Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Full back options without JJ

Hope we stick with 4 at the back as the 3 has only really worked with jj in it. Time for Thomas, fuchs or castagne when fit to rotate and see us through the rest of the season. Thomas is more than capable and this experience will only help him in the long term. Wonder if it would be worth playing evans lcb to talk him through matches. 

7 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Can't see him throwing Thomas in against Liverpool unless it's at wing back with 3 centre backs behind him.

Neither can I, but I hope he does. 3 at the back brings its own issues and I think it gives us a false sense of being more protected when in reality I think we're more open in that formation. You can only use the players at your disposal, and whilst i understand different formations can bring the best out in players, it shouldn't be done if it doesn't bring the best out of the team as a whole. It's not ideal, but Thomas and Daley-Campbell if called on will gain more from playing in the 4 that works best for the team, than is shuffling the pack to accommodate them.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I think I'd run him close in a 50m dash and I think I've gained as much weight as he weighs over the last year. Admitedly I'd need oxygen and defibrilator after, but it'd be a hell of a race.

I suppose you could have played against  Man C  and Arsenal our best two performances of the season  both of which he was excellent. If he excelled against City should be OK  against a side they hammered  very recently. Your remarks are a slur on a fine clubman  who  is very popular  both inside and outside club

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Foxaholic ME said:

I suppose you could have played against  Man C  and Arsenal our best two performances of the season  both of which he was excellent. If he excelled against City should be OK  against a side they hammered  very recently. Your remarks are a slur on a fine clubman  who  is very popular  both inside and outside club

Get out of here, it's a bit of craic. He's getting on a bit and has been rodgered for pace. Absolutely no need for him to be playing unless Thomas and Castagne are unavailable. Slur lol

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

Psychologically think it would be quite damning to not try Thomas but can see why he’d go for experience especially against liverpool

But experience = slowness ... especially against Liverpool.  I hope he puts his faith in Thomas, in a back 4.

• Like 1

With any luck, Castagne will be back in a week and we'll be able to keep him fit.

With either Castagne or Ricardo unavailbale, in the tougher matches, at least, I'm pretty sure Brendan will go 3 at the back and consider Albrighton or Thomas as wing-backs. I'd rather a back 4 with Thomas at LB, but it is a lot to ask of a young player in a match like Saturday's. I think Amartey or Fofana, when he's back, as RB in a back 4 could work. I think Fuchs should only be a last resort at this point, but better him than nobody.

As others have said, the injury to Ricardo last year was JJ's opportunity, and he grabbed it with both hands. Perhaps Thomas or Daley-Campbell can do the same. It probably helps a lot that there'll be no crowd to get on their backs when they make mistakes, because they will. It's what young players have to go through. However they do when called upon, the experience they'll gain will do them the world of good.

JJ's injury is devastating, but at least we do have options, and you never know, it could be the making of a player like Thomas.

Well I hardly noticed that Thomas was on the pitch against Brighton, but it was a wretched game all round so not sure it’s a good game to rate him on.

Personally I don’t get the optimism around him playing against Liverpool as he’s got some way to develop. Before I’m reported to the “judged too early” thread I’m not saying he won’t make it, but just that it’s still early in his development.

I seem to be in the minority in thinking that Fuchs might be a better option. Strangely, however, I’d probably have Thomas as back up once Castagne is fit again. I just think he needs to be rotated in thoughtfully and be given time to stake his claim 

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....no,no and thrice no!!!

One good game and we pitch him in against Liverpool, a game such as this with our previous results against them, could destroy him. If it does not happen on the pitch he will be lambasted via social platforms.

He plays on the right hand side, we are asking too much for him to cope playing in a position he will not have played before and if he had experience of doing so, look what team he would be up against.

D360237B-9FA2-43CB-9752-8CCA6DFC3EB6.jpeg

• Haha 2

With Ricardo just back from long term injury and Castange picking up another hamstring injury, Rodgers is going to have to rotate full backs on both sides between the league and cup fixures. It's too risky to overloading Ricardo with 2 games a week, even if it means playing Armarty at RB or playing with a back 3 in the Europa league, with Thomas/****s and Albrighton as wing backs. 

Just now, Sunbury Fox said:

Is the news on Castsgne's return still the usual vague line about him being back in 7-10 days, with an end point that on reality never seems to get any closer?

he said he's not quite ready but should be back in training next week and will need a week of training before he plays. hopefully he won't be giving us the same update a few weeks down the line!

• Like 1