Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Newcastle 1-2 LCFC - Post Match Thread

The issue for this game wasn't about whether we can, or can't, play five at the back. When you decide to switch systems in games it's often difficult for players to instantly adapt to new roles. This is particularly important for the defensive players. 

So why switch to 5 atb with 10 minutes to go and, almost immediately in this case, have the issue of deciding who is picking up who for set pieces? Why not put an extra midfielder on to reduce space?

Personally I never understand why managers (not just BR) never put a fresh player on up front with pace. We know the losing team has no choice, but to commit bodies forward and chase the game - so stretch the game up front. 

First half wasn't our greatest performance to say the least. 2nd half was much better, moved the ball around much quicker and really started to carve them open. Shame we conceded late on however. Highlighted those 3 (Evans, Soy and Fofana) haven't played together enough 

9 minutes ago, Webbo said:

If my auntie had balls etc, I know, but if we hadn't missed that pen against Palace, we'd be top now.

Tbh all the blokes at the Working men’s club said she’d had a bit of work down there so maybe she did have balls at one point? 

• Haha 2

Great Result for the Foxes today keeps us in the right end of the table for Brendans CL aspirations but we certainly made it hard for ourselves but at least we got the 3 points but You really gotta feel for Under with the lack of game time what the hell does he have to do to get an EPL shame?

Solid away performance, in the end. Thought we were depressingly ‘West Ham’ again in the first half. A bit quicker and a tad more direct second half changed that. Tielemans was superb. The finish absolute class. Shout outs for Justin, Fof and Wilf, too. 

Doesn't matter who you put at the back or what formation you might have, we will always concede soft goals in set pieces.

Just have to make sure we have an enough of a lead to accommodate such a thing.

Great win though and the goals were class. :scarf:

2 minutes ago, justfoxes said:

Great Result for the Foxes today keeps us in the right end of the table for Brendans CL aspirations but we certainly made it hard for ourselves but at least we got the 3 points but You really gotta feel for Under with the lack of game time what the hell does he have to do to get an EPL shame?

I agree thought Under would have bought something to the game, not sure he will want to stay after a loan spell without game time, be a shame as he has looked good on the odd chances he has had, I'm sure there must be a good reason why.

2 minutes ago, TheF1Bob said:

Doesn't matter who you put at the back or what formation you might have, we will always concede soft goals in set pieces.

Just have to make sure we have an enough of a lead to accommodate such a thing.

Great win though and the goals were class. :scarf:

But if the formation invites the team onto us, allowing them to get in around our box more, and therefore get more set pieces, then that is down to the formation.

We're 2 up with 10 to go. Keep the ball, and keep doing what we've been doing that's barely given them a sniff all game. If Rodgers was worried about Carroll, then replace one of the CB with Soyuncu, don't add him.

• Like 4

I do wonder how Ünder or another right winger has a proper future here, I don't see a situation where he gets regular games. If he doesn't start,he is only ever coming on in games where we are losing and that's really no environment to prosper long term. Hopefully he gets some chances but its too easy to leave him out knowing we don't have to pay £24m for him, just the option to.

Solid win, Soyuncu coming on is another insight in to Rodgers having 3 superb CB's and 3 full backs that he has to keep happy and it's impacting on his natural attacking insti cts, it might well make us a more efficient team at collecting results in the process but it is frustrating as well as we all want to see us attacking more.

Tielemans and Maddison are probably the best two creative midfielders we have ever had together and aren't many teams in the league with w to match. Great goals. Take the points and move on. 

Squeeky bum time at the end but held on for 3 points. Nice to be able to grind out a result. 

Barnes is turning into a cracking player and think he will quickly be starting for England. Today I think he tried too hard at times and should have passed rather than try to beat his man. 

It will be nice if we can get 3 or 4 wins in a row now to open up a bit of gap to those behind us. 

Just now, Vazman said:

I agree thought Under would have bought something to the game, not sure he will want to stay after a loan spell without game time, be a shame as he has looked good on the odd chances he has had, I'm sure there must be a good reason why.

He's been injured(hamstring). Actually made the bench today which is a good sign. I doubt Rodgers wanted to change the chemistry of the team on the field until he decided to take Maddison off and go with a Defensive sub. Plenty of matches to play.

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I do wonder how Ünder or another right winger has a proper future here, I don't see a situation where he gets regular games. If he doesn't start,he is only ever coming on in games where we are losing and that's really no environment to prosper long term. Hopefully he gets some chances but its too easy to leave him out knowing we don't have to pay £24m for him, just the option to.

Solid win, Soyuncu coming on is another insight in to Rodgers having 3 superb CB's and 3 full backs that he has to keep happy and it's impacting on his natural attacking insti cts, it might well make us a more efficient team at collecting results in the process but it is frustrating as well as we all want to see us attacking more.

Tielemans and Maddison are probably the best two creative midfielders we have ever had together and aren't many teams in the league with w to match. Great goals. Take the points and move on. 

Under is another example of us being too cheap when trying to fill a "premium" position in the side.

A right winger needs to be next summer's top priority. Someone in the 30-40m range.

• Like 1

Thought Barnes was top notch again today 

When he gets the ball he drove forward, put defenders on the back foot and tried to make something happen. He did the same again and again even when things didn’t come off 

Going to be a hell of a player if he can improve his finishing 

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

But if the formation invites the team onto us, allowing them to get in around our box more, and therefore get more set pieces, then that is down to the formation.

We're 2 up with 10 to go. Keep the ball, and keep doing what we've been doing that's barely given them a sniff all game. If Rodgers was worried about Carroll, then replace one of the CB with Soyuncu, don't add him.

The sub and the change of formation wasn't the caused of their goal. Just more lackluster defending in set-pieces as per usual.

And with that, still created quite a few chances after their goal and had the chance to kill the game once and for all.

This was just Leicester being Leicester when it comes making life hard for themselves. That's all. :)

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Under is another example of us being too cheap when trying to fill a "premium" position in the side.

A right winger needs to be next summer's top priority. Someone in the 30-40m range.

Wheres the money coming from in the middle of a pandemic that has no end in sight.

Patience.