Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
majaco

Transfer targets ongoing

Message added by Mark,

1 minute ago, Nick said:

Tarks will want a 4 year deal on decent bags to secure his future I reckon. Four CB’s is where we need to be in terms of depth to compete in Europe and domestically. It allows us the three at the back option and gives opportunities for rest and rotation - pick up an injury or two with just the three we have and we are in makeshift territory again like this season. It won’t be long before Evans can only play because of his back once a week and the fixture list this this season has often been 3/4 games in ten day periods. He’d be a good acquisition for me but I would certainly agree that there are other forward areas of the pitch that need an immediate £20plus million cash injection rather than the CB position!

Can't argue with it. I just think there will be a PL club (think the ones who end up staying up, so someone like Palace/Newcastle/Fulham/Southampton/WBA or whoever it is - who give him the money and maybe the captaincy and he just gets told 'you play every game'.

1 minute ago, The People's Hero said:

Can't argue with it. I just think there will be a PL club (think the ones who end up staying up, so someone like Palace/Newcastle/Fulham/Southampton/WBA or whoever it is - who give him the money and maybe the captaincy and he just gets told 'you play every game'.

Quite possibly - but you play every game for Newcastle or fight for the opportunity to play every game with better players at Leicester and also play in Europe and have a half chance at some silverware may be a more compelling argument. Oh and he’d get a room at the best training ground in the world! 😝 

1 minute ago, Nick said:

Quite possibly - but you play every game for Newcastle or fight for the opportunity to play every game with better players at Leicester and also play in Europe and have a half chance at some silverware may be a more compelling argument. Oh and he’d get a room at the best training ground in the world! 😝 

I think at his age the value of the contract will probably be very important to him. He won't have been earning megabucks at Burnley, Brentford or Oldham and he is approaching his 30s. He may well be looking for a contract to secure his and his families long term future. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KFS said:

Thauvin and Otavio for me

Would be massive to get those two in, I think we need seven quality players in the front four positions.

Vardy

Barnes

Maddison

-----------

Thauvin (free)

Otavio (free)

Edouard (£20m)

---------

The 7th player would be good to have a winger who is comfortable on both wings. Maybe buy him in or use one of the current squad. Sowah obviously worth a look pre season before we decide what to do or possibly Albrighton.

Happy to sell the following if we got a reasonable offer:

Iheanacho

Perez

Albrighton

11 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

This is really, really harsh. He does go through rough patches, but when he's good, he is very good. I don't know by what standard he could be described as 'mince.' If he was first choice striker for a decent PL club, I reckon he'd get 15+ a season.

Last two games...

Is the standard he’s being judged at not obvious? The league he plays in, as an EPL striker he’s mince. Particularly with a club who have designs on being a top 4 club he is miles short of what is required as even a back-up striker. The fact Rodgers doesn’t seem to trust him also says it all.

If he was at any other club in the EPL he’d be labelled a donkey on here. Get some cash for him this summer while it’s still possible.

Iheancho in his life will never score 15 goals in the EPL at any club. 15 goals a season EPL strikers aren’t forever kicking their heels on the bench and when they do get the chance don’t consistently underwhelm as he does.

Edited by Muzzy_Larsson

58 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

English too? Got a mate with Scottish roots who rates him.

Has to be said - some good quality up there

Not a bad shout, he was much maligned by Rangers fans last season, oddly he was always good against Celtic but poor against the rest of the sides in the league. This season he has kicked on though and looked very good, could be worth a punt. I know it was some time ago mind you but I think loan spells he had in English football he flopped quite badly, Bristol City I think it was.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grumpy old git said:

We all seem to agree that we need a new forward to help Vards out and one thats much better than Perez, who that should be I am not sure as yet. However I feel that we have really missed Maddison a lot this season when he been injured. We need someone with similar values a number 10 who has that eye for a pass and can get 10 or more goals a season.

Adil Aouchiche of Saint-Étienne might be an interesting target. Long term he could become a brilliant player.

He left PSG for regular football though so he might not come if he's not guaranteed a certain amount of game time.

He seems to be mates with Fofana though as he comments on Little Wes's socials a fair bit (they were club teammates for only a short time but they could possibly know each other from the international youth teams?).

He could be one to keep an eye on.

39 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Is the standard he’s being judged at not obvious? The league he plays in, as an EPL striker he’s mince. Particularly with a club who have designs on being a top 4 club he is miles short of what is required as even a back-up striker. The fact Rodgers doesn’t seem to trust him also says it all.

If he was at any other club in the EPL he’d be labelled a donkey on here. Get some cash for him this summer while it’s still possible.

Iheancho in his life will never score 15 goals in the EPL at any club. 15 goals a season EPL strikers aren’t forever kicking their heels on the bench and when they do get the chance don’t consistently underwhelm as he does.

I have to say that this is a very strange point of view - donkeys can't do what he just produced in the last 2 games. And you're overlooking the impossible task he was set when signing here - whilst still a very young man I might add - which was of course competing with a phenomenon. The rest of what you said is speculative, and not worth discussing, as it cannot be proven one way or the other.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

All been nabbed by Raoila and having a bit of an average season compared to last. Although Boadu got a hattrick last week. Idrissi left in the summer and flopped (since gone from Sevilla to Ajax).

Koopmeiners and Windjal probably their best 2 this season. Stengs has been very subdued by his standards. 

...Stengs need a change of scenery,  Ziyech waited too long for his move!!!

He is a superb player and I am sure would be great in the Premiership,  on the Right Wing or Central he has the ability to be terrific at both. Two more years left on his contract,  it is certainly now is the best chance to pick him up.

14 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I have to say that this is a very strange point of view - donkeys can't do what he just produced in the last 2 games. And you're overlooking the impossible task he was set when signing here - whilst still a very young man I might add - which was of course competing with a phenomenon. The rest of what you said is speculative, and not worth discussing, as it cannot be proven one way or the other.

I asked before and I'll ask again - what team outside the top 6 (and some in it) has a better 2nd striker than Kelechi?  I would argue it's an extremely short list.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I asked before and I'll ask again - what team outside the top 6 (and some in it) has a better 2nd striker than Kelechi?  I would argue it's an extremely short list.

"You dress for the job you want, not for the job you have"

If we are aiming to be a top 6 club, we should be holding ourselves to top 6 standards so, what has anyone outside the top 6 got to do with it? Why are you comparing us to the Newcastles and Southamptons of the world when we are competing with the Man Utds, Liverpools and Chelsea's...

As for your question in itself, the problem with Nacho isn't his ability. He clearly has some. Its in his inability to play effectively in the system we implement. To get the best out of Nacho, you have to play someone up top with him which means changing our entire formation to suit him which A, isn't easy to do when you only have two real strikers and one of them is probably injured if Nacho is starting and B, means he isn't a good replacement for Vardy but rather another option. 

Ideally, we should have a player who can play within our preferred system AND someone like Nacho who offers us the option to change it up. 

• Like 2

Rather than chase Tarkowski again I’d love to see us slap a bid in for Joachim Anderson! Only 24 and looks a real leader which I feel we lack at the back especially without Evans playing... A fellow Danish Friend I’m sure Kasper could put in a good word 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

If we are aiming to be a top 6 club, we should be holding ourselves to top 6 standards so, what has anyone outside the top 6 got to do with it? Why are you comparing us to the Newcastles and Southamptons of the world when we are competing with the Man Utds, Liverpools and Chelsea's...

As for your question in itself, the problem with Nacho isn't his ability. He clearly has some. Its in his inability to play effectively in the system we implement. To get the best out of Nacho, you have to play someone up top with him which means changing our entire formation to suit him which A, isn't easy to do when you only have two real strikers and one of them is probably injured if Nacho is starting and B, means he isn't a good replacement for Vardy but rather another option. 

Ideally, we should have a player who can play within our preferred system AND someone like Nacho who offers us the option to change it up. 

Simple: look at their payrolls compared to ours. Everyone from top to the bottom at the club knows we don’t have the finances to operate the same way those “big six” clubs handle their business; we have to do things differently. 

Brendan himself has discussed this in multiple press conferences and is on board (for now) with the way we do our business. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Wow very harsh coming from someone whose opinion I regard highly! I think you’re being way too critical of Nacho as I think if he started every game for us he would get 15 goals. In fact Brighton would kill for someone like him as their focal point as then they’d be mid table rather than battling to stay up!

I get that compared to options the top teams in the country have he isn’t in the same bracket, but Nacho has earned his place in the squad and our hearts since Rodgers took over. If we sign Edouard then having him plus Vardy and Nacho would give us depth in our strike force unparalleled in our club’s history save for the days of Smith and Lineker. 

Leicester are never going to sign ready made players for 60m so I really don’t think we’d do much better than Nacho for the price, who was cheaper than Benteke, Haller, Lacazette, Perez, etc. We have to make up for a declining Vardy through improving the entire team’s goal output like Barnes, Maddison, Tielemans and now Nacho are doing. If we could sign another player that matched Barnes output on the right hand side and add another good striker for rotation we could push top 4 again next season or better IMO!

Y'know who would be perfect for Brighton?  Teemu Pukki.  Just a guy who knows how to score goals.  Nothing fancy - just smart and possessing a deft touch.  It'd transform their entire team.

As for us, I'm all for adding another striker but I'd still argue Kelechi is a good #2 and good enough to start for some PL sides.  He can also play with Vardy, which not every striker could.  If we sign Edouard I think we keep Kelechi and effectively transition Vardy into a part-time role.

KDH, a striker, and a right winger good enough to be the main starter - those would be the bare essentials.  Replacing Choudhury with a more versatile MF who can truly transition between holding and creative roles would be a luxury, but ideal.  I'd be fine with a three-FB rotation of Ricardo, Chestnuts and Justin and a three-CB rotation of Evans, Cags and Little Wes.  Amartey can backfill RB and CB, Thomas can support both fullbacks, and Perez can back up Maddison and be an emergency winger.  Albrighton as squad depth, and Praet in a rotation with the creative guys.  Once the cups and Europe start guys like KDH and Thomas would get some action (if injuries don't make that happen first).  As for Tavares, if he's willing to re-sign a loan to a Championship club is a must.  But I suspect he's gone.

Of course if Praet forces a move or we sell somebody like Ricardo, priorities change in a big way.  

Edited by Deeg67
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

1 hour ago, The_77 said:

Simple: look at their payrolls compared to ours. Everyone from top to the bottom at the club knows we don’t have the finances to operate the same way those “big six” clubs handle their business; we have to do things differently. 

Brendan himself has discussed this in multiple press conferences and is on board (for now) with the way we do our business. 

I don't know why games played usually gets omitted from these conversations. It did my head in when somehow squad depth and total players compared to Man City was brought up on Radio Leicester last night. Somehow we were adding a player every year? (I think we have more pressing issues like Vardy and Youri playing infinite minutes as well as kids on our bench that haven't played a minute of senior football.) There is both having European Football as a selling point to bring players in and there is also the supplemental games aspect to sustain a deeper squad. And with that deeper squad hope to go deeper in the domestic cup competitions as well. It's a giant step to have or not have Europe.

Games played 19/20:

Us: 48.

Southampton: 44

Newcastle:45

Man U: 61

Liverpool: 57 (inc. club world cup, community shield, super cup)

Chelsea: 55 inc. supercup

How many players would we need to sustain or league position and play 8+ extra games?

It is a literal step up to be able to field a squad for those extra games. I don't think you can fake it. Europe is looking nailed on for next season now, but it has been a few years. And I remember a stat that a club outside of the top 6 hasn't made it to Europe in back to back seasons in who knows how long. Wolves did 7th/7th but got busted out of Europa by Arsenal winning the FA cup.

• Like 1

On 06/03/2021 at 09:15, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Yes. Iheancho is mince. Edouard is already a better player in every way.

That said, for EPL level anyway your not buying the finished article, he’s still got a bit of developing to do to make it at the very top but there’s no one better than Rodgers to do that.

In this day and age of inflated transfer fees getting Eduoard for £15m is an absolute snip. Had our season this season not been an omnishambles and he’d maintained his level of form from last season and before we’d have got £30m for him without much bother.

lollollol

8 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

Adil Aouchiche of Saint-Étienne might be an interesting target. Long term he could become a brilliant player.

He left PSG for regular football though so he might not come if he's not guaranteed a certain amount of game time.

He seems to be mates with Fofana though as he comments on Little Wes's socials a fair bit (they were club teammates for only a short time but they could possibly know each other from the international youth teams?).

He could be one to keep an eye on.

He rejected us to sign for Saint-Etienne.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Wow very harsh coming from someone whose opinion I regard highly! I think you’re being way too critical of Nacho as I think if he started every game for us he would get 15 goals. In fact Brighton would kill for someone like him as their focal point as then they’d be mid table rather than battling to stay up!

I get that compared to options the top teams in the country have he isn’t in the same bracket, but Nacho has earned his place in the squad and our hearts since Rodgers took over. If we sign Edouard then having him plus Vardy and Nacho would give us depth in our strike force unparalleled in our club’s history save for the days of Smith and Lineker. 

Leicester are never going to sign ready made players for 60m so I really don’t think we’d do much better than Nacho for the price, who was cheaper than Benteke, Haller, Lacazette, Perez, etc. We have to make up for a declining Vardy through improving the entire team’s goal output like Barnes, Maddison, Tielemans and now Nacho are doing. If we could sign another player that matched Barnes output on the right hand side and add another good striker for rotation we could push top 4 again next season or better IMO!

It's not personal mate, I just think whenever I've watched him, which admittedly isn't near as much as most on here that he's useless. Useless in the context of an EPL striker of course. Even in the last two years when Vardy has been injued and he's been asked to carry the torch in the league he's been terrible, in the games I've saw anyway. You seem to forget he's even on the pitch and when he does get involved I find it difficult to see anything he's particularly good at. His link up play is ok at times but you need a lot more than that to be a striker nowadays, particularly in this day and age when teams play with only one recognised striker in the main. I know he didn't decide his own fee but for 20 odd million and for how long he's been at the club I think it's reasonable to expect so much more from him.

I'm not saying buy ready made £60m players, Leciester can't and shouldn't do that, there is already a model that works perfectly that avoids that. That said, your talking about a guy who cost the guts of £25m almost five years ago, then and even more so now when you consider inflation thats a lot of money for someone who to be blunt hasn't delivered, even when he's had the opportunity to replace Vardy when he's been injured he's underwhelmed.

I'd also wager if he was a 15 goal a season EPL striker Rodgers would trust him more than he does and wouldn't be out scouring the market for another striker, who'll likely be ahead of him in the peckng order. You'd also have other clubs battering your door down for him if he was that type of striker as there are about 7 or 8 teams in the league where a guy like that could be the difference between survival and relegation. I don't see that happening either.

Football's subjective right, it's only my opinion of him, everyone looks at things differently.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Y'know who would be perfect for Brighton?  Teemu Pukki.  Just a guy who knows how to score goals.  Nothing fancy - just smart and possessing a deft touch.  It'd transform their entire team.

As for us, I'm all for adding another striker but I'd still argue Kelechi is a good #2 and good enough to start for some PL sides.  He can also play with Vardy, which not every striker could.  If we sign Edouard I think we keep Kelechi and effectively transition Vardy into a part-time role.

KDH, a striker, and a right winger good enough to be the main starter - those would be the bare essentials.  Replacing Choudhury with a more versatile MF who can truly transition between holding and creative roles would be a luxury, but ideal.  I'd be fine with a three-FB rotation of Ricardo, Chestnuts and Justin and a three-CB rotation of Evans, Cags and Little Wes.  Amartey can backfill RB and CB, Thomas can support both fullbacks, and Perez can back up Maddison and be an emergency winger.  Albrighton as squad depth, and Praet in a rotation with the creative guys.  Once the cups and Europe start guys like KDH and Thomas would get some action (if injuries don't make that happen first).  As for Tavares, if he's willing to re-sign a loan to a Championship club is a must.  But I suspect he's gone.

Of course if Praet forces a move or we sell somebody like Ricardo, priorities change in a big way.  

Pukki has looked great for Norwich, not a bad shout, he's a good goalscorer. 

Pretty remarkable the way he's performed in England as he flopped massively at Celtic.

2 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Pukki has looked great for Norwich, not a bad shout, he's a good goalscorer. 

Pretty remarkable the way he's performed in England as he flopped massively at Celtic.

Norwich is winning the Championship in a walk though, so I very much doubt they're selling.  Brighton really needs to get Potter someone like that though (assuming they survive).