Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Newcastle 1-2 LCFC - Post Match Thread

52 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

Vardy’s movement is world class. If he is at the likes of Man City or Spurs he would be scoring even more. In this game he got himself into brilliant positions and could have easily scored at least two.

Rodgers so fortunate to have managed two of the most prolific strikers in world football in Vardy and Suarez.

Both have different strengths of course but both capable of absolutely dominating a defense with toughness, speed, and skill.

That shot that hit the post was sick.

Edited by SO1

7 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

It is astounding when you consider that we've won more points today than Sheffield United have all season. 

You have to feel for their fans as it must be soul destroying. 

Their only hope is that they stayed up when in a very similar position in 1990-91 in the old top flight, this season 30 years ago when they were winless from August 1990 right up to New Year's Day in 1991 - and only had 4 points to their name  - Chris Wilder was also a player for them at the time, ironically and when Dave/Harry Bassett was manager there. I'm surprised more people don't recall that on here! However I can't see a repeat this time as they haven't got a good enough target man up front this season that you need - like Brian Deane!

Proof Sheffield United had returned to the top flight after two successive promotions, and it soon appeared that perhaps First Division survival was a bridge too far, with the club going 16 matches without a win at the start of the season, leaving the club bottom of the division on Christmas Day with only 4 points. However, a run of seven straight victories at the turn of the year lifted United from 20th to 12th, and, although the winning streak eventually came to a halt, it was more than enough to ensure United's survival in 13th, twelve points clear of relegation.

Edited by Guy

On Newcastle, they spent the same on Joelinton and Almiron as we spent on Tielemans, Maddison, Albrighton, Vardy, and Barnes.

Barnes has more goals this season than the two of them combined since they signed for Newcastle.

They are really awful, I keep hearing complaints that they don’t spend enough from Newcastle supporters, but really they spend their money really poorly. 
They appear to buy a couple of big players every season and other than Perez I can’t think of anyone they’ve sold for big money.

We were by far the better side, they looked completely clueless and even though they pulled one back, you never really thought they’d equalise.

Having watched them and others a few times this season, they I would say are a worse team than Fulham. They have probably had good fortune this season in late penalties getting them back into games, where as Fulham have missed a few penalties.

I would have Newcastle finishing 4th bottom this season.

Crysyal Palace

Fulham 
Newcastle 

Brighton

Shelf Utd

WBA

If Brighton pick up some points and sign someone who can get them 10 goals for the season in January then it could be look over your shoulder time for Newcastle.

14 hours ago, Webbo said:

If you're defending a lead you'd probably prefer Albrighton to Under. 

Best way to defend a lead is to keep pushing forward and score another goal, but not everyone agrees with my thinking.

Albrighton can be attacking as well as defensive though so that flexibility, means I probably would prefer albrighton, Under I feel is suited to games like the palace game.  Is a shame he was injured.

It’s not surprising Albrighton looked knackered yesterday. He literally went from a winger front three position and then sprinted back every time we lost the ball to be ten foot in front of the back back three in line with Castagne as part of a back five then ran forward again into the press when the ball was on his side of the park. I’m willing to bet he covered as much if not more ground than any other player. It’s his off the ball work that goes so unnoticed. Under isn’t even in the same defensive stratosphere as Albrighton.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FerrisBueller said:

Good 3 points, both goals were well worked, could have had a few more. Nice to see Cags back, gonna have some serious selection headaches soon.

Little nervy at times, the ball went across our six yard box a few too many times for my liking, a more switched on forward could have got a couple there.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what would happen if they awarded that peno for handball? (seemed pretty blatant to me), as we scored from the play straight after.

I have no idea but I did remark to my partner that knowing our luck they'll probably bring the play back and make us take the penalty.

15 hours ago, Vazman said:

I agree thought Under would have bought something to the game, not sure he will want to stay after a loan spell without game time, be a shame as he has looked good on the odd chances he has had, I'm sure there must be a good reason why.

Maybe !!

it really would be a shame to see this talent leave as shown in Europa games he can be devastating down the wing, hopefully we’ll get to see him more over this second half of the season and in Europa games I really rate the lad think he’ll do big things for us !

I think there was a warning there to us yesterday when Newcastle introduced Carroll and they 'went for it'.

As pedestrian as they were for most of the game the last 15 was very uncomfortable and I'd were honest we crept over the line. I haven't seen us behave like that when needed, that could purely be down to not having a target man clearly. But there was no doubting the approach caused new problems and again gives evidence to support the need for a plan b where necessary. 

Add to that, would be great to have a more physical outlet we could introduce at say 70 mins and relieve Vardy of the burden.

16 hours ago, oxtonfox said:

Love to prove them wrong. T

here's a reluctance to discuss Leicester, apart from in a semi-dismissive manner. These commentators are so much more comfortable talking about those six teams and their managers. They build discussion around that. Sadly they will for ever continue to do so as it's their bread and butter. By sitting in the top six as we have done for 70 plus weeks now makes these sheep slightly uncomfortable. 

To be fair to Sky we get loads of coverage and disscusion of our players during the transfer window.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Blanchflower78 said:

I think there was a warning there to us yesterday when Newcastle introduced Carroll and they 'went for it'.

As pedestrian as they were for most of the game the last 15 was very uncomfortable and I'd were honest we crept over the line. I haven't seen us behave like that when needed, that could purely be down to not having a target man clearly. But there was no doubting the approach caused new problems and again gives evidence to support the need for a plan b where necessary. 

Add to that, would be great to have a more physical outlet we could introduce at say 70 mins and relieve Vardy of the burden.

..we have a tendency to go negative and pull everyone back, with no outlet!!!

We could easily have dropped 2 more points with our game management yesterday. 

Looking for Vardy to stay upfront with either Barnes pushed wide where we can clear up field and still cause the opposition problems when we are being bombarded with crosses. Kicking it anywhere is a bad habit to get into and need someone to be brave and bring the ball out of defence. In that instance so long as Barnes or Vardy do not go too soon,  then we are in. 

2 hours ago, Blanchflower78 said:

To be fair, after they scored they never looked like scoring again. The had a bit of possession and through the ball into the box, but never did I feel they were going to equalise.

5 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

We could easily have dropped 2 more points with our game management yesterday

Looking for Vardy to stay upfront with either Barnes pushed wide where we can clear up field and still cause the opposition problems when we are being bombarded with crosses. Kicking it anywhere is a bad habit to get into and need someone to be brave and bring the ball out of defence. In that instance so long as Barnes or Vardy do not go too soon,  then we are in. 

How so? We were never in any danger after they scored? I don’t think Kasper had to make a save. I thought we played out the game pretty comfortably, took the ball into the corner and played out time.

3 hours ago, Nick said:

It’s not surprising Albrighton looked knackered yesterday. He literally went from a winger front three position and then sprinted back every time we lost the ball to be ten foot in front of the back back three in line with Castagne as part of a back five then ran forward again into the press when the ball was on his side of the park. I’m willing to bet he covered as much if not more ground than any other player. It’s his off the ball work that goes so unnoticed. Under isn’t even in the same defensive stratosphere as Albrighton.

Under might Grow into that position, if he gets gametime and we buy him...I Hope we do..

Its something I dont understand, how some Posters cant Read the game, and vastly underrate the man

what we have with Albrighton, especially his skill -set, reading of the game, on & off the ball..

Plus probably One One the best crosses of the ball, & actually recognised by pundits & Oppo players alike..

He has a tremendous mental-strength, probably the strongest in the squad of the Front 6...

His style projects self belief ,and is always looking for that ball to Vardy, and rightly after Running 25-40 yards, expects somebody to be in the Middle

to Meet his cross...Praet,Perez, havent his success, Gray couldnt get near his quality, and Barnes doesn't have yet his eye for the move or game..I

Hes Not a speedy-gonzales,Not a dazzling Tricky micky,...Hes better..!!

1 minute ago, Aus Fox said:

How so? We were never in any danger after they scored? I don’t think Kasper had to make a save. I thought we played out the game pretty comfortably, took the ball into the corner and played out time.

...we took the ball into the corner in the very last seconds, JJ drawing a foul finally nailed the win!!!

We were at sixes and sevens prior to that, them having pulled a goal back. Carroll was causing us problems in the air and on the ground and we struggled to contain them with last ditch tackles and a point where they were appealing for a penalty. We had situations where we broke and tried to play a man in instead of keeping hold of the ball and it was either JJ's intelligence or Rodgers order that we finally took it to the corner flag.

Last fixture of a busy Christmas schedule. 3 points. That was the most important element.

Could we have played better, yes. Would I have been happy with a better performance and less points, absolutely not. All about the points for me.

Time now to recuperate, get more players fit after injury and push on for the rest of the season and resume our Europa League campaign.

15 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

We could easily have dropped 2 more points with our game management yesterday. 

you have to remember the game has Two sides,Newcastle  in Making those Two subs, it was obvious they would be pumping it forward from all Angles und

positions...Earlier Newcastle tried to walk it in...Soyu was the right sub-choice...

# Justin One of our better players, Made an inexperienced blunder,though I wont blame him,but it handed them that 5 Minute initiative & goal

# We had Two breaks, and didn t make use of them, Barnes should of sealed it..

# IMO Ndidi & Barnes should have been covering  Carolls 2nd uptake  position,for the goal  with more meaning & zest....

## While on Top,  Vardy 3 times couldnt Read the offside-line...I

but thats football. The fact we are in the Top 4 means,this Chronic-injury hit side is showing its slowly learning, and with star Quality Players slowly Building

up Match fitness, we went Away against an awkward  opponent and faced up....Some fans have to get Off the expectation-bus, We are not Manutd/L'pool/Man.city/Nor even Chelsea and Spurs....but we are Mixing it with them & at present showing we can better them occasionally.

Our consistent needs & potential, will be First shown, when Rodgers can find selection consistency/availability of our Quality Automatic First teamers, 

then see them Build the rythme & gametime together...

Oh Yes those so called Top Teams might of been struggling,but they still have deeper Quality rescources, than the  'we'  rest.

The challenge for us wannabes, is to consistently Pump out high Class performances, and grind out those horrible Ugly points...also consistently, for 3-6 seasons.

Ifs,buts,could ofs,should of . Is found on the playing Side of the whitewash...

So far Rodgers has selected the players who have created the chances to actually win games....If any failings thats been on the "selected" Not converting

those game defining chances...

Even reaching our best period & era in history,there will be Bad moments,even Complete Bad Days at the office, I believe even though critic is fair dues,

we shouldnt however go out chasing every Slip & error, to gain some imaginary pundit points....We should as Leicester fans Enjoy,encourage and support quietly our team going on their Merry way,Let the Media pundits hit on our avg-performances,our  dismall 20-30 minutes, rave about our special moments & players,while

we well Off the Radar Keep rolling along....Recognise even spite those slippery ,struggling moments we are competing where it Hurts those traditional Top 6..

I also hope,Soton,Villa,Everton can join us, by picking up those Quiet points, Then those so called Top  Teams & managers can Feel some Stronger peer pressure.

Then its up to us to Show/earn who has That little Bit extra to wade und raid into the Top 6, Then Top 4...

1 hour ago, Aus Fox said:

Calum Wilson hit the ball tamely but was offside IIRC, however, a good chance was created. 

1 hour ago, TJB-fox said:

We were never in doubt of the 3 points yesterday after we’d scored the first, regardless of the Soyuncu sub. Peoples judgement are clouded by the nerves at the end of the game. We were in total control and saw it out pretty well

We gave away needless free kicks and corners, as well as allowing crosses, any of which, with a momentary lack of concentration, a slip or an unlucky bounce of the ball, could have led to a goal out of nothing.  As happened with the goal we gave away - Carroll (ironically, the danger sub that we were trying to counter) allowed the freedom of the penalty area and an unconvincing poor attempt by Barnes to block his shot.

I can never agree with handing the initiative to the opposition on a plate and trying to shut up shop.  Surely, a better way of keeping up our momentum and stopping them from taking control in midfield and launching attacks would have been to send on Praet to stiffen up our midfield.

Edited by deep blue
misspell

31 minutes ago, deep blue said:

We gave away needless free kicks and corners, as well as allowing crosses, any of which, with a momentary lack of concentration, a slip or an unlucky bounce of the ball, could have led to a goal out of nothing.  As happened with the goal we gave away - Carroll (ironically, the danger sub that we were trying to counter) allowed the freedom of the penalty area and an unconvincing poor attempt by Barnes to block his shot.

I can never agree with handing the initiative to the opposition on a plate and trying to shut up shop.  Surely, a better way of keeping up our momentum and stopping them from taking control in midfield and launching attacks would have been to send on Prate to stiffen up our midfield.

But it didn’t? Surely you could say that about every game. Imagine if in every game in 2015/2016 we had a momentary lack of concentration which gave away a goal and we didn’t win the league? lol

We didn’t help ourselves but we never looked like conceding a second goal. It was ironic that Carroll scored shortly after we brought on another centre half to see the game out but you can’t put that down to the Soyuncu sub, we’ve been shit at set pieces all season. 

1 minute ago, TJB-fox said:

But it didn’t? Surely you could say that about every game. Imagine if in every game in 2015/2016 we had a momentary lack of concentration which gave away a goal and we didn’t win the league? lol

We didn’t help ourselves but we never looked like conceding a second goal. It was ironic that Carroll scored shortly after we brought on another centre half to see the game out but you can’t put that down to the Soyuncu sub, we’ve been shit at set pieces all season. 

All of which reinforces my argument.  I feel we had a better chance of hanging on if we had retained the initiative rather than tamely handing it over.  And you say "but we didn't". On the contrary, but we did - for the first goal - and the same thing could have happened just as easily for a second goal.

We are obviously at irreconcilable odds in our opinions so I'll leave it there.

• Haha 1