Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UHDrive

Right Winger

Do we need one. Yes/No. (Me = yes)

We have struggled since Mahrez left 3 seasons ago and have failed in the players that we have bought in. We have tried Dimi (on and off) and purchased Perez for £30 million from Newcastle and even though he is classed as a striker, he effectively plays on the right wing.

This season we agreed a loan deal with AS Roma for 1 season for Cenghis Under to slot in as a right winger. He came to the club surprisingly unfit which made me question the communication between our medical teams, their recommendations and the untilmate sign off. Under as far as I'm concerned will not be here past this season. If you take out the time for him to work on his fitness, his injuries and his first team training then I would expect more from a player who is valued at €24 million purchase price. With 14 games to go he is being used as an impact sub at best and similar to Dimi's predicament.

I can see why the club have gone with him. They want to balance the squad out and replicate what we can achieve on the right wing in line to that of the left wing. Under is fast, strong, technically good on the ball. However he lacks basic off the ball positioning from all of the games I have watched, and what concerns me is his positioning and subsequent ability to track players back from a starting point where he isnt near them. He has got better defensively to his credit. 

From BR's point of view he has questions still I.e. can Under be moulded into a city player and can he keep adjusting to that role. BR has little time left and Under's lack of playing time is enough for me to think we need another Right Winger this summer and that BR isnt confident in him.

If we need a Right Winger which is urgent, do FT fans think the club will outlay the cash this summer for an attacking Midfielder, a Striker and a Right Winger? And which order would fans prioritize them? Mine is a right winger 1st, attacking midfielder 2nd and striker 3rd (striker no later than next summer). Essentially for me, this RW loan has failed, and we need another one.

Do we need one? No.

Is it the weakest area of our squad and the priority area if we are to be a consistent tip 4 threat? Yes.

If we can find someone with the work rate of Albrighton, pace of Under and productivity of Barnes, then we will have a phenomenal first XI.

I really hope the scouting team have managed to identify someone who fits that bill, and ideally it's also a player who can play in a range of positions and systems.

• Like 1

Paulo Di Canio:ph34r:

On a serious note, it’s definitely an area, probably the area we need to improve in our starting XI. Ünder has some useful qualities but if Rodgers doesn’t think he can become fit/hardworking enough I doubt he will go ahead with the buy option.

Thauvin is the obvious choice but from what I’ve seen a lot of Marseille fans criticise him for being greedy and he isn’t quite as prolific as before his injury.

1 minute ago, South Shire Fox said:

We need two new wingers imo (one if Cengiz signs perm). Lack of pace from Albrighton and Perez in those positions is frightening and having a couple of fast tricky wingers who can beat their man coming in would be a massive boost offensively. 

If Under signs permanently, we still need two new wingers lol

• Like 1

How much money will Brendan have to spend in the Summer window ? I realize there is some payroll space but the outlay for two wingers & a striker is probably 80 mil & lack of spectators could make that hard to find.

I suppose they can borrow from the Aussie bank against next years gate receipts.

What’s the point in buying a right winger? We all know Marc will go on a mad run and keep them out of the team!!

Seriously, I think we need to add to our attack in summer - the optimum would be a young dynamic right sided CF - who can play on the wing before stepping up to lead the line when Vards is ready to play a supporting role! 

25 minutes ago, sdb said:

Do we need one? No.

Is it the weakest area of our squad and the priority area if we are to be a consistent tip 4 threat? Yes.

If we can find someone with the work rate of Albrighton, pace of Under and productivity of Barnes, then we will have a phenomenal first XI.

I really hope the scouting team have managed to identify someone who fits that bill, and ideally it's also a player who can play in a range of positions and systems.

We do need one. Seems unlikely Under will sign so that means we've only really got 2 wingers in the whole squad, one of which is a 31 year Marc Albrighton. We've needed since Mahrez left and much like with Right back and centre back, it took us a couple of years to bring in the player(s) we needed but when we did they were genuine quality.

If we can get a top drawer one in, and ideally replace Perez with somebody of similar versatility but an upgrade, then we will have a starting XI as good as anyone's with a level of depth that isn't far behind.

17 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

We do need one. Seems unlikely Under will sign so that means we've only really got 2 wingers in the whole squad, one of which is a 31 year Marc Albrighton. We've needed since Mahrez left and much like with Right back and centre back, it took us a couple of years to bring in the player(s) we needed but when we did they were genuine quality.

If we can get a top drawer one in, and ideally replace Perez with somebody of similar versatility but an upgrade, then we will have a starting XI as good as anyone's with a level of depth that isn't far behind.

Well yes, take away one of our right wingers and the need for another increases! But Perez and Albrighton, and Praet to an extent, means we do have options, even if you do discount Under.

As I say, it's the priority area, but our squad is probably as strong as it's ever been.