Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LestaLad

Odsonne Edouard

3 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

I understand the second striker might not be as good but we need to be getting a player in so Vardy can’t teach him not when he’s done and dusted. I don’t mind Nacho but it says something when he doesn’t even start when Vardy is injured.

Interesting point here - it begs the question, WHY did we buy Nacho, WHAT did we think we were buying?

Did we buy Nacho with the intention he was the eventual successor, a support striker in a two, a project?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wardyfox86 said:

Vinicius Junior

Shane Long

Cenk Tosun

Andy Carroll

Divock Origi

Wesley

Michy Batshuayi

Just some of the, frankly, average Premier League strikers sat on the bench week in, week out. We aren't the calibre of club to have a prime Solskjaer on the bench. 

Iheanacho is going through a rough patch, but only a few months ago he was doing the business in the Europa. If Edouard comes in, great, but Iheanacho as a backup is about the level can expect. 

I see your point but most of these are 3rd choice strikers... not second choice. 

Spurs have Son and Kane. 

Ston- Adams and Ings

Everton - DCL/richalason/ rodriguez

Newcastle- Joelinton/ wilson

Palace- Benteke/zaha/ayew

Liverpool - are short but obviously can operate in a different way 

We dont have the flexibility imo because of our system. If we want to play the same way we need another back up its as simple as that. 

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

I see your point but most of these are 3rd choice strikers... not second choice. 

Spurs have Son and Kane. 

Ston- Adams and Ings

We dont have the flexibility imo because of our system. If we want to play the same way we need another back up its as simple as that. 

Most of the players you mention regularly start in various positions, and can play up top when needed. We need the same. We can't "upgrade" Iheanacho with a better out-and-out striker. 

We should be looking at a quality RW who can also play as a striker, which means upgrading Perez. I don't mind Perez in as much as I've seen some tripe in the blue shirt, but he's largely ineffective. 

Edited by wardyfox86
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

All of these players are starters for their clubs - Son, Richarlison, Rodriguez, Joelinton, Zaha and Ayew all play wide mostly, Southampton play two up top.

Ayoze Perez plays wide for us and can also play up front. The fact is we haven't needed to give him a consistent run of games like Richarlison, Son, Zaha and Ayew have all had as a central striker because Vardy has played 53 of the 57 league games we've played since he signed.

Spurs' backup is Carlos Vinicius, who has hardly had a kick. Before then they had Janssen and Llorente who struggled to had an impact.

United had Ighalo and have since brought in an ageing Cavani, happy to pick up his big wage and sit on the bench (although Martial is far more injury prone than Vardy).

Everton's cover is Tosun.

Newcastle have got Gayle.

Palace have just brought in Mateta from Mainz, and had Wickham last season.

Origi is crap.

Look at Wolves with Cutrone and then Fabio Silva.

Starting centre forwards are difficult enough to find, at least ones who will score you 15 goals a season at least. We've got one who scores 20 a season and keeps himself very fit. How do you convince anyone better than Iheanacho to come here and play that role?

But thats sort of my point. They all have the flexibility to move players around to cover it and operate almost just as well. We dont. 

Spurs move son up top and have top quality options like Begwijn or Bale. 

The jury is still out on perez and hopefully he shines. But my gut feeling is we are more likely to go the way Wolves have 

Edited by Lambert09

4 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I doubt we do this. 

It's four games, he's just bigged up Perez, you could try and argue that's some 5D chess to try and talk the price down but lets be honest, it's probably not happening.

We'll just suck it up and cope.

Minded to agree with this. More likely in the summer, when Edouard is cheaper?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lambert09 said:

But thats sort of my point. They all have the flexibility to move players around to cover it and operate almost just as well. We dont. 

Spurs move son up top and have top quality options like Begwijn or Bale. 

The jury is still out on perez and hopefully he shines. But my gut feeling is we are more likely to go the way Wolves have 

But Vardy is nowhere near as prone to injury as Kane, so we don't need to waste big wages on a cover player like that.

Spurs' wage bill and finances are incomparable to ours. It's like saying well look at Real Madrid. We will never, ever compete with Spurs' finances.

Quality squad depth is extremely difficult, in fact virtually impossible without qualifying for Europe every year without fail. And centre forward is the most difficult position to find depth without a doubt.

1 minute ago, jeffschlupp said:

But Vardy is nowhere near as prone to injury as Kane, so we don't need to waste big wages on a cover player like that.

Spurs' wage bill and finances are incomparable to ours. It's like saying well look at Real Madrid. We will never, ever compete with Spurs' finances.

Quality squad depth is extremely difficult, in fact virtually impossible without qualifying for Europe every year without fail. And centre forward is the most difficult position to find depth without a doubt.

of course the profile might not be as high but if you look at Che adams as an example someone who would have been willing to come, reasonable fee, upward trajectory minimal wages. 

If the person is good enough they also give us the option of changing shape. Honestly Iheanacho was the right type of move, it just hast worked out how we expected. 

5 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

of course the profile might not be as high but if you look at Che adams as an example someone who would have been willing to come, reasonable fee, upward trajectory minimal wages. 

If the person is good enough they also give us the option of changing shape. Honestly Iheanacho was the right type of move, it just hast worked out how we expected. 

You're Che Adams in the summer of 2019. You can either go to a club that finished 16th playing 4-4-2 and whose top scorer in the previous season got 7 goals, or join a team that play one up front, 4-3-3, with the club's greatest ever player leading the line with three years left on his contract. Oh, and a club who spent £55m on two players to compete with Vardy, both of which have seen their careers stall at best. It's a no brainer for a player.

As I say, there are so few CFs that actually score goals on a regular basis, anyone that does is going to go to a team where he is the main man. 

3 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

You're Che Adams in the summer of 2019. You can either go to a club that finished 16th playing 4-4-2 and whose top scorer in the previous season got 7 goals, or join a team that play one up front, 4-3-3, with the club's greatest ever player leading the line with three years left on his contract. Oh, and a club who spent £55m on two players to compete with Vardy, both of which have seen their careers stall at best. It's a no brainer for a player.

As I say, there are so few CFs that actually score goals on a regular basis, anyone that does is going to go to a team where he is the main man. 

But were not in 2019 right now, I think youre missing how much of a draw we would be to any young players right now. 

We have a crazy ammount of games lined up including a Europa league campaign. A very realistic chance of qualifying for europe next year. One of the best training grounds and coaches in the world. 

And a 34 year old striker who could drop in ability at any stage ( feel horrible writing it) 

By all accounts coming in as a back up striker for us is a great gig for someone and one that many would snap your hands off if given the opportunity. 

10 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

But were not in 2019 right now, I think youre missing how much of a draw we would be to any young players right now. 

We have a crazy ammount of games lined up including a Europa league campaign. A very realistic chance of qualifying for europe next year. One of the best training grounds and coaches in the world. 

And a 34 year old striker who could drop in ability at any stage ( feel horrible writing it) 

By all accounts coming in as a back up striker for us is a great gig for someone and one that many would snap your hands off if given the opportunity. 

But is sitting on our bench a better career move for a 21-23 year old centre forward who's just scored 20-25 goals in the Championship/Dutch/Belgian/Portuguese/Scottish league etc. a better move than joining a mid-table club like Palace or Newcastle and starting every week? For me it isn't. The signing of any top up and coming forward will only be achievable once the decline from Vardy is crystal clear. And let's be honest, it doesn't look like it's coming any time soon (touch wood) and he has another 2.5 years on his contract to boot.

I don't believe there is anyone out there who is better than Iheanacho willing to be backup to Jamie Vardy. There is a reason Barcelona have got players like Martin Braithwaite as forward cover for Messi.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

Spurs have Son and Kane. 

Ston- Adams and Ings

From that list:

Son is a winger really. 

Adams is not very good and less popular amongst saints fans than iheanacho is with ours

Joelinton has scored about 4 goals total

Benteke hasn't scored over 3 goals for about 4 years and Zaha is a winger.

Only DCL plays upfront from the Everton list aswell. 

A secondary striker isn't going to get 20 goals a season because they dont play regularly.  I said it in another thread but we're gonna have a large portion of our fanbase mystified that Iheanacho scores 20 goals a season to whoever he goes to and plays regularly for. If he does indeed leave here. 

Edited by ARTY_FOX
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Interesting point here - it begs the question, WHY did we buy Nacho, WHAT did we think we were buying?

Did we buy Nacho with the intention he was the eventual successor, a support striker in a two, a project?

Look at all his goals for Man City they were all on a plate, I actually think he’d be ok in a two but because we’ve not got another natural striker it’s difficult for him.

18 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

Look at all his goals for Man City they were all on a plate, I actually think he’d be ok in a two but because we’ve not got another natural striker it’s difficult for him.

Ironically, I think Nacho and Eduoard would be a cracking pair...

The one that makes sense to me, although it is very dependent on other clubs, is Batshuayi.

Palace have just bought a new striker, and they still have Benteke until the summer aswell. If we are able to arrange a deal with Chelsea for say a 6 month loan with option to buy, (same as Palace have him) Palace may be willing to cancel their loan (saving his wages), and Chelsea get a better loan for him, where he’s getting more games, at least for a few weeks, and maybe they get him sold. Let’s face it, Palace aren’t going to take up their option to buy on him now.

He’s not “over the hill” at 27, he has scored goals at a decent rate in the past, has a good record with Belgium, would hopefully fit in will with Tielemans, Castagne, and Praet (although he’s injured), and fits the bill of a player that Brendan could try and “resurrect”. 

His loan wages should be covered by losing Slimani, and should he do well we could buy in the summer, if not, back to Chelsea he goes.

This would be what I’d be aiming to work. It’s a complicated deal, and relies on his current loan being able to be cancelled, but it’s well worth a shot I believe.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, City1884 said:

The one that makes sense to me, although it is very dependent on other clubs, is Batshuayi.

Palace have just bought a new striker, and they still have Benteke until the summer aswell. If we are able to arrange a deal with Chelsea for say a 6 month loan with option to buy, (same as Palace have him) Palace may be willing to cancel their loan (saving his wages), and Chelsea get a better loan for him, where he’s getting more games, at least for a few weeks, and maybe they get him sold. Let’s face it, Palace aren’t going to take up their option to buy on him now.

He’s not “over the hill” at 27, he has scored goals at a decent rate in the past, has a good record with Belgium, would hopefully fit in will with Tielemans, Castagne, and Praet (although he’s injured), and fits the bill of a player that Brendan could try and “resurrect”. 

His loan wages should be covered by losing Slimani, and should he do well we could buy in the summer, if not, back to Chelsea he goes.

This would be what I’d be aiming to work. It’s a complicated deal, and relies on his current loan being able to be cancelled, but it’s well worth a shot I believe.

Like that 👍

59 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

I’m not so sure we’ll be in for Eduoard I think Nacho would look good in Scotland but if we are we have to trust Rodgers 

It's not a case of wether Nacho is good enough for Celtic or even us for that matter. He may look good in Scotland but it still wouldnt make him quick, clinical or direct.

The problem with Nacho isn't that he isn't good enough, it's that his style doesn't suit us as we don't play with two strikers and he needs to be the deeper of two strikers to get the best out of him. 

The reason I said they would make a good pair is that they are two very different strikers with Eduoard suiting our style of play far more.

1 hour ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

it's only a few games, no need to panic buy.

he’ll need a replacement eventually... we seem to know how to bring a player in a year before they are needed so seems a perfect time to get a loan in... do they show the potential to replace him? Sign him permanently!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MPH said:

he’ll need a replacement eventually... we seem to know how to bring a player in a year before they are needed so seems a perfect time to get a loan in... do they show the potential to replace him? Sign him permanently!

Also a model we seem to like. Perfect for Youri. Trying it with Under. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, City1884 said:

Unfortunately, I doubt if Chelsea will play ball on this because, unlike Palace ,we are a direct rival for Champions League qualification