Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Newcastle 1-2 LCFC - Post Match Thread

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Under is another example of us being too cheap when trying to fill a "premium" position in the side.

A right winger needs to be next summer's top priority. Someone in the 30-40m 

Under has it in him just needs the chances to start 

8 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Fofana really is the dogs bollocks. Not seen a more accomplished central defender in England at his age.

He was great in supporting Barnes in the run that led to the first goal. His first instinct is to attack from defence which is really great to see.

I'd say he still needs to improve on general distribution and decision making. He was also taking 5 to 6 touches at the back today when Evans takes 2 to 3, so needs to speed that up a little. But that will all come with experience. Going to be some player in a few years and hopefully still with us!

8 minutes ago, TheF1Bob said:

The sub and the change of formation wasn't the caused of their goal. Just more lackluster defending in set-pieces as per usual.

And with that, still created quite a few chances after their goal and had the chance to kill the game once and for all.

This was just Leicester being Leicester when it comes making life hard for themselves. That's all. :)

You misunderstand. We didn't defend the corner well, you're right about that, but the formation change invited them onto us, and gave them more opportunities. Bar the one game against Man City teams have got at us more with three at the back, not just this season, others too. Last season we were comfortable against Burnley for example until we brought on Big Wes and we only just got 2-1 win after a very questionable decision to rule out a chris wood goal. Brighton cut through us the other week until we changed to 4 and dominated. Fulham and West ham ripped us apart. Even Sheff Utd who can't by a goal or win were coming away with a draw. It doesn't suit us and late in a game where we had control of it was poor game management to give Newcastle the initiative.

You're looking at the goal in isolation rather than the whole game. And if we are making it hard for ourselves late on, can you not see a pattern, perhaps to do with late defensive subs.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 2

Just now, rachhere said:

I am sure we are going to see a lot more of Under now that we have reverted back to a back 4 and he's coming back from injury. No doubt he will play against Stoke and we will take it from there. 

Have to be really careful with hamstrings. Hopefully 20 or 30 vs. Stoke would be perfect.

57 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

Sky sports hate us. They’re full of woke bullshit. Frankly I’d rather not watch the game than watch on sky

It's the opposite - if they were more 'woke', we'd get more attention as they'd make sure to give sides like us their due rather than completely obsess over the bigger clubs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Thought Barnes was top notch again today 

When he gets the ball he drove forward, put defenders on the back foot and tried to make something happen. He did the same again and again even when things didn’t come off 

Going to be a hell of a player if he can improve his finishing 

Hmm. Thought he was poor, except for his driving run in the build up to the first goal? Maybe I’ve been spoiled by his last two games?

13 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

You misunderstand. We didn't defend the corner well, you're right about that, but the formation change invited them onto us, and gave them more opportunities. Bar the one game against Man City teams have got at us more with three at the back, not just this season, others too. Last season we were comfortable against Burnley for example until we brought on Big Wes and we only just got 2-1 win after a very questionable decision to rule out a chris wood goal. Brighton cut through us the other week until we changed to 4 and dominated. Fulham and West ham ripped us apart. Even Sheff Utd who can't by a goal or win were coming away with a draw. It doesn't suit us and late in a game where we had control of it was poor game management to give Newcastle the initiative.

You're looking at the goal in isolation rather than the whole game. And if we are making it hard for ourselves late on, can you not see a pattern, perhaps to do with late defensive subs.

Agree, I've yet to see us look any better when trying to defend a lead by putting an extra CB on, You only need 2, 3 get in the way of each other and you have one less player outside the box to keep possession with so it comes back quicker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, STEVIE B said:

Not worth watching the build up or post match. Just switch on at KO time, then off straight after. Will always be same for any side unless it's Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City, 'Pool or Spurs involved 

That's what I do. Tbh even if they did deign to do any analysis of us it would be uninformed, uneducated drivel, so wouldn't be worth listening to anyway. 

• Like 2

Tbh I thought we were quite poor today, but got the result against a poor, but resolute team. 

The amount I was screaming to put the ball on the edge of the box, instead of towards Vardy, as he had about 3 defenders around him, pissed my family off no end😄

Take the points, get a rest and move on. 

A good days work

4 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

giphy.gif

Loved this goal! Castagne / Maddison / Albrighton / Tielemans all superb in this move!

Blown away by the level of our one touch passing/deflecting of the ball in our attacking. So fast its like we read each others minds. Is it magic? Luck? or knowing where your teammates are on the field. Seems like we are getting better and faster all the time. The one touch goal was superb.

1 hour ago, Paddy. said:

**** Sky Sports. 3rd in the league and that's all we get? Disrespectful 

Nah ...   I like being under the radar...  seems to suit us better than having a long pole shoved up our arse and paraded  around as a ‘contender’ ...  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

The issue for this game wasn't about whether we can, or can't, play five at the back. When you decide to switch systems in games it's often difficult for players to instantly adapt to new roles. This is particularly important for the defensive players. 

So why switch to 5 atb with 10 minutes to go and, almost immediately in this case, have the issue of deciding who is picking up who for set pieces? Why not put an extra midfielder on to reduce space?

Personally I never understand why managers (not just BR) never put a fresh player on up front with pace. We know the losing team has no choice, but to commit bodies forward and chase the game - so stretch the game up front. 

If you know of anyone in the squad let us know. The two we have were both playing.

I know what you mean though, Managers generally prefer to put more bodies in the Box. That way it's harder to get through. Barne's should have got a block on Carrolls Goal.

Though it wasn't his fault he had afree space in the Box. More for Brendan to work on.