Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
majaco

Transfer targets ongoing

Message added by Mark,

36 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

It depends whether benches are going to be extended to nine. If so, we could have all three on there and kel can get game time last twenty if we’re a couple ahead.   If benches remain at seven then I suspect we would only have one forward and that would be vards or edouard. So without an injury to one of the other two, kel would spend a lot of prem games outside the squad. 

Hope they keep it at 9, makes it more likely to have a couple of academy players on there.

• Like 2

I feel like I need to make it clear that Vardy for me is our best signing and easily goes down as one of the biggest legends in my 20 odd years following the club. I also wasn't one of the people that over react and wanted him gone when he gave away the pen after coming on as a sub :D. The guy was playing for stocksbridge and then won the Premier league 5 or 6 years later while smashing a record. Add to that he's a bit of a bastard and wind up merchant on the pitch, he's an absolute hero for us and people will be talking about him in 100 years. 

I just take issue with people saying he's irreplaceable and world class. If we were fighting relgation, mid table fodder or in the championship he would be "irreplaceable". We're not though, we're a club who's on for two consective top 6 finishes and plan to continue improving. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what people mean when they say irreplaceable, because I'm fairly sure we can find a quick intelligent striker who knows where the back of the net is, given our standing in world football right now.

The whole package is probably irreplaceable, but I don't think we should be looking to find a clone in terms of personality and ability. Us and Vardy coming together just created an absolute machine and helped both get the absolute best out of each other. It'll never be replaced.

Looking at it logically though, we've get a striker who's losing his pace and struggling with an injury that's troubled him for a few years. He is replaceable on the pitch and we really should be able to improve on the current version of Vardy.

Sentimentality is lovely, but in football all it will affect our progress. Vardy's still got 2 more years on a sweet contract so he will have a role to play for us over the next 2 years, there's nothing wrong in accepting that he's not gonna be playing every minute of every game and running defences ragged.

I'm not reading this back because I'm too lazy, I hope i've managed to make some semblence of sense lol

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I’d imagine it’ll be £15m up front with some performance related add-ons for the extra £5m.

As someone who has seen him play a lot, would you say he is a definite upgrade on iheanacho? If so what is he better at?

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Hope they keep it at 9, makes it more likely to have a couple of academy players on there.

Hope it goes back to 7, or 9 but the rule is at least one has to be an academy player. We have only put ours on the bench through desperation otherwise we’d happily have 8 first team defensive players on ahead of an academy prospect.

Danny Ings should be the number one target this summer. He is the most like for like Vardy replacement there is and probably better technically aswell. If not achieveable then Ivan Toney (if Brentford dont get promoted) and failing that Edouard imo. A fast tricky winger or two should also be essential, cant be going into next season with our RW options being the turtle pace of Albrighton and Perez. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FoxOnWheels said:

As someone who has seen him play a lot, would you say he is a definite upgrade on iheanacho? If so what is he better at?

Yes. Iheancho is mince. Edouard is already a better player in every way.

That said, for EPL level anyway your not buying the finished article, he’s still got a bit of developing to do to make it at the very top but there’s no one better than Rodgers to do that.

In this day and age of inflated transfer fees getting Eduoard for £15m is an absolute snip. Had our season this season not been an omnishambles and he’d maintained his level of form from last season and before we’d have got £30m for him without much bother.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

Danny Ings should be the number one target this summer. He is the most like for like Vardy replacement there is and probably better technically aswell. If not achieveable then Ivan Toney (if Brentford dont get promoted) and failing that Edouard imo. A fast tricky winger or two should also be essential, cant be going into next season with our RW options being the turtle pace of Albrighton and Perez. 

I really don’t see how Ings is like for like with Vardy at all, different types of strikers.

Also Ings and Toney will cost at least double what Edouard would and the former will have zero re-sale value of note. Given covid and financial belts being tightened it’s all about finding value in the transfer market at the moment.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I really don’t see how Ings is like for like with Vardy at all, different types of strikers.

Also Ings and Toney will cost at least double what Edouard would and the former will have zero re-sale value of note. Given covid and financial belts being tightened it’s all about finding value in the transfer market at the moment.

100% agree with this, Edouard makes perfect financial sense if the £15-20m fee is true. It would also leave us budget to get a winger and a midfielder but if we got Ings or Toney, it would limit the finances to sign other targets. Edouard is still quite young as well and Rodgers will know full well if he's good enough for the epl. The only way Toney would become attainable is if Brentford don't go up and even then I think hed be around the £30m mark. I think Ings will end up at Spurs 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

That said, for EPL level anyway your not buying the finished article, he’s still got a bit of developing to do to make it at the very top but there’s no one better than Rodgers to do that.

In this day and age of inflated transfer fees getting Eduoard for £15m is an absolute snip. Had our season this season not been an omnishambles and he’d maintained his level of form from last season and before we’d have got £30m for him without much bother.

15 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Quick, play on the shoulder, good finishers and press hard on defenders, id say theyre pretty similar tbh. I agree 100 percent on the value part thats why i said if it was achievable but Ings is a proven Premier league striker who would fit into Vardys boots immediately where as i imagine itd take Edouard time to adjust. 

9 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

You seem to know your stuff in the main, but come on now, Iheanacho is clearly not mince.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nick said:

Watching the Odsonne Edouard interview on Sky sports - I didn’t realise he doesn’t speak English - I’m surprised by that. 

Could be he didn't feel comfortable interviewing in English rather than not speaking it altogether

10 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Could be he didn't feel comfortable interviewing in English rather than not speaking it altogether

Could be he's spent 3 years in Scotland where its been nigh on impossible for him to comprehend the English language.

• Haha 3

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Could be he's spent 3 years in Scotland where its been nigh on impossible for him to comprehend the English language.

The absolute mix of being able to understand one person and then a minute later having to get another to repeat themselves 10 times is wild. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

This is really, really harsh. He does go through rough patches, but when he's good, he is very good. I don't know by what standard he could be described as 'mince.' If he was first choice striker for a decent PL club, I reckon he'd get 15+ a season.

Last two games...

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Raw Dykes said:

This is really, really harsh. He does go through rough patches, but when he's good, he is very good. I don't know by what standard he could be described as 'mince.' If he was first choice striker for a decent PL club, I reckon he'd get 15+ a season.

Last two games...

Agreed. I don’t care what anyone says Iheanacho scores goals 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Agreed. I don’t care what anyone says Iheanacho scores goals 

Absolutely and that's the point. It doesn't matter how technically gifted you are or how good you look or pleasing on the eye, whether you can do flip flaps or step overs, if you can regularly get the ball in the net that's that.