Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Burnley (A) - Pre-Match Thread - 03/02/2021

4 minutes ago, supernuk said:

It won't be that easy but my point stands if we won't top 4 we really need to win this. Plus there really isn't much quality in the Burnley squad. 

Hope you are right, and I believe we can win even with this reduced squad. Makes me wonder if our XI will be much better than ours in this occasion though.

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....I do not understand that, it beggars belief!!!

All that does is encourage the ball coming straight back. You will need to have a player brave enough to pick up the ball on the edge of our area and be prepared to carry it up the pitch with support coming from our wingers.

Quite right, The problem is we don't have a players other than Harvey or JJ who can do that. Which is why we need to sign a tall strong footballing midfielder who is also quick.

Which is why I've said we should have signed Doucoure  last Summer. But that the type we need.

2 hours ago, supernuk said:

I get what you're saying but a draw just doesn't help top 4 ambitions which we need to keep alive. Also Burnley just aren't that good, got battered 4 0 by spurs. 

Your going to be mightily disappointed if your gauging Burnley on their Spurs performance 

3 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

I do understand - on a normal day, you've got to be aiming to beat Burnley, especially in the form they're in. I just think we're a bit burnt out at the moment, and that a draw wouldn't be a disaster. A draw wouldn't kill our top 4 ambitions - we can't even drop out of the top 3 in this round of games, whatever happens.

Yeah totally understand what you're saying mate. For me though looking at the run in at the end of our season a win is huge. 

3 hours ago, filbertway said:

These are really poor and we should be turning up solely with the aim to win. Rodgers and the squad shouldn't even be considering the possibility of a draw. This is a team that nearly lost to a WBA team that played the 2nd half with 10 men.

Too right mate. If we can’t beat these then top 4 is the least of our worries I’m afraid. 

48 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Your going to be mightily disappointed if your gauging Burnley on their Spurs performance 

They also drew against West Brom.. Just don't rate them I think even our injury hit squad can get a win. 

Not sure we can just shrug off a defeat or draw here. Even before the game, Villa in 9th would only be 4 points behind us if they win their two games in hand. The league is much tighter this season. 

I'm praying that West Ham, Villa and Everton fall away soon as I think Chelsea and Tottenham will finish v strongly as they both have fully fit squads, and I'm still certain that Liverpool and Man U will finish top 4. If I'm right and the first 3 teams don't fall away then we'll be struggling even to get an EL spot.

My view is that we really need a minimum of 7 points from Burnley, Brighton and Sheff U, with tougher fixtures to come. Ideally we'd get 9. So I think we have to play the strongest team available, even if we have some players on the pitch who would ideally be rested. We can then hopefully get the job done, even if it's ugly. We then get back to only 1 game per week and have an international break at the end of the month. Have never been so glad to have one of those!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Not sure we can just shrug off a defeat or draw here. Even before the game, Villa in 9th would only be 4 points behind us if they win their two games in hand. The league is much tighter this season. 

I'm praying that West Ham, Villa and Everton fall away soon as I think Chelsea and Tottenham will finish v strongly as they both have fully fit squads, and I'm still certain that Liverpool and Man U will finish top 4. If I'm right and the first 3 teams don't fall away then we'll be struggling even to get an EL spot.

My view is that we really need a minimum of 7 points from Burnley, Brighton and Sheff U, with tougher fixtures to come. Ideally we'd get 9. So I think we have to play the strongest team available, even if we have some players on the pitch who would ideally be rested. We can then hopefully get the job done, even if it's ugly. We then get back to only 1 game per week and have an international break at the end of the month. Have never been so glad to have one of those!!!

Aren't Villa's games in hand Spurs and Everton? They'll be an element of teams around us taking points off each other. We just need to average around 2 points a game as we have all season and we will be in the top 4.

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I’m hoping their flat performance was because they’re knackered like we are rather than taking it easy to prioritise tomorrow .....

3 minutes ago, supernuk said:

They also drew against West Brom.. Just don't rate them I think even our injury hit squad can get a win. 

I just think it’s going to be harder than maybe you think, even with our starting 11 these type of teams give us a real problem.

Hopefully they too are on their 4rse’s & maybe with us down to the bones we don’t try to over complicate our build up play.

I imagine they will just be happy to sit firm and try and do us on the set pieces knowing they won’t leave space for Vardy and that Maddison and Barnes aren’t there to cause them issues in their box.

We won’t be getting 4 goals against them I’m sure of that, there will be a single goal difference in this I think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BKLFox said:

I just think it’s going to be harder than maybe you think, even with our starting 11 these type of teams give us a real problem.

Hopefully they too are on their 4rse’s & maybe with us down to the bones we don’t try to over complicate our build up play.

I imagine they will just be happy to sit firm and try and do us on the set pieces knowing they won’t leave space for Vardy and that Maddison and Barnes aren’t there to cause them issues in their box.

We won’t be getting 4 goals against them I’m sure of that, there will be a single goal difference in this I think.

I'm certainly not expecting us to spank them but I'm optimistic we can get a skinny win. You're exactly right though they will definitely sit firm just hope we can show the creativity needed, is tavares worth a start? Have to admit never seen him play. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Aren't Villa's games in hand Spurs and Everton? They'll be an element of teams around us taking points off each other. We just need to average around 2 points a game as we have all season and we will be in the top 4.

Haha, I fell for that last season lol

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, OrielCaziado said:

Just noticed they’ve only scored 18 goals all season. I’d love to know how many of them were from corners and free kicks crossed into to the box.  

7 from dead balls.  1 penalty.  Sp presumably 10 from open play.

2 hours ago, STUHILL said:

Just watched their Spurs game highlights and boy did they have a stinker! No closing down at all from them and just let Spurs walk through them

Imagine Dyche will be looking for a much better defensive display and we may come up against a typical Burnley wall and them looking to score from set plays.. aka our two biggest weaknesses! :sweating:

No idea which Leicester are going to show up. Just hope we manage the game well and not give away cheap corners or fouls. 

If you think that was bad, you should have seen the West Brom game.  It was only West Brom's total inability to score when put through 2 against 1, or when faced with a literally empty net from 6 yards out, that got us a draw.  If you're as bad as you are making out, it could be a poor, poor game!

But Chris Wood might be back.  He's due a few belters, and when better to start.  ;)

9 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

What’s the word up there  ..... we know our boys are exhausted but few fans of other clubs out there appreciate that ..... 

Most of our first team are fit, apart from the right wingers Gudmondsson and Brady, and Pieters the reserve left back and right winger.  The forwards seem to be rotating two available for any game out of the four.  Wood and Vydra (the anagram), say the rumours for tomorrow.  Don't expect many subs because we haven't much experience on the bench.  If anyone's injured, Bardsley will be the sub.

Kasper 

Castagne Cags Evans Thomas 

YT Ndidi

Under Nacho Ricaddo

Vards

Now or never time for Under really. He'll get the opportunity he's been after purely by default, gotta take it tbh. 

Outside chance Rodgers goes for 352 with Amartey coming in and wing backs because he's THAT serious about not playing Under haha but I think he'll probably now start. He has to really. We're so short of pace it's unreal up front. 

Edited by Finnegan

We are well and truly ducked. I feel a post Prague apocalypse like the post Wycombe one 20 years ago. If we do then We'll lose the next 3 against relegation fodder and end up 13th with 52 points with a run of 12 consecutive defeats only halted by beating Spurs on the last day. 

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Kasper 

Castagne Cags Evans Thomas 

YT Ndidi

Under Nacho Ricaddo

Vards

Now or never time for Under really. He'll get the opportunity he's been after purely by default, gotta take it tbh. 

Outside chance Rodgers goes for 352 with Amartey coming in and wing backs because he's THAT serious about not playing Under haha but I think he'll probably now start. He has to really. We're so short of pace it's unreal up front. 

To be fair playing Amartey in't a bad idea too help with Burnleys treat from set pieces.

If Wood starts for Burnley I fancy them to unsettle us.

He's a huge player (in every sense) as he's great in the air, but most importantly wins the battles up top and brings the co-striker into goal scoring positions.

I sense this is going to be a really tough game for us. Going to be a close one.