world around them, which to us unless we are aware of what they are going through, clouds our opinion as to who  they are.

Edited by sacreblueits442
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, majaco said:

He could be brilliant.  I hope he gets the coaching and confidence to do so.

In an international u21 match, he looked to be controlling thing from DCM.  Then he got sent off at which point he stopped controlling things. 

A confident Hamza is a step up from Mendy imo.  I am aware he has to show soon  but if he does, he will contribute a lot.

I doubt he could be, because he's never shown enough to ever be brilliant. And then the last highlighted point sums things up, trust. He's escaped numerous red cards by the skin of his teeth here, his tackling style is a liability. If your manager is going into games wondering if today will be the day you get sent off, then you're in trouble. 

55 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I doubt he could be, because he's never shown enough to ever be brilliant. And then the last highlighted point sums things up, trust. He's escaped numerous red cards by the skin of his teeth here, his tackling style is a liability. If your manager is going into games wondering if today will be the day you get sent off, then you're in trouble. 

The wolves game did it for Rodgers I think. Hasnt fully trusted him since then, certainly not as a holding midfielder.

On 02/02/2021 at 10:59, deep blue said:

I agree with all that. Up to 18 months ago he had some decent games for us and looked promising.  The sending-offs and the fall-out from Klopp's comment really seem to have knocked him back and Rodgers has failed to progress him from that (for whatever reason).  Now he is in the nasty cycle of being given so little game time that in the few instances where he gets on he is so rusty, in terms of team play, that he has little chance of being able to impress himself onto the game.

He gets slated on here but it's easy to forget the decent games he's had.  Some say he can't pass but I seem to remember games where he's passed well, often forwards and insightfully, and I've particularly noticed his liking to give the instant pass, which is a useful tool in the modern game.  Naturally, these are the hardest passes to get right when you haven't had much game time.

As for the fear that it would be to risky to play him in a Premier game, I don't think his level could have sunk any lower than some of the non-combattants who were on the field for the Leeds embarrassment.  It's hard to see where he goes from here though. In spite of his positive comments, Rodgers seems to have lost all confidence in him (the lad's confidence must be at rock-bottom too), and it must be doubly devastating for him that a loan didn't materialise.

I remember watching him at the KP against arsenal just before I got married in 2018...

He played further forward and played a couple of really cute, oblique passes that were on angles that other players weren't seeing.  He picked out runners and the passes broke the lines.  At the time, I remember thinking, jesus, this kid is going to go on to be some player. 

I think his speed and tackling have almost pigeonholed him into using a certain set of skills as a player, or being utilised by a manager in a certain way, that hasn't helped him to live up to that early promise. 

I still think there is a good player in there, but at his age, he needs the right amount of game time to progress. 

In reality, it's a shame he never really got that exposure.  Maybe a full year at the top end of the championship would help him to "do a barnes" or a KDH (albeit, we don't know how well he will progress in the premier league)

there is a real risk that he has missed his window of opportunity, which is a crying shame.

• Like 2

On 02/02/2021 at 08:32, teblin said:

Only thing I can think of is chalabah is bigger in terms of a physical presence.

I think the key factor is that we’d replace a relatively unimportant squad player that doesn’t want to be here with a relatively unimportant squad player that does want to be here. Would’ve been about keeping Hamza happy and getting him some gametime for the moment, especially if he’s in Rodgers plans for the future like BR says he is.

Let's be honest, whatever your perspective on his ability / best role, we'd all agree he needs to be playing. I prefer a loan out to a sale. I think he's been denied that due to injuries we have at present; which is a shame as one Ndidi/Praet are both fit, he again is looking at the odd cup cameo and probably won't even get a game in the European stuff now.

5 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

I remember watching him at the KP against arsenal just before I got married in 2018...

He played further forward and played a couple of really cute, oblique passes that were on angles that other players weren't seeing.  He picked out runners and the passes broke the lines.  At the time, I remember thinking, jesus, this kid is going to go on to be some player. 

I think his speed and tackling have almost pigeonholed him into using a certain set of skills as a player, or being utilised by a manager in a certain way, that hasn't helped him to live up to that early promise. 

I still think there is a good player in there, but at his age, he needs the right amount of game time to progress. 

In reality, it's a shame he never really got that exposure.  Maybe a full year at the top end of the championship would help him to "do a barnes" or a KDH (albeit, we don't know how well he will progress in the premier league)

there is a real risk that he has missed his window of opportunity, which is a crying shame.

.....I have previously said the same, what we are seeing in his game is not the player that we have seen in the U23s!!!

He has definitely been pigeonholed in respect of his "action man" performances and his game has a lot more to offer.

22 hours ago, SO1 said:

Hamza has every day in training to show his worth to the squad. Doubt that Rodgers is going to hide from him what he thinks he's missing and needs to work on. If Hamza isn't playing its because he's not good enough....yet. A loan would have been huge for him to jump start his career. But our squad is thin and there's no one to take his place at the academy. Done with talking about the Academy. Its an unfortunate situation.

I know this is a fairly innocuous comment. I know there's truth in it. But you have to remember that there's a human not a machine there. I  have a low pressure job with a thankfully supportive boss. And I still find motivation difficult. Hamza knows Bren wants him to transform into a box-to-box midfielder. And he knows Bren will give more time to the development of Fofana, Justin and Thomas. And he knows he's third choice defensive midfielder. And he knows Bren is happy to loan, or even sell, him to another club. Hamza needs to work hard--and I hope he does well tonight--but I don't think football coaching is a one way street.