Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LestaLad

Odsonne Edouard

20 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

As far as who the player would want to come to, I don't see WH being much competition but the problem we DO have with clubs like this being interested is it could push the price up. Last thing we want is a bidding war. 

Celtic's problems won't be solved by keeping hold of Eduoard. Their season is over and they know it. 

Only thing they can do is to try and get as much money as possible for him and if they can, that will be done this month as his valuation will likely be less in a few months time. 

It's the perennial problem we'll always have in that we struggle to compete with London clubs. Not saying this will be the case but some players, especially non-nationals, want to be in the capital. 

29 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

As far as who the player would want to come to, I don't see WH being much competition but the problem we DO have with clubs like this being interested is it could push the price up. Last thing we want is a bidding war. 

Celtic's problems won't be solved by keeping hold of Eduoard. Their season is over and they know it. 

Only thing they can do is to try and get as much money as possible for him and if they can, that will be done this month as his valuation will likely be less in a few months time. 

West ham are absolutely skint so I wouldn't worry about that either.

1 hour ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

I wouldn't worry about that tbh. We're a greater pull than them. I'm more worried about arsenal or someone from Germany coming in for him.

That said, I reckon he'll stay at celtic till the summer. I doubt celtic will want to sell now with all the problems they've got.

...they are going to rebuild and Edouard is not going to be a part of that plan.

Lennon will probably be gone at the end of the season. The new manager will want the funds available. I suspect Lennon will not have funds to spend in this window. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I'm pretty certain that they will sell him now for the reasons you say. Also because their owner is in it for the money, Hea a business Man first and foremost.

Anyone see him play ? is there a video as I've no idea if he's any good or not.

42 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

I'm pretty certain that they will sell him now for the reasons you say. Also because their owner is in it for the money, Hea a business Man first and foremost.

I've saw a fair amount of him and I like him. Quick, strong, calm in front of goal, good link up and good control of the ball (although he somehow looks clumsy). Can sometimes look lazy but I think it might be down to him being a bit savvy. He knows he doesn't have to sprint around the pitch for 90 minutes but rather pich his moments. 

• Like 1

On 22/01/2021 at 19:50, dannythefox said:

I understand the second striker might not be as good but we need to be getting a player in so Vardy can’t teach him not when he’s done and dusted. I don’t mind Nacho but it says something when he doesn’t even start when Vardy is injured.

Like I was saying it says something when he doesn’t start cup game.

1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

I don't think Desmond has ever taken a single penny out the club. He doesn't put a lot of his own money in either as he wants us to be run sustainably but he has done now and again such as to subsidise Martin O'Neill's transfer funds and paying Bellamy and Kean's wages.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, grth2004 said:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/west-ham-transfer-news-edouard-23373957?fbclid=IwAR2pnWj2F3eejyIxkRTJJBmlsg8UqZIzWOD4F__u3iX5FGf1WArh4-xfQRw

ok it is the Star but according to them West Ham are bidding but he’d  rather go to Spurs or Arsenal 😂 doesn’t even mention us

Yep, it’s reading as though he wants one of the “Traditional” big six, and also fancies living in London.

Doesn’t sound like he wants to come here, and even if he did come, he’d be wanting release clauses to move on if someone “bigger” came in.

This could be one we have to move on from.

45 minutes ago, grth2004 said:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/west-ham-transfer-news-edouard-23373957?fbclid=IwAR2pnWj2F3eejyIxkRTJJBmlsg8UqZIzWOD4F__u3iX5FGf1WArh4-xfQRw

ok it is the Star but according to them West Ham are bidding but he’d  rather go to Spurs or Arsenal 😂 doesn’t even mention us

Arsenal very keen; but you'd think that must mean one of their strikers leaving and I'm sure they said Nelson, Martinelli, Nketiah going nowhere; which when you add in Auba and Laca, it does seem like they'd have an embarrassment of riches.

Add in that the likes of Saka/ERS have really risen to the challenge and won't be dropped so the list of strikers listed above will hardly be utilised elsewhere (I appreciate Nelson isn't really a striker and that Saka can play everywhere) and the issues that Arsenal DO have and you wonder why they want to buy another striker.

If West Ham do a deal then Gold/Sullivan will have to pay for it and you might wonder why they were so desperate to offload Haller (just to be able to meet the installments on the purchase of Haller)

2 hours ago, City1884 said:

Yep, it’s reading as though he wants one of the “Traditional” big six, and also fancies living in London.

Doesn’t sound like he wants to come here, and even if he did come, he’d be wanting release clauses to move on if someone “bigger” came in.

This could be one we have to move on from.

And your basing that on something the Daily Star says? That bastion of accuracy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not worth the risk in my opinion. Look at players who came from that league who had a similar or better record. Jelavic, Hooper and Sinclair for examples and didn't really do alot. Of course Van Dyke and potentially Demble are exceptions but I feel he is a big risk that may be no better than Nacho. Especially if they want between 20-35m from the reports.

If we were going for somebody from that league I'd say Morales, or just make the most of what we have. Spain played a cup with a team of midfielders and wingers! (Bad comparison I know).

1 minute ago, Genesis1 said:

Not worth the risk in my opinion. Look at players who came from that league who had a similar or better record. Jelavic, Hooper and Sinclair for examples and didn't really do alot. Of course Van Dyke and potentially Demble are exceptions but I feel he is a big risk that may be no better than Nacho. Especially if they want between 20-35m from the reports.

If we were going for somebody from that league I'd say Morales, or just make the most of what we have. Spain played a cup with a team of midfielders and wingers! (Bad comparison I know).

goodwillie as well

• Haha 1

Just now, Genesis1 said:

Mate.... I mean this with the utmost respect but if you are suggesting Morelos over Eduord then it's an absolute certainty that you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about in regards to Scottish football. 

You've also missed a fair few good SPFL exports although on purpose or not I'm not sure. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Mate.... I mean this with the utmost respect but if you are suggesting Morelos over Eduord then it's an absolute certainty that you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about in regards to Scottish football. 

You've also missed a fair few good SPFL exports although on purpose or not I'm not sure. 

I'm basing the comparison of the handful of times I've seen them both play and for sure Morelos is hotheaded but it's been a while since we've had a target man and we do love the long balls and crosses. I'm also basing it on the likelinees the next striker we get will eventually replace Vardy, which is why I don't count Slimani since he didn't play weekly.

I have missed a few out I'm sure but not purposely, it was more a case those mentioned were noted as huge signings for the English league with high expectations and potential and did very little. I mean wasn't Hooper scoring 20-30 a season at one point.

My overall point is although every signing isn't without it's risk. This one keeps popping up since the day Rogers arrived and I don't think it would be all to smart. Just my opinion though!

17 minutes ago, Genesis1 said:

None of those strikers were breaking records for France U21's though. France U21's have a very good squad and the fact Edouard is the no.1 striker for them speaks volumes. Hes comparable to Dembele who has gone on to be very good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

As I've said countless times in the past this is absolute tosh. We've had interviews with Rodgers on the website since he left, public statements thanking him along with the other managers who were part of the 9 in a row run last season. In fact the relationship between Rodgers and the Celtic board is probably better now than it was when he was here. If Leicester offer the asking price Lawell wouldn't think twice about selling.

Selling Edouard to Leicester is the last thing on Celtic fan's minds at the moment given all that's went on this season.

I think you may have overlooked the salient point I made; but I don't wish to start a row.

Appearances need to be kept up, egos need to be massaged and fanbases need to be courted. That all stands until the real 'god' of the game (money) rears its head and commercial realities take over.

Late in the window sale to LCFC.

28 minutes ago, Genesis1 said:

.....why would you pay £35m for someone with 18 months left of their contract!!!

Take that price with a pinch of salt, £20m tops, we never seem to learn regarding undermining the quality coming down from Scotland. Tierney also make more than making a fist of it at Arsenal, if JJ or Castagne had signed for Celtic would you have been looking to give them a wide berth.

• Like 1